Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times

Advertisements

Working Hard-that is a huge generalization..."finding a shelf to stick the kid on while you work." My kids go to Kindercare and we love everything about it. Now, we did check out 2 other Kindercares and 2 other facilities and found this particular one to be best for us. You can find a preschool where the teachers are just as disinterested in teaching as one at a daycare. Or you can go to a preschool and find great teachers as you can at some daycares. It all comes down to who is running the place and their beliefs as humans and educators.
Yes, there are a lot of spanish speaking individuals at daycares and preschools. BUT I think that is a wonderful ADVANTAGE. Not only do my kids get exposed to another culture but they also are learning another language-that can only benefit them when they are in school and in their adult life. (Lord knows I wish I knew more spanish than just the two years I studied)
I am glad your daughter seems to be doing great-that's awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
I'm glad you found an option that's the best for you. That was the whole point of my reply, to examine all the options and determine what is best for your particular circumstance. As for the Spanish language thing, that's also a matter of personal preference and I'm sure has been exhaustively debated in other sections of C-D. (I don't want to take this thread off-topic.) In our case, we ruled out several places for that reason alone in being concerned with the level of care provided or the people involved. My daughter is learning another language, which is my wife's first language, and doing quite well with it - much better than I am at times.

The school where she's at provides wonderful care and I have no concerns whatsoever knowing that she's in a safe, nuturing place with people I can trust. Being able to go to work each day without worries about her being there is priceless.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
That's great she is learning a language...I only wish someone had taught me when I was so young that I could soak it up!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I think most people in this highly educated, rich area send their kids to preschool. Preschool is much better than day care and really prepares your child for school. By the time my son left preschool he knew his alphabet and could read a little - he was even bored in Kindergarten because he learned it all already. Preschool also teaches a child social skills and gets them used to the structure of school. I wish they had it when I was a kid.............

Hey Mom, back in the Stone Age around here, they had something called "nursery school" for 4-year olds. Then, of course, Kindergarten for 5-year olds. I attended both....but I don't think FCPS offered either in the 50's because I went to a private school in Arlington for nursery and K.

The building is still there! Barcroft Community House

It was a one-room school in Arlington County Public Schools until 1925.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Both of my kids attended preschool for several years. 2 hours, twice a week when they were little. 4 hours, 2 or 3 times a week when they were older.

Preschool really helped them to adjust quickly to full day K. They easily separated from me and had the stamina to get through a full day of school.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Yes, nearly every child in FC goes to pre school. In over 25 years, I've never met a child in NOVA who did not attend pre school.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
Just another thought... sending kids to preschool helps them get their immune systems stronger. Granted that means more runny noses earlier on, but it does make a difference when they get into Kindergarten, so there are less sick days. Plus, I think the social environment is something that younger children really need. Sharing takes on whole new meaning when children go to school compared to home .

Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Just another thought... sending kids to preschool helps them get their immune systems stronger. Granted that means more runny noses earlier on, but it does make a difference when they get into Kindergarten, so there are less sick days. Plus, I think the social environment is something that younger children really need. Sharing takes on whole new meaning when children go to school compared to home .
Very true. My kids got lots of colds, stomach viruses, etc. when they were in preschool. But they haven't had to miss much time from elementary school at all.

And it was good that they entered K already knowing how to take turns, share, etc. It made the transition to K go very smoothly.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
Although preschool seems to be universal, I do know several families in McLean who chose to wait until kindergarten (or first grade, in one case) to send their children to school.
IMO, the best reason to send a child to preschool is to give him a place other than your own home for messy art projects, and to give him a person other than you to direct same, while you hit the gym.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,944 times
As an educator, I think that preschool is a huge must for developing social skills. When I was a kid, that's what we did in kindergarten, but academic standards are different now. You don't have to find a preschool that is going to teach your child rocket-science, but I think it's important for kids to get a good foundation for social structure, behavior boundaries and basic academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia