Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 PM

715 posts, read 2,078,534 times

Advertisements

O-v-e-r-r-a-t-e-d.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 PM

428 posts, read 1,109,199 times
You should check out Endless Caverns sometime. (Full Disclosure: I was a tour guide there when I was in college. )

Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 AM

380 posts, read 1,153,758 times
over rated...
It's a hole in the ground, what would you expect?
At least they have an elevator, a car museum and a maze.

We've been through most in the region. We typically do off season and off days. Last year at endless caverns our tour consisted of my family of 4 and one other person.
Check out Crystal Caverns in Strasburg, if they are still open. Cheap flashlights, mud, & tight spaces. It's cool.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,824,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
You should check out Endless Caverns sometime. (Full Disclosure: I was a tour guide there when I was in college. )
Now that's my idea of a fun college job. Any interesting stories? Ever see any weddings in the caverns? I always thought it would be fun to go to one of those cave weddings.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 AM

428 posts, read 1,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Now that's my idea of a fun college job. Any interesting stories? Ever see any weddings in the caverns? I always thought it would be fun to go to one of those cave weddings.
So many interesting stories!
  • Some foreign tourists would try to break off pieces of the rock formations as souvenirs (this is a prosecutable offense in Virginia), then pretend they couldn't understand English when reprimanded by the tour guide. Pretty sure they understood basics like "No!".
  • This wasn't one of my tours, but a colleague once came back up from the cave after a tour and reported that one of his foreign tourists had tried to steal a sleeping bat from the ceiling.
  • We did Halloween tours each year, for which the tour guides were in costume. I went as a vampire, and I applied ultra-long fake fingernails that I painted with several coats of glittery white polish. On my very first tour of that Halloween season, I had a reason to use my lighter, and I accidentally caught my thumbnail on fire. I was able to blow it out quickly and no harm was done, *and* my tour group loved it! They thought I'd done it on purpose. So I intentionally caught a nail on fire for each subsequent tour that Halloween season.
  • The tour guides often received tips at the end of tours, and after one tour, a couple handed me their baby and told me the tour really had been that good. They were sweet. So was the baby. (Which, of course, they took back.)

It was a great job -- one of the most fun I've ever had. I intentionally tried to take the most entertaining jobs possible while I was in school. I figured it was my best opportunity to get some really interesting experiences before "real" worklife set in, and it panned out pretty well.

I should add that the vast majority of our visitors weren't jerks, and there were certainly just as many domestic "problem guests" as there were foreign "problem guests". For some reason, though, it was only the foreign visitors who tried to steal things. Weird.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 AM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
We went last year to Luray Caverns. We had a lot of fun. I think if you bring your Giant card then it is buy-one-get-one free. And they didn't charge for our two youngest children. So we essentially paid for one adult and one child. We enjoyed the car museum, also. And the general area was very pretty to drive through. All in all, it was a nice day. I didn't think it was overrated.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,247,424 times
For $18 yeah... It's overrated.... Nice, but not for that price...

Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,655,179 times
When I told two friends separately that I was going, they each said, "You go there twice in your life ... once when your parents take you, and once when you take your children." That about summed it up! (Except since we didn't live here, my parents never took me.) I thought since it's promoted as a big tourist attraction, there would be some inexpensive fast food places nearby, but there weren't. Or at least they weren't readily visible. So we ended up paying too much at the on-site "restaurant."

That does sound like a more fun summer job than most, though!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,286,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I totally wanted to get married in the Stalagpipe Organ room at Luray Caverns but my husband shot me down.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 PM

262 posts, read 579,449 times
I just took the grandchildren there this week and was in awe of it all. I like the new self tours with the recorder and headsets. $21 for an adult is steep, but with your Giant bonus card, you can get the second adult admission half price. The kids were $10.

Just think of how it was found and explored many years ago without the lighting and paved walkways. And how many years it took for all the formations to be formed. The grandkids were also fascinated and it usually takes a new video game to fascinate them!

I don't think its overrated. Not something you would do every weekend, but at least go once in your lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia