U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 AM

125 posts, read 360,770 times

Advertisements

Well as you may know from my previous posts we are running into logistical problems with our move. We now need to rent an apt until our house is sold and prior to putting in an offer for a house (we know exactly where we want to go in fairfax station).
My question is whether or not we can get an apartment that isn't in Lake Braddock Schools and still attend there? Does anyone know? I've contacted the school and the person who does know this is out on vacation (story of our lives lately
The neighborhood we like is in this school boundary and we don't want to pull our child from one school to the next.

This is really stressing us out if anyone can give us some insight--especially if you've been there yourself-we'd love to hear what you did. thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,321,812 times
I would contact Student Registration and ask for their help since the person that you need at the school is on vacation. As far as I know, you need to have residence in the school boundary or you can pupil place, if BOTH school principals agree.

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/0/e2cb9a45ecedcc3285256fd2004b8920/$FILE/R2230.pdf

If the school capacity and the school curricular program at the requested school will
permit, a request for a student transfer by exception may be approved by the
director of social work and support services. In addition to availability in the
requested school or program, based on the curricular program and school capacity,
one of the following conditions must exist:
1. Family Relocation
The family has moved from one school attendance area to another during the
school year or can demonstrate definite plans to do so. Proof of purchase or
rental must be provided with the request for student transfer. The new
residence must be the primary permanent residence for the student and the
student's family. Additional documentation may be requested to establish that
the new residence is bona fide and that the family has abandoned or will
abandon any other property as its primary residence.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:23 AM

thanks orangefish..I'll call them now.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,129,583 times
Talk to the Principal at the school you want to attend. He/She can give permission for your child to enroll there. Put off dealing with the central office until you absolutely must. They make everything more difficult than it needs to be.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 PM

207 posts, read 661,076 times
They allow this if you have a "pending" rental agreement or contract on a house.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:48 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,129,583 times
Principals can allow anything they choose. It's called ''site based management". They have pretty much total control over their fiefdom. But the rules are good for them, when they want support for going against something someone wants. Many principals are very nice, and will do their best to accommodate a parent if their school isn't horribly over crowded, even under those conditions, some principals will still accommodate pupil placement requests. The parent has to provide transportation.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks, Denton. As in the past, you've given me sound advice.

Having a contract on the house will be impossible as we can't make a purchase offer until we've sold our house here in NY.

Rental agreement? That's my problem: there are NO apartments in Lake Braddock SS boundary lines. I can get an apt. - Just not within the boundary.

Before we take this leap we need to see if we can get to the school we will eventually be in.

Thanks again and I think I might just schedule an appt. with the Principal when we are down next and see what my referral to the person in charge at the school brings me.

I appreciate all your input.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoboat View Post
Thanks, Denton. As in the past, you've given me sound advice.

Having a contract on the house will be impossible as we can't make a purchase offer until we've sold our house here in NY.

Rental agreement? That's my problem: there are NO apartments in Lake Braddock SS boundary lines. I can get an apt. - Just not within the boundary.

Before we take this leap we need to see if we can get to the school we will eventually be in.

Thanks again and I think I might just schedule an appt. with the Principal when we are down next and see what my referral to the person in charge at the school brings me.

I appreciate all your input.
Can't you make a purchase offer contingent on the sale of your NY house?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM

springfieldva: we were told by our agent this isn't done in Va...is this not true? Do you see it often? if that's the case, then we'll be doing it.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoboat View Post
springfieldva: we were told by our agent this isn't done in Va...is this not true? Do you see it often? if that's the case, then we'll be doing it.
Your agent would know better than I would (I've only bought one home - total). Sorry - wish I could help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia