U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM

7,525 posts, read 9,624,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
(Pssst... dkf747... Chi-Chi's went out of business in '04. )
I kind of knew that. Still not sure what is meant by "chi-chi" though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:55 PM

6,530 posts, read 9,211,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Sounds like Old Town Alexandria from the description. Sounds right though, that's been under construction for like a decade.
Oh, okay.... I'm starting to get confused in this thread...

Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 AM

1,628 posts, read 2,408,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Route 1 ???

What town are we talking about?

As far as I am aware, you can get into Front Royal on 340, 522, 55, and Happy Creek Rd......

Are you talking about a different town?

See up there in the upper right corner of this little box where it says "Alexandria, VA"???

I said:
Where I live, there is a one-mile stretch of main road that goes from 45 to 25 for no reason, then back up again. There is ALWAYS someone pulled over there. It's a ridiculous abuse of power.

You said:
Which stretch are you talking about?

I said:
On Route 1, just North of the bridge into Old Town.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 PM

515 posts, read 1,071,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whfrzzz View Post

I had checked my storage and basement before filing a police report. The very next morning after noticing the items missing I went to a flea market in Front Royal and there was a man there who had a table set up with every item on it BELONGED TO ME. I called the police who came - conferred with each other and told me it was my word against the man selling my property. They then ordered me off the property - even after I told them I had pictures of all the items. I was informed that I could sue the man - I have no idea who he is or where he can be found. I suspect the fellow may be kin to the local police - probably on both sides of the family.
If I were you, I'd report this incident to the mayor and every person on the city council. If you are really close to leaving you hopefully dont have to worry about police retaliation.

If you don't want your name to get out and really want to make a stink, pick a columnist or reporter at the local newspaper, call and tell your story. Ask that your name be withheld. If you get this in the paper that just might be the sunshine needed to disinfect the cesspool.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM

6,530 posts, read 9,211,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
See up there in the upper right corner of this little box where it says "Alexandria, VA"???

I said:
Where I live, there is a one-mile stretch of main road that goes from 45 to 25 for no reason, then back up again. There is ALWAYS someone pulled over there. It's a ridiculous abuse of power.

You said:
Which stretch are you talking about?

I said:
On Route 1, just North of the bridge into Old Town.

Nice tone. A simple "Alexandria, VA" without being a wise-a$$ would have sufficed...

Forgive me for getting confused in a thread about Front Royal, for thinking that we were talking about..... Ya know..... FRONT ROYAL!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 AM

52 posts, read 141,806 times
There are legitimate points on which to critique Front Royal, but I don't see many here.

The police enforce speed limits?! The intimation of a corrupt --and inbred-- police force based on a sketchily detailed and unfortunate incident of theft? Complaints of traffic delays and shoddy roads (quite possibly related to a program of road improvements at key access points to the town, ongoing for many months)?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,236,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whfrzzz View Post
Avoid Front Royal Va at all costs. I am in process of leaving just as quickly as I can.
What you described happens in alot of areas. As far as speeding... well, maybe someone shouldn't be speeding or else they can expect to get a ticket?

Your front and back porch belongings: this is unfortunate that a thief took your things. Next time, bolt or chain and padlock your furniture so no one can steal it. Or maybe get a wireless camera on the front and back of the house so when something occurs there is now evidence. And if you ever run into that guy who stole your things, just get close and whisper in his ear something like, "If I ever catch you on my property again I will f **k you up." And then walk away while staring at him and point your finger at him. He'll get the message.

BTW, aren't there alot of govt agencies and businesses that are moving into that area? If so, Front Royal will soon shed its reputation as a recovery town.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 PM

684 posts, read 678,530 times
Default Lived here four years and hate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
So, the problem with Front Royal is that the cops strictly enforce speed laws....and if you leave your stuff outside unattended, somebody might take it.

Sounds like a LOT of places to me....
Sorry, I have to agree with the original poster -- this place is a speed trap. We've been in NoVA/Shenandoah for 4 years total, and in Front Royal for 3, and it's an armpit. It is a massive speed trap, and I am a law-abiding citizen who believe in enforcing speed limits. But here it crosses the line into entrapment.

The theft story doesn't surprise me a bit. We live in one of the nicest subdivisions in the area and have had to kick teenagers off our back porch, smoking pot. And they had to climb a fence to do that. Multiple times. In what way is that remotely acceptable? And who goes to funerals in jeans? That's just disrespectful. There's no class out here. Did you know FR has one of the highest dropout rates in the state?

And did you know we have a superfund site? Beware of the water. The traffic delays depicted are entirely accurate, so when you add that to your 2-hour commute from DC, you're desperate by the time you finally get home.

We can't wait to leave, either, but there are so many houses on the market, we'll never sell ours. The desperation in this area is palpable.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM

239 posts, read 414,720 times
I've heard the FR cops use dogs at the motels to sniff out pot smokers. Yes, it is illegal, but is that a proper use of police authority? Probably not. Someone once told me that Manassas is like Paris (France) compared to Front Royal.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 PM

4,218 posts, read 5,276,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
I've heard the FR cops use dogs at the motels to sniff out pot smokers. Yes, it is illegal, but is that a proper use of police authority? Probably not. Someone once told me that Manassas is like Paris (France) compared to Front Royal.

And if I told you that DC cops use mirrors to make sure all women are wearing underwear would you believe it automatically? Point is, don't believe all you hear. It's quite possible they are doing interdiction work at the hotels which would be a very legitimate LE function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia