U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2007, 02:57 PM

62 posts, read 223,866 times

Advertisements

if anybody out there is looking for a really nice planned community i suggest that you check out Ladysmith Village, there is a library, a state of the art elementary that will is under construction, there are plans for a YMCA, community center with swimming pools, stores and resturants, playgrounds , walking and bike trails, village town center with a clock tower.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 04:51 PM

737 posts, read 2,755,407 times
Hey now, Ladysmith Village is MY plug

There's only room for one of us.....

Just kidding
:P
I was actually going to make a thread for the development once they have relieced images of the new over-all plan, and the visitor center has been remodeled. But now is good too.

If anyone has any questions, just ask...

Ladysmith Village is convenient to Richmond and Fredericksburg, and is do-able from Northern VA (a lot of people who live here actually work in NoVa)

Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 PM

It was such a nice day out today, I thought that I'd take a few pictures of the development.

First is a picture of a 'mew'. A mew is basically a street with grass instead of pavement... creating more of a park-like setting.

http://www.umsis.miami.edu/~edeibel/DSC02403.gif (broken link)

Most of the homes have access to alleyways. These alleys are the key in how the mews work, since people can drive to the back of their home and park in the garage. I think every builder has a garage and basement standard. (Spear builders is the only question)

http://www.umsis.miami.edu/~edeibel/DSC02405.gif (broken link)

Construction continues. This area was not hit as hard by the market slowdown as other areas have been. With a LOT of military jobs moving to the area, and being within commuting distance to NoVa, Fredericksburg, and Richmond, the development appeals to a wide market.

http://www.umsis.miami.edu/~edeibel/DSC02404.gif (broken link)

Here is a picture of the clock tower in Founder's Park. (It's just pretty, that's all)

http://www.umsis.miami.edu/~edeibel/DSC02406.gif (broken link)

And here is a picture of some of the first homes that were built. (notice the great grass... I am always impressed)

http://www.umsis.miami.edu/~edeibel/DSC02407.gif (broken link)

I just saw a copy of the new map, showing what the developer has planned... and it was pretty awesome. I'm not sure if I can say exactly what they have planned yet (well, at least what I saw on the map), but I was told that the renovated visitor center will be open early next month, with a very large copy of the new map, and a actual list of exactly what is planned to go where...

I hope the pictures help give an idea of the look the community is going for. The official website is: http://www.ladysmithvillage.com/
(the map on their website is the old one... I'll update this thread when they post the new one online)

Last edited by EricD; 04-24-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 06:32 PM

hey Eric what are they planning on doing to the south river section, other then the school

Old 04-25-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny34 View Post
hey Eric what are they planning on doing to the south river section, other then the school
From what I saw... and not trying to give out too much info or anything... but they had images of a soccer field within that section (apart from the school). There was another community center near the northern end of the section. It has it's own big entrence off of Ladysmith Road. And from what I saw, it showed a LOT of walking trails all through the woods, with pavilions scattered about for picnics and stuff. It'll most likely have it's own playground area, and as you mentioned, the elementary school (which I have heard is costing about $20 Million to build, and will house around 900 students). From South River, you'll be able to drive/bike down durrette road, to go to the YMCA, shoping, and the library. (it's not too far, I walk the route often) I have heard that the lots will be a bit wider in the South River section... I think the theme is more about nature, and countryside, rather than city/town inspired like Founder's Park is.

I hope I didn't say too much. :P but all this will be public info in a week or two anyways... Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Eric, since you seem to have the inside scoop on the new top secret master plan,....lol... tell me what are some of the changes, have you seen any renderings of the community center ? are there still going to be shops next to the library ? whats the deal with the ymca ? are they going to fix up the entrance to south river and have all the trees and lights ? i heard nuland bought up the 70 acres of land near the new union bank and that theres going to be some retail shops, and possibly a new main entrance into ladysmith. are there still plans for apartments ? is the school K thru 5 grade ?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Eric, since you seem to have the inside scoop on the new top secret master plan,....lol...
oi, I hope they just put all this info on their website soon, so I can boast about the community easier
:P
Quote:
tell me what are some of the changes, have you seen any renderings of the community center ?
As of Tuesday, they are still working on the final list of amenities for the community centers... but from the examples of what is on the list so far, it sounds like everything you'd get in a normal community center, plus a few things I hadn't thought of before.
Quote:
are there still going to be shops next to the library ?
Yep, they will be live-work units, where you can own an apartment above the shop. I think it will be up to you to either live there, or rent it out... but I'm not 100% sure.
Quote:
whats the deal with the ymca ?
They're breaking ground late this summer/early fall. The developers donated around 25 acres, and $800,000 to have the YMCA built.
Quote:
are they going to fix up the entrance to south river and have all the trees and lights ?
Yep, and also, Pendleton (the major competing development just south of Ladysmith Village) is going to have an entrence directly accross the street from the entrence to South River... I'm sure that will make for some nice competition, with an end result of very nice entrences

Quote:
i heard nuland bought up the 70 acres of land near the new union bank and that theres going to be some retail shops, and possibly a new main entrance into ladysmith.
Yes, I saw the purchase on the deed and property transfer list. I actually suggested at our HOA meeting in December, that they extend Library Blvd. to Ladysmith Road, and they said that they were already thinking about it. So I'll let you do the math yourself. :P
Quote:
are there still plans for apartments ?
Yes, there have to be apartments in the development... but where they will be located, I have not seen yet. I think maybe some of the area above the shops might be used as apartments? I haven't heard anything as far as location yet. But I know that the apartment complex shown in the origional map won't be there.
Quote:
is the school K thru 5 grade ?
That is still up for debate. Up until now, Caroline County schools have been divided into k-2 and 3-5 (I think that's the division). Some people want to change it, so that grades k-5 will go to school in the same buildings. I am not sure which side will win, but I doubt they'd be able to make the change too quickly, since it would involve re-organizing of teachers and other staff...

Ok, I think I answered all of that without even saying anything I wouldn't have known even if I hadn't seen that map.

If anyone else has any questions, just ask. (ok kenny, you can ask more too, but it sounds like you already know a lot about the community)

Old 04-29-2007, 01:26 AM

this is the dolley madison...6 bedrooms over 5000 sf
Attached Thumbnails
Ladysmith Village a planned community in Caroline County-dolley-e3.jpg  

Old 04-30-2007, 10:54 PM

well Eric i thought we might be neighbors down there in Ladysmith , but those folks that are selling the dolley madison didn't want to include a $ 4,200 walk-up egress ( that should be included with the basement to be begin with ) and a $ 2,500 trey ceiling in the master bedroom ....$ 6,700 in B S options blew a $ 450,000 deal.....LOL....its funny because that builder has been down there for almost 2 years and still has not sold that dolley madison model ...as a matter of fact they have only sold like 5 homes in almost 2 years.....what a joke !

Last edited by kenny34; 04-30-2007 at 11:09 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 AM

You've got to cut them a little of a break. They actually moved into the community a little while after everything got started. They took over Main Street Home's spot. They actually had to work out of the other builder's model while theirs were being built. By the time their model was built, the market was dead. (late last summer/early fall) This spring though, I have seen 4 of their homes started, and about 3 other lots with 'sold' signs on them. I think this is in part to a few things:

1. The market is turning around
2. They now include a garage (origionally it was extra)
3. They lowered their prices

As for the Dolly Madison, that is a huge home... I don't know if I'd ever want a house that big to be honest. The options... I'd think they would cave in... but their sales have really jumped lately, and they have already lowered their base prices, so I'm not sure. Have you checked out Somerset Homes? They have a very large model, and the last I have seen, they are including a huge master suite for free. (basically the normal master bedroom becomes a 'sitting room' and then there is a 'dressing area' and a closet above the mud room downstairs, and then a HUGE master suite above the entire garage...)
http://www.somersethomes.com/index.c...lngModelID=134
It may only have 4 bedrooms, plus whatever you can put in the basement... but it's a little cheaper than the Dolly Madison, and has one heck of a master suite... (on the interactive floor plan, add the 'owner's suite' option to see it)

But personally, I like Atlantic Builder's the most.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I went to a community meeting yesterday. They showed the finalized floor plan for the elementary school... it looked nice. They talked about the YMCA, which they said that the builder donated $1.5M for it to be built. That will be started late this summer, early fall.

If you have ruled out Ladysmith Village for now, you should come back around Memorial Day (I'll post the exact weekend), when they plan on having a kind of 'grand re-opening' (my term, not theirs). Basically, they will open the renovated visitor's center, show all their new plans to the public, and have a huge marketing campain leading up to it. I wonder if the builders might add some options into the pot, to make a lot of sales that weekend? It would be worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia