Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,185 times

Advertisements

It seems opinions are easy to come by here, and I'm seeking yours.

My wife and I currently live in Hyattsville, MD, in a nice 1-br condo. In 2 years, she gets out of the USCG, and we'd like to start having kids. We will be leaving Prince George's County, and preferably Maryland, altogether. We are hoping to find a place with a low enough cost of living that my wife can forego employment for 5-7 years. We'll forego world class schools (FFX, MoCo) in favor of her being with the kids while they're very young.

I work shiftwork in DC. With 7 round trips every 28 days, I can deal with what would otherwise be a horrible commute. I'd like to keep it at about an hour for a 5:00 am departure, though I could do 1.5h, if there's a commuting alternative for when I have to work an office schedule.

We can afford $300k, easily, and as much as $450k, if we push it. The cheaper, the better, of course.

This, however, covers A LOT of ground: An arc running from Berryville, through Front Royal, Culpeper, to south of Fredericksburg. (And to think of it, quite a bit of Maryland as well). None is particularly better than others, from my perspective. My family has moved south, and hers is still in the midwest. I have friends all over the area, and the ones I have in Maryland are preparing to scatter as well.

We're looking for decent, safe schools. The wife and I both like gardening & mountain biking, camping, etc. The house doesn't need to be very big, but we'd like 3-4+ bedrooms, and a good-sized yard.

I grew up in Henrico, and she, in Indiana, and we're tired of the general rudeness we find inside the beltway. We will miss the restaurants, though, I suspect we'll miss them wherever we live, while we have small children. Plus, I can cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
How about Leesburg, Hamilton and Purcellville? They are closer than Front Royal, and very family friendly.

Congrats on moving to VA! Much nicer on this side of the river, and lower taxes too!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 AM

380 posts, read 1,159,278 times
Check out Jefferson County WV too. We have lower taxes, as well as a less hurried, and less rude attitude. Also if your wife wants to go back to work at some point there is the USCG facility in Kearneysville WV.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:01 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Oh for goodness sake. If you can afford up to 450K and you play your cards right you should be able to land a house in the best school pyramid in Fairfax. Prices here are not what they used to be. Go for it!

Go over to www.franklymls.com and put Canterbury Woods, Willow Woods, Red Fox Forest, Truro, Wakefield Forest in the search box (one at a time of course). Also put 22003 in the box with the neighborhood name. All of these are in the Woodson school pyramid. You may be pleasantly surprised at what pops up in these neighborhoods from time to time. Bargains are happening.

This rambler in Canterbury Woods sold for 515K a few years ago. It's now on the market for 350K.

FX7117313 on FranklyMLS.com 5009 FLEMING DR, ANNANDALE VA for $350,000 in CANTERBURY WOODS Home For Sale

Asking price on this one is 450K.

FX7110167 on FranklyMLS.com 8624 REGENCY CT, ANNANDALE VA for $450,000 in STONE HAVEN Home For Sale

I like the yard. Canterbury is a nice neighborhood. Not fancy but family friendly and close to a couple of parks and lots of shopping. And a huge rec center.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:01 AM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
I would guess that the more rural the community the friendlier it is. There's no guarantee, of course, but it seems like places a little outside of the urban/suburban areas might have a more midwestern, just regular folk feel, if you know what I mean by that. ;-)

Old 10-07-2009, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,395 times
The Northern Shenandoah Valley is a great place. The Valley Connector offers a variety of commuting options. Also the Valley Commuter Assistance Program can help with arranging ride sharing options.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
I was thinking along the same lines...Loudoun County seems like a good place for the OP and his wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
How about Leesburg, Hamilton and Purcellville? They are closer than Front Royal, and very family friendly.

Congrats on moving to VA! Much nicer on this side of the river, and lower taxes too!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson
I was thinking along the same lines...Loudoun County seems like a good place for the OP and his wife.
I would third this suggestion. In Leesburg, I would choose the neighborhood carefully, although the schools are good across the board. In Hamilton & Purcellville you can't go wrong.

There are nice places across the river too, should you consider staying in MD. Knoxville, Jefferson, Middletown are comparable to Hamilton & Purcellville, and Frederick is comparable to Leesburg, although like Leesburg, you should pick the neighborhood carefully. After the real estate meltdown, many of these areas lost value much faster than closer-in areas, so there are good deals to be had. IMO, the "smart money" is now re-buying those areas.

Be careful about buying for "low taxes." The fun is just getting started in terms of underfunded municipalities, and tax increases wil be the norm both north and south of the Potomac.

Loudoun County Offers Dismal Budget Outlook - washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia