Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times

Advertisements

This is a good idea as far as it's objective to balance the budget. I wouldn't shed a tear if they found bullet holes in the cardboard cops, but from a budget/manpower standpoint it is great. And, we could use some of those 9,000 cops to fight real (i.e violent) crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Herndon had a dummy named Bertha that they would position around town in a car years ago, aiming a radar gun, and it did deter speeding. However, they did not get the revenue from any potential citations, so I don't know if the practice continues today, since I cannot recall the last time I saw a police car in Herndon (then again, I'm not there every day), much less one with a dummy behind the wheel.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Herndon had a dummy named Bertha that they would position around town in a car years ago, aiming a radar gun, and it did deter speeding. However, they did not get the revenue from any potential citations, so I don't know if the practice continues today, since I cannot recall the last time I saw a police car in Herndon (then again, I'm not there every day), much less one with a dummy behind the wheel.
excellent point BMW. In fact, you bring up THE POINT as far as police actitity, and what their role should be in society. I believe that police should be there to protect us from dangerous, negligent, or otherwise serious lawbreakers who pose a threat to others. Police should NOT be used primarily for money making. The original idea of this post was to balance the budget, and in that respect it is a valid idea. Greedy cops, mayors, politicians, etc. who insist on ticketing otherwise law abiding citizens just for the money are part of the problem.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I believe that police should be there to protect us from dangerous, negligent, or otherwise serious lawbreakers who pose a threat to others.
More people in Nova are killed by drivers going over the speed limit than by someone committing a burglary. That sounds worthy of police attention to me.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't shed a tear if they found bullet holes in the cardboard cops
Yikes, I'd shed a tear if people started shooting guns while driving down the road no matter what they were aiming at! Besides, all those bullets and fragmented bits of cardboard would get messy. And you don't want to be a litterbug, do you?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
More people in Nova are killed by drivers going over the speed limit than by someone committing a burglary.
that may be true, but the cops usually target the light speeders. I can't tell you how many times there has been aggressive, reckless speeders whizzing by with no cops around. I realize that they can't be everywhere... but, I stand by my statement that 90% of the traffic stops are for harmless infractions (which further shows the reverse priority of money making vs. safety)

Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Yikes, I'd shed a tear if people started shooting guns while driving down the road no matter what they were aiming at! Besides, all those bullets and fragmented bits of cardboard would get messy. And you don't want to be a litterbug, do you?
what I meant was that "if" some thug did decide to be a bad*****, then at least it would be a cardboard cut-out and not a real cop. For my part, I will continue to link cops & donuts just for fun :-)

Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
that may be true, but the cops usually target the light speeders. I can't tell you how many times there has been aggressive, reckless speeders whizzing by with no cops around.
How do you know they aren't getting photo tickets?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
How do you know they aren't getting photo tickets?
I don't think VA issues photo tickets. Didn't they nix that idea?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:17 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
"Of course the one of the cop with the radar gun would only be believable on days with perfect weather. Ever notice how you never see the live ones out when the temp is below 65, over 85, or raining? I'm sure their motorcycles and radar guns see little use the other 75% of the year."

Not true. I saw Fairfax motorcycle police during our recent cold snap. They have special winter gear. I'll say it again: If you don't violate traffic laws, you have nothing to worry about. If you do, you deserve a ticket. People should also understand that many speed "traps" are set up because neigborhood residents request police enforcement. Radar checks in school zones make sense to me, unless citizens decide they have no problem endangering the safety of their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia