Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,719 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I frequently hear the refrain "traffic is much lighter in the summer." Well, I started my job June 22, so summer is all I've experienced so far. I am commuting from Alexandria (Edsall @ 395) to the Oakton area (Jermantown @ 123).

My route is Edsall to Backlick to Little River to Pickett. On average, I get to work in about 40 minutes. I've had it take as long as 55 minutes and be as short as 30 minutes. This with summer traffic.

To make a long story short, I am presently living with family, but am planning to get a place with a buddy of mine in the Fair Lakes area by December at the latest.

My question is this: Is traffic during the school year worse to such a degree that I ought to consider moving early (e.g., labor day weekend), and "eating" the extra rent until my friend is ready to move in? Or is traffic not really that different, meaning I can just wait until my friend is ready and save some bucks? Any ideas on how much longer I should expect my commute to be? I've heard "double" which would be untennable. But if it's more like 10 minutes, I could probably live with that.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,795 times
Great question! We moved here just about 3 weeks ago and have found the same thing in regards to traffic. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say. Maybe that's why nobody has posted an answer to your question....are they all out of town?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
It will be worse when all the buses and other school traffic gets added back in to traffic. Also, lots of vacationers will be back too.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
I think I'd rather face school year traffic (unless you're on side roads a lot). The first couple of school days can be bad, as parents/teachers/school bus drivers/etc. get used to their schedules and routines. But that generally settles down fairly quickly.

Summer traffic? More unpredictable than school year traffic, and often more heavy, especially on 95. If we had an outer beltway ... well, I won't go there. But I think there's more thru traffic on 95 during the summer than during the rest of the year.

Note that this comes from someone who commuted up and down 95 every day. We'd leave home before school buses would be out, and we'd get back home after most school buses were done for the day. I suspect I would have a totally different view had my commute involved school bus routes.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,719 times
GreenGene -

That's my concern. I take no highways. My whole route is on "side streets."

Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
GreenGene -

That's my concern. I take no highways. My whole route is on "side streets."
It will be alittle bit worse. since you're stating out at Edsall @ 395, you're much better off than someone starting from Old Town.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
I always allow an extra 10-15 minutes once school starts in the region. I drive from north Arlington to Tysons Corner and the traffic is definitely heavier, especially on the back roads. Most of the high schools in Fairfax County start in the 7:30 time frame so you have lots of extra bus and student traffic.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times
No, don't worry, it will probably be some extra but not anywhere near double. I'd save your money and wait until your roommate arrives.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
Hey all,

I frequently hear the refrain "traffic is much lighter in the summer." Well, I started my job June 22, so summer is all I've experienced so far. I am commuting from Alexandria (Edsall @ 395) to the Oakton area (Jermantown @ 123).

My route is Edsall to Backlick to Little River to Pickett. On average, I get to work in about 40 minutes. I've had it take as long as 55 minutes and be as short as 30 minutes. This with summer traffic.

To make a long story short, I am presently living with family, but am planning to get a place with a buddy of mine in the Fair Lakes area by December at the latest.

My question is this: Is traffic during the school year worse to such a degree that I ought to consider moving early (e.g., labor day weekend), and "eating" the extra rent until my friend is ready to move in? Or is traffic not really that different, meaning I can just wait until my friend is ready and save some bucks? Any ideas on how much longer I should expect my commute to be? I've heard "double" which would be untennable. But if it's more like 10 minutes, I could probably live with that.

Thoughts?
It'll be a little heavier but it won't be that noticeable. There's a high school at the corner of Pickett and Little River Turnpike that might slow you down depending on when you have to be at work.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Easy solution: Ask your neighbors what time the school bus arrives in your neighborhood. Then, make a point of leaving for work 15 minutes before that time.

Going to work early in the morning has a lot of benefits. If there's some reason you don't want to get to your job early, you can still drive to the area and then go to a gym or stop for coffee some place near your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia