Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 16,443 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any lakes or ponds that don't have a lot of people around? I have 2 black labs that I take swimming - they are both professionally trained and don't bother anyone when off-leash but I prefer to take them places that they won't bother people that are trying to fish. I don't mind driving a bit out of the area, I am just not that familiar with Loudoun County or other outlying areas. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,507 times
Have you tried the boat ramp on Lake Audubon in Reston? It is on Twin Branches Road between South Lakes Drive and Lawyers Road.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlygirly View Post
Anyone know of any lakes or ponds that don't have a lot of people around? I have 2 black labs that I take swimming - they are both professionally trained and don't bother anyone when off-leash but I prefer to take them places that they won't bother people that are trying to fish. I don't mind driving a bit out of the area, I am just not that familiar with Loudoun County or other outlying areas. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
You want the doggie splash. I believe the park is called Seneca Park. It's the big park you'll find at the end of Seneca Road (right along the border of Loudoun and Fairfax Counties). Take the dirt trail down to the river. The doggie splash is about 3/4 mile down the path. It's a section of the river that is protected by islands and beaver dams. You'll usually see at least 3-4 dogs there. Dogs just love it! Sometimes people swim there, although it's really too shallow for that.

Also, many HOA pools open for a special "dog swim" on the Saturday after the pools officially close (usually Labor Day).

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Have you tried the boat ramp on Lake Audubon in Reston? It is on Twin Branches Road between South Lakes Drive and Lawyers Road.
That's where we took our labs to swim, for many years, until I got a ticket for having a dog off leash. I am happy to hear that it is being allowed again. As long as the Restonites don't complain, it should be ok.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
That's where we took our labs to swim, for many years, until I got a ticket for having a dog off leash. I am happy to hear that it is being allowed again. As long as the Restonites don't complain, it should be ok.
I don't know that it is "allowed" but I do see people taking their dogs for a swim at the boat ramp. I also see LOTS of dogs off leash on the trails of Reston.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:58 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,290 times
There's a dog park with a stream to play in over by Shirlington:

ArlingtonDogs - Local Dog Parks

Shirlington Park - Arlington, VA

Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
Went to the Doggie Splash today, took a few photos to give you an idea of what to expect. Please note, your dog will get muddy!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,376,966 times
This is very much out of the way, but Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis, MD has a beach reserved for dogs.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM

4 posts, read 16,443 times
Thanks so much to all of you for the great suggestions! We tried out the boat ramp at Lake Audubon last week and they had a blast! We will be trying the doggie splash next. Thanks for the pics Normie, looks like your pups look are having a great time.

Last edited by Curlygirly; 08-29-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Interesting note about the dog splash. In a recent storm a tree fell over and that created a little set of falls. We were just up there, and the falls are digging themselves deeper and deeper. There's still a large, safe area for dogs to play. But the whole area has a new look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia