U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 23,509 times

Advertisements

Take note of new people in the village. We had the asst. county adm. now we have the county adm. just moved. Were do people want to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 PM

738 posts, read 3,561,145 times
Thanks for bumping this thread up, but I think the one in the Richmond section needs it more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch0321 View Post
Hey Eric,
We should be closing on our atlantic home in the next month or so. We are the Atlantic home overlooking the new school construction at the top of the hill in South River. We are THRILLED about moving into this community and look forward to meeting all of you soon. The process has been incredible, and i dont know why some have had issues with Atlantic. They build beautiful homes that are truely quality. We have had our issues throughout the building process as with any builder, but Atlantic has been more than fair in compensating for errors that have occured... must be why they continue to move so many homes. See you soon... i cant wait for the Pumpkins!!!
Dutch, welcome to LV! Speaking of welcoming, we do not have a welcoming committee set up yet... but we're having our first meeting on the 5th, so you should try to come. Also there is going to be a chili cookoff on the 29th I think... Sign up for the community intra-net... it's been a little slow, so we need some more people on there posting and updating things.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:27 PM

578 posts, read 1,873,711 times
I had a couple of questions about this developement.

1) Why is this being done?
Caroline County is far away from northern VA.
It is a good 75 miles from DC, Dulles, and several counties away from bedroom communities like Prince William and Stafford.
I would think this would be MORE than an ample buffer to limit sprawl, at least Northern VA sprawl.
In fact Caroline County not only is closer to Richmond but is uses the Richmond area code.

2) Is Caroline County undergoing sprawl?
-Is the rural nature of the county in serious danger, or is it likely to remain rural due to it's distance from Northern VA?

3) In Caroline County do you get Richmond, DC, or both TV stations and newspapers and which city do people ID with, thanks.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 AM

1. From Ladysmith, it takes me 20 minutes to get to the intersection of Rt. 3 and I-95... a lot of residents of Spotylvania can't even say that. We are getting a lot of people moving from spotsy, looking for less sprawl and less expencive houses. Many of our residents have one person working in Fredericksburg or NoVa, and the other working in Richmond, so this is a good in-between for them. Some even go all the way to DC, but that's not as common. Personally, my wife and I both work in Richmond. Housing is less here than it is one county north, or one county south, plus the real estate taxes are half. Ladysmith Village was origionally targeting NoVa with marketing, but since the market has slowed up there, they are finding more and more people visiting from Richmond, where real estate prices haven't taken nearly as big of a hit.

2. Yes and no... considering the population of Caroline is only something like 23k people, it's going to take a while to get as bad as Spotsy which is at like 100k more... BUT, Caroline was in the top 3 counties in the state for % growth last year. Growth is coming, and Caroline county is getting ready by approving these large planned communities, so that growth will be focused and planned... plus the profers offered by the developers is helping to build schools, library, parks, and a YMCA. It's really a win-win. Caroline is the last rural county between DC and Richmond... growth is going to happen, but hopfully with planned communities like this one, the growth will be contained, so that most of the county can stay rural.

3. We get both news papers (as well as the free-lance star), but Richmond TV. (we get Richmond TV since the cable is from Ashland...) People probably ID with Fredericksburg the most... even the Fredericksburg bus system goes to Bowling Green and Ladysmith and Carmel Church...

If you have any more questions, ask away
=)

Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 AM

578 posts, read 1,873,711 times
Spotsylvania looked pretty rural to me on I-95 and in Masspanox, Thronburg.
I think it is mixed like Stafford, no?

Old 09-02-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Spotsylvania looked pretty rural to me on I-95 and in Masspanox, Thronburg.
I think it is mixed like Stafford, no?
True, I guess it's more rural than NoVa, but I wouldn't say Spotsy or Stafford are really rural counties anymore... look at population, shopping, tons of schools. (I think each has 5 or 6 highschools)

I think Caroline has 1/5 the population, 1/5 the schools, 1/5 the shopping, but Caroline is actually bigger size-wise than Spotsy or Stafford.

But you're right, in Stafford if you head west... or south-west in Spotsy, you eventually hit farm land and countryside... but I'd say each county is maybe 50/50 as far as sprawl to countryside goes... where-as Caroline is still probably 90/10, countryside/sprawl.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,033 times
Default Gimme Some More Ladysmith Info!

Hi there, I'm in Spotsy and found this website by mistake when I was searching for something on Google. lol

Anyway, my husband and I have been toying with the idea of moving, but have been unsure since it seems nothing is moving right now and we would have to sell our house....

BUT! (And I'm making this entirely too long)...I couldn't help but keep reading your posts on Ladysmith! I think it's so awesome that there are already activities and committees being formed in Ladysmith Village, what a nice sense of community you all are forming in the early stages of your Homeowner's Association.

We moved down to Fredericksburg from a planned community in the Woodbridge area, and went from having all those wonderful amenities such as a pool, community center, and Association planned activities, to a very quiet (aka Boring) neighborhood that is nice but lacks all of that. At the time when we bought the house, we didn't think we'd miss that so much and thought it was worth the trade off to have more house for less money. And we love the house we're in...But here we are two years later, still missing that sense of community and REALLY missing a pool to swim at during those wonderful hot humid Virginia summers (the public pools aren't so great).

So that's why we still think about moving every now and then...I know it can't happen anytime soon because we bought our house at the height of the market 2 years ago, and now we'd lose money if we sold it. But it's something to think about...

So I'm wondering if you could post anything additional information that you haven't already mentioned about Ladysmith Village - its amenities (will that pool really start construction in the fall?!), as well as the elementary school. Is that slated to open for next year, are those things definite? Also, what is the developer like, are they pleasant to work with on the Board of Directors (assuming they control the Board right now)...Geez. I have so many questions...Please just let me know all you can think of to tell someone considering moving there! The good and the bad about your neighborhood! I think it's beautiful and love the charm of it. The homes being placed close together is actually nice, even though I know some don't like that. I think it creates a nice sense of neighborliness and makes forming friendships within the community easier...And who needs a big yard to take care of?! Not us. It's a very charming neighborhood.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apey76 View Post
Hi there, I'm in Spotsy and found this website by mistake when I was searching for something on Google. lol
lol, I found the site the same way... but I'm glad I did.

Also, a lot of people in the development are from Spotsy. (I was born and raised there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apey76 View Post
So I'm wondering if you could post anything additional information that you haven't already mentioned about Ladysmith Village - its amenities (will that pool really start construction in the fall?!), as well as the elementary school. Is that slated to open for next year, are those things definite? Also, what is the developer like, are they pleasant to work with on the Board of Directors (assuming they control the Board right now)...Geez. I have so many questions...Please just let me know all you can think of to tell someone considering moving there! The good and the bad about your neighborhood! I think it's beautiful and love the charm of it. The homes being placed close together is actually nice, even though I know some don't like that. I think it creates a nice sense of neighborliness and makes forming friendships within the community easier...And who needs a big yard to take care of?! Not us. It's a very charming neighborhood.
1. The Resident's Club should begin construction this fall still... the site work is just about done. (they've been moving dirt around in that whole area for a few months now) I personally think it'll be open (at least the pool) by July of next year... but that's just my guess... the developer has only said 'By next pool season' or whatever.

2. The school is set to open January of next year. I think it'll open on time, judging by the progress that has already been made. They are dedicating a county 'youth park' near the school (still within the community) this fall, to open next year. It'll have ball fields and such.

3. The developer is great. The only negative thing I'd have to say is that they are based out of California, and I think sometimes they don't get some of the regional dynamic that is here... (this is their first community in VA, but I think they have 2 in MD). This developer seems to be very dedicated twards making the community look great. The grounds keepers are always adding new landscaping all over, and keeping the gras in the common areas looking like a green carpet. The community will have tons of stuff in it that most don't.

Well, I think I have listed most stuff... The work on the Amphitheater is going great, and it should easily be ready in time for the Pumpkin Festival (public event, you should come down). To the left of the Amphitheater will be a dog park... that hasn't been really announced much, but I can't wait.

I think that's most of the information. They have shown what the Resident's Club will look like from the outside, but they haven't made the inside plans public yet.

Remember that I'm just a resident, so nothing I say in here is official... (just a little disclaimer so people don't take what I say as official word)

If you have any other questions, just ask away

Oh, and since this community is close to Richmond too, I added a thread in that sub-forum, but I don't think anyone replied to it... but I remember I made a fairly long post in there about the community that might have included stuff that isn't in this thread.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,033 times
That's awesome, thanks for that info...And the Pumpkin Festival sounds fun, please let us all know when that will be, I just may come down and check it out!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Carved in Newland Communities Nationwide

It's a nation-wide event at all of the communities that this developer is working on. It's a fund raiser for habitat for humanity of Caroline and Homeaid.

It's October 20th, from 11 am until 8 pm. It's totally open to the public, so try to get as many people to come as you can... it's all for a good cause. I think our goal is to carve 1800 pumpkins... I hope we can beat that goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia