U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM
 
7 posts, read 13,995 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am new to these forums but have been doing lots of searches.

My husband and I will be moving to Fairfax County as he has a new job on Capitol Hill and I have a new job in Alexandria. We think Fairfax County makes the most sense for us due to the schools as our children are 5 and 8 years old. We also have a dog (30 pound mix breed).

We are looking to rent a house for now and have been searching around Annandale as our rental budget is low (around $1900). We have found some rentals in the Braddock Elementary school district. How is this neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2009, 05:44 PM
 
5,073 posts, read 8,649,213 times
Reputation: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2Fairfax View Post
I am new to these forums but have been doing lots of searches.

My husband and I will be moving to Fairfax County as he has a new job on Capitol Hill and I have a new job in Alexandria. We think Fairfax County makes the most sense for us due to the schools as our children are 5 and 8 years old. We also have a dog (30 pound mix breed).

We are looking to rent a house for now and have been searching around Annandale as our rental budget is low (around $1900). We have found some rentals in the Braddock Elementary school district. How is this neighborhood?
The neighborhoods in that district are a mix of pleasant suburban single-family houses (most built in the 1960s to 1980s) close to Braddock or Ravensworth Roads, as well as aging garden apartment complexes off Little River Turnpike. Some of the latter have a rough reputation by NoVa standards.

The elementary school serves a diverse and increasingly Hispanic student population. Here's the school profile:

FCPS - School Profiles - Braddock ES

I recall reading on either this forum or another forum that the principal at Braddock was very highly regarded and had received several awards for her work at the school.

Last edited by JD984; 07-18-2009 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
 
7 posts, read 13,995 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for the information and the link, JEB77. I checked with the West Springfield Police department and they said that the area with single family houses is pretty safe and quiet. I will do some research on the school and the principal.

I will be working near North Beauregard Street and Seminary Road. Do you know if that would be a difficult commute from Annandale? I would be working from 9 am to 5 pm.

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 PM
 
5,073 posts, read 8,649,213 times
Reputation: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2Fairfax View Post
Thank you for the information and the link, JEB77. I checked with the West Springfield Police department and they said that the area with single family houses is pretty safe and quiet. I will do some research on the school and the principal.

I will be working near North Beauregard Street and Seminary Road. Do you know if that would be a difficult commute from Annandale? I would be working from 9 am to 5 pm.

Thank you again!
Seems like a pretty easy commute - just go down 236 (Little River Turnpike) east toward Alexandria and then take a left on Beauregard Street to the intersection with Seminary Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM
 
515 posts, read 1,509,972 times
Reputation: 234
Frankly, I think you would be better off finding something in the Canterbury Woods or Wakefield Forest school districts of Annandale.

Commute would be reasonable from either area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2009, 05:11 AM
 
7 posts, read 13,995 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Seems like a pretty easy commute - just go down 236 (Little River Turnpike) east toward Alexandria and then take a left on Beauregard Street to the intersection with Seminary Road.
Great! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2009, 05:12 AM
 
7 posts, read 13,995 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
Frankly, I think you would be better off finding something in the Canterbury Woods or Wakefield Forest school districts of Annandale.

Commute would be reasonable from either area.
I looked on the map and that is farther away from I-395. Why would those school districts be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 AM
 
5,073 posts, read 8,649,213 times
Reputation: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2Fairfax View Post
I looked on the map and that is farther away from I-395. Why would those school districts be better?
It's basically the issue that gets played out on this forum time and time again - schools like Canterbury Woods and Wakefield Forest have fewer lower-income students and students for whom English is a second language than a school like Braddock. As a result, their test scores are typically higher.

The question that you probably would want to ask is whether students who don't require the special assistance that lower-income and/or ESL students may receive also thrive in schools such as Braddock. In general, you'll find more posters on this forum who will simply steer you to the less diverse schools (often in their own current or former neighborhoods) on the assumption that you're seeking out the schools with the highest test scores.

I would agree with DC Oldtimer, however, that the commute to Beauregard and Seminary from Annandale neighborhoods right outside the Beltway such as Canterbury Woods and Wakefield Forest would still be pretty reasonable by DC/NoVa commuting standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 AM
 
943 posts, read 2,783,537 times
Reputation: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Seems like a pretty easy commute - just go down 236 (Little River Turnpike) east toward Alexandria and then take a left on Beauregard Street to the intersection with Seminary Road.
In the morning, as soon as you move past the Intersection of Braddock Road and Little River Turnpike as you are moving east on Little River Turnpike the traffic basically stops and you are crawling for a few miles as you head towards Beauregard Street. Not an easy drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 AM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,906,551 times
Reputation: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In the morning, as soon as you move past the Intersection of Braddock Road and Little River Turnpike as you are moving east on Little River Turnpike the traffic basically stops and you are crawling for a few miles as you head towards Beauregard Street. Not an easy drive.

I'd cut over from 236 to Columbia Pike and hang a right on Lincolnia Rd and take it to Beauregard...thus avoiding the entire mess of the 236/I-395/Beauregard interchange.

disclaimer: I do that every morning in my school bus....but it's about 8:00am and it's a breeze....can't guarantee what traffic's like earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top