Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
So, the problem with Front Royal is that the cops strictly enforce speed laws....and if you leave your stuff outside unattended, somebody might take it.

Sounds like a LOT of places to me....

This was kind of my thoughts.... I, admittedly, have not lived in Front Royal, but worked there for 2 years and really don't have anything terrible to say about the place.

Yeah, there are bottle-necks off of I-66 into town. Did the OP mention that this is because there are two bridges over the two forks of the Shenandoah leading into town and that they are completing renovation on one of them to WIDEN it and avoid this problem?? Seems the OP left out that part... Never seen where contruction didn't cause traffic issue of some sort.... Now admittedly again, it seems this project has dragged on a little longer than it had to, but that's just the world of highway construction, not Front Royal...

Yeah, they set up some pretty nasty speed traps and I have gotten nabbed once, but guess what? I know better now and won't do it again...

As far as stuff being stolen off your property? That's terrible of course. It seems that you're blaming the police or think they should have dragged the guy off in cuffs from the flea market..... Deal is that you need to go through the legal process. Again, that's not a Front Royal thing, that's a law thing...

This isn't to say that Front Royal is without issues. Heck, the ongoing issue with double-taxing waterbills on restaurants out by I-66 stands to wreck what little new industry/shopping is available to the town.. THAT is a Front Royal/Warren County issue....
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
LOL, looks like "chi chi" is the word of the day! Hey, it's Monday, I think we need a "chi chi" contest to perk things up--the person who says it the most times today gets an award!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Yes, I would advise you to take a concealed carry course and carry a gun in Reston, it's dangerous where you live. There's nothing "chi chi" about it.
LOL, I think both of you are being extreme. Reston is a nice middle class/upper middle class neighborhood. I would not call it "chi chi" nor would I call it dangerous.

Quote:
I have friends who are gay and lived in Front Royal for 15 years, in two different houses. They love Front Royal.

Perhaps Scranny would like it there. Nice small town with very little crime. Not at all ''chi chi'', but very nice people.
Gotta agree here. A young gay guy looking for a small town would likely be happier in Front Royal than Culpeper. I do know a few gay people who live out near Front Royal, they seem to like it. I don't think there's much of a gay scene in Culpeper--you're more likely to encounter bored "red necky" types who get their kicks out of harrassing gays.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Does "chi-chi" mean there is a Chi Chi's restaurant there?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
It looks like Reston Town Center has some excellent higher-end stores - chains, yeah, but chains I heartily countenance, so it's all good.

I mean, if you're in NoVA and want to check out the sales at Anthropologie, it's Tysons (ick - and I mean the area's congestion/ugliness, not the overhyped übermall itself) or RTC. And the only Origins store in NoVA outside of the two in Arlington (at Fashion Centre and the Market Common) are at RTC. So, I guess in a retail sense, at least, Reston could be described as "chi-chi" (or "chi chi" or "chichi").

(Pssst... dkf747... Chi-Chi's went out of business in '04. )

Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
So, the problem with Front Royal is that the cops strictly enforce speed laws....and if you leave your stuff outside unattended, somebody might take it.

Sounds like a LOT of places to me....
I think the point is that the speed laws are arbitrary in the first place.

The speed limit goes up and down at random, and the cops bank on the statistical likelihood of most people missing at least one of the signs.

Where I live, there is a one-mile stretch of main road that goes from 45 to 25 for no reason, then back up again. There is ALWAYS someone pulled over there. It's a ridiculous abuse of power.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I think the point is that the speed laws are arbitrary in the first place.

The speed limit goes up and down at random, and the cops bank on the statistical likelihood of most people missing at least one of the signs.

Where I live, there is a one-mile stretch of main road that goes from 45 to 25 for no reason, then back up again. There is ALWAYS someone pulled over there. It's a ridiculous abuse of power.
Which stretch are you talking about? I recall there are some anomalies around town with the speed limits and such... Some of them simply make no sense too..... Like why on Earth is the speed limit 25 at point X when it appears you could go 50 without a problem and without putting anyone at risk?

Weird, but again, no reason to trash the whole town IMO..

Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Which stretch are you talking about? I recall there are some anomalies around town with the speed limits and such... Some of them simply make no sense too..... Like why on Earth is the speed limit 25 at point X when it appears you could go 50 without a problem and without putting anyone at risk?

Weird, but again, no reason to trash the whole town IMO..
On Route 1, just North of the bridge into Old Town. It's been a "work zone" with no work going on for over a year.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
On Route 1, just North of the bridge into Old Town. It's been a "work zone" with no work going on for over a year.
Route 1 ???

What town are we talking about?

As far as I am aware, you can get into Front Royal on 340, 522, 55, and Happy Creek Rd......

Are you talking about a different town?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Sounds like Old Town Alexandria from the description. Sounds right though, that's been under construction for like a decade.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,080 times
Quote:
Reston is chi chi? You are hilarious! Reston is NOT McLean! Did you not read anything about Reston before you moved there? It's had gangs for a VERY long time, at least a decade. Were you not aware of all the section 8 housing that Gerry Connelly and Kathy Hudgins put into Reston? Were you not aware of the problems at Hughes and South Lakes, the middle school and high school for Reston?

Yes, a nut got loose in Leesburg. Came from Baltimore and decided to rob a jewelry store. Screwed that up and messed up everything after that. Fortunately no one was hurt. That doesn't make it Reston! Sheeze.

Yes, I would advise you to take a concealed carry course and carry a gun in Reston, it's dangerous where you live. There's nothing "chi chi" about it.
I hope you're joking. This is a haha moment right? Reston is not th' hood! You ever read the local section of the Post? Every time you turn around someone in DC and PG county is getting shot. There was an article about some folks in Suitland who are scared to leave their house after ten. Yes Reston has crime just like everywhere but it's far from being dangerous. I would say the same about Leesburg but I don't know it that well but from what I've seen Leesburg is very nice and I'd venture to say nicer than Reston. Isloated incidents don't make a place dangerous.

I mean really and truly there is no hood in this part of VA. I"m sorry the skankiest ugliest part of Fairfax county does not compare to some real war zones out there. We are all fortunate to live in such a nice safe area. I'm not naming names but I have a feeling that some of the people who complain about these "horrible" places in Northern Virginia have not actually spent time in the actual hood where people are getting shot and it really is dangerous and therefore don't know what a dangerous neighborhood looks like. I could be wrong so I'm not making blanket statements but yeah when you start saying Reston, Virginia is dangerous you start sounding so extreme. Not trying to attack anyone but yeah Reston is a nice place.

Now I will say that no it is not "chi chi". Reston is very middle class which is part of why I like it. Reston is so neat and trimmed with just good middle class folk. I've always thought Reston as nice looking and aesthetically pleasing. I mean I love some of those contemporary 60's/70's style houses. I love how nice and clean it is there. I love the trees. So yeah I'm sorry but Reston is awesome. I agree that those with beemers and audis probably live in nearby areas like those huge houses in the north part of Oakton or Vienna. As nice as Reston is it doesn't strike me as home to the elite.

As far as section 8 goes well I think the design was to include the poor when Reston was originally designed. I could be wrong but I think including housing for the poor was done on purpose. A lot of poor people do live in the suburbs and those folks taking your order at Burger King have to live somewhere too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia