Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:56 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,235,199 times

Advertisements

Hello forum,

It's your favorite windbag here once again to politely ask for your expertise and wisdom! On Thursday a large group of people from work are headed into DC to see the Nationals game. Our boss had offered to take people along from our main office in Herndon, but his car is already full (a friend and I decided last minute to toss our hats into the ring to jump on board). Anyhow here's some specifics:

1.) I work at our agency's Tyson's Corner office and am usually home around 3:30 PM. My friend works in Herndon and can also be home for around 3:30-4 PM. The game starts at 7:05 PM.

2.) Two other co-workers who live in Centreville are also considering attending the game. They would probably be home by around 4:30 PM.

Is it possible for me to drive my co-worker and I from Reston down to Centreville to pick up the other two and still get to a Metro station in time to get to the Nationals game at 7:05 PM?

I printed the following off:

I can board a train on the Orange Line of the Metro at the Vienna Metro Station (Nutley & I-66) at around 5:30 PM, get to L'Enfant Plaza in the District around 6:10 PM, transfer to the Green Line, and arrive at the Navy Yard station about five minutes later. From there we could walk a few minutes to the stadium with an estimated time of arrival around 6:35 PM I would imagine (giving us ample time to find our seats and grab a hot dog or something).

Can anyone think of anything easier? Should I tell my Centreville co-workers to go on the Metro themselves and drive my Reston co-worker and I to the West Falls Church Metro station and hop the Orange Line there? I'm thinking this may be the way to go because I know how congested traffic on Route 7100 gets between Reston and Centreville at around 5 PM, and I'm sure hopping on I-66 between Centreville and Nutley St. would be a parking lot. How is parking along the Orange Line in the late-afternoon? I'd imagine spots would free up anytime after 4-5 PM when the DC commuters spill back out and go home, correct? I know this sounds stupid too, but HOW do I park? Do you need a SmarTrip Card to get into the parking lot, or is someone manning a booth to take your cash? If the parking lots are full where else is there to park? Adjacent residential neighborhoods?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:44 PM

722 posts, read 1,973,352 times
I can't answer your question about timing - not well, anyway But as for parking, finding spaces at Vienna or WFC at that time should be fine. You don't need anything to get into the lots, they have an automatic gate that opens to let you in. But you can't use cash on the way out.

Parking in nearby neighborhoods is tough, most of them have restrictions. But on the off chance that the lots are full, there are meters you can park at.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
I can't answer your question about timing - not well, anyway But as for parking, finding spaces at Vienna or WFC at that time should be fine. You don't need anything to get into the lots, they have an automatic gate that opens to let you in. But you can't use cash on the way out.

Parking in nearby neighborhoods is tough, most of them have restrictions. But on the off chance that the lots are full, there are meters you can park at.
Thanks for the tip of parking. When you say "can't use cash," would I be able to use a credit/debit card, or do I need to invest in a SmarTrip Card? I was thinking of picking one up anyways as I hope to use the Metro about once a week (and have been giving serious thought towards commuting on the FC bus from Reston to Tyson's Corner for work).

Old 07-19-2009, 05:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,973,352 times
You can do debit/credit at Vienna, but not WFC. You can do SmartTrip anywhere, though, so it's good to grab one. You can buy one at either of those stations (or any station with a parking lot). Lots of CVS stores sell them, too.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Do the balances on SmarTrip Cards gradually expire, like on many retail gift cards? For example, if I put $20 on a SmarTrip Card tomorrow and have only used $15 of that by next July, will they deduct $2/year or whatever for whatever balance is still outstanding at that point in time?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 PM

573 posts, read 2,497,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Do the balances on SmarTrip Cards gradually expire, like on many retail gift cards? For example, if I put $20 on a SmarTrip Card tomorrow and have only used $15 of that by next July, will they deduct $2/year or whatever for whatever balance is still outstanding at that point in time?
I can't imagine they would since it's not a gift card and they want people to use them vs. paper fare cards. And considering that the metro is so expensive, I'm not sure how you couldn't go through $20 in an entire year anyways...

Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 PM

628 posts, read 1,926,786 times
Go with your friend and tell the Centerville ones to go themselves. Why? You never know about traffic, and based on your calculations, you're cutting it too close. Additionally, IMHO getting to the ball park virtually at game time is robbing yourself of some enjoyment. Get there as early as you can; watch BP; have a beer early at the Red Porch in the stadium; or socialize at the Bull Pen tent outside the stadium where you can get food and drink. You're spending a lot of time and money on an evening--why shorten your fun to the game proper? Less stressful, too.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:05 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,286,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Metro - Fares - SmarTrip®

Not only do they not expire, but if you register your card, and lose it, Metro will replace it with its full value (minus $5 for the new card itself). But you have to register it, which you can do online.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM

248 posts, read 719,061 times
Right next to WFC parking ther eis a MARC commuter parking. Usually its cash only $4 or so.. and if there is no guard out there then its free.. its right there next to WFC parking and you wont miss it if you take a round of the parking or look at the otherside exit of WFC parkinglot... If am not wrong its the same parking lot used by Virginia Tech Falls Church Campus.

The metered parking right around the entrance of WFC parkinglot accepts coins and its a max of like 7 hours.. really.. I was shocked too.. so if u go with a bunch of coins or cash. I think you are covered parking at WFC either at MARC or street metered..

And

Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 PM

248 posts, read 719,061 times
There is a MARC rail transit parking right next to WFC station. Its right there.. on the other side exit.. you wont miss it if u drive around the outisde of WFC.. they take cash only $4 I think.. and if there is no gaurd out there then its free..

I used to park there all the time when I was flying out of National Airport.. coz There is no guard on Sunday.. so I pay when I enter on Friday and When I come out its free..

Also.. the metered parking on the street outside of WFC if I remember is 7 hour max.. you just need a bunch of coins..

Goodluck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia