Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM

53 posts, read 142,877 times

Advertisements

i just go by what most travel sites, or search tools accept ...DCA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 PM

84 posts, read 275,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
There's already a school named for a sitting POTUS? Yikes, talk about a jinx.

Even though I like our current president, people really should wait until a president's completed both terms before naming new buildings. And president names should go on new buildings only, IMO. Renaming established structures or cities makes me uncomfortable, it's the sort of thing I expect dictators do. That's why I never called Cape Canaveral "Cape Kennedy."
Totally agree!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,470,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's an insult to Reagan that they forced this name onto those who didn't want it. Not only that, Reagan would not have approved it. Remember, "...Government is the problem." I'll say it again. I loved Reagan. IMO, he was one of our greater Presidents. However, the way this was done was counter to what made him great. Sure, it's done and we have to accept it, but I consider this "honor" a dishonor to the memory of a great man. Get it?
I do hear what you're saying, I just don't agree that this situation falls under the "government is the problem" issue.

Reagan would not have approved it? He wasn't dead when it was renamed...

I assume by "those who didn't want it" you mean the air traffic controllers... the ones who went on strike illegally. I don't think the opinions of criminals should count.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,658,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I do hear what you're saying, I just don't agree that this situation falls under the "government is the problem" issue.
Congress forces a name change on locals who don't want it. That's a government problem.

Quote:
Reagan would not have approved it? He wasn't dead when it was renamed...
He was suffering from dementia. He did not know that they were doing it. Some years before, he had expressed that he didn't want an honor like that. Wish I k new how to find the quote.

Quote:
I assume by "those who didn't want it" you mean the air traffic controllers... the ones who went on strike illegally. I don't think the opinions of criminals should count.
The air traffic controllers obviously would be opposed, but they are not the ones I was referring to. The locals who live here did not want it renamed. It made sese to only Republicans on Capital Hill. Congress has no business telling local airports what they should be named. They could have renamed the U.S. Capitol building the Ronald Reagan U.S. Capitol, but they had no right to rename Washington National airport over the objection of local citizens. It reminds me of all the Saddam posters and statues that he had put up all over Iraq and people who hated him had to put up with the "honor" in their faces everyday. If left to the locals, do you think they would have chosen to honor Reagan this way? Did Congress force Houston to name their airport after Bush I, or did locals decide to do it themselves? You guessed it, it was the locals. That's why I object to the name change. I accept that there is no choice but to accept it, but I will not call it Reagan airport.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,850,634 times
I've noticed the local newscasters have taken to calling it National Airport lately. Whatever that may or may not mean.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,866,991 times
I call it 'Reagan National' to cover all my bases. When airports come up in my conversation, my main goal tends to be usually succinct communication, not political persuasion.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,138,689 times
I call it by its proper name, "Washington National". Reagan wasn't even a Virginian and was unworthy of having anything named after him in the Commonwealth.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,643,769 times
Reagan National.

I moved here after the name change, so it doesn't sound unusual to me.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,972,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Reagan wasn't even a Virginian and was unworthy of having anything named after him in the Commonwealth.
I don't agree. I think Reagan is worthy of having a building named after him. There are lots of buildings named after all sorts of people around here and it's fine by me. I don't think Reagan, or ANYONE, is worthy of having a building RE-named after them. Once a building has a name, that's the name it should keep unless the rights to the name have been bought.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,466,431 times
I guess the conservatives figured if they can rename Idlewild airport John F. Kennedy airport, they'll do the same with National
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia