Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 17,301 times

Advertisements

I've been searching around on the San Diego thread but with discussions of gang crime out in SD- I can't really grasp what the differences must be like. Anybody living in the DC metro area/Arlington who has lived in San Diego who can tell me what it's like to live there? I've heard the weather if great. But here we have so many people in their 20s to 40s, G-Town, so much to do, the trails, not even to mention all the museums - I wanted to get a San Diegan view of whether it's really better to live there than here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
Non-San Diegan says: If you like the color brown more than the color green. If you like Spanish more than Victorian and Colonial. If you like sand more than grass, tile roofs more than shingles, would rather be close to Tiajuana than close to Annapolis, and think life would be perfect if only NFL games started at ten in the morning...go for it!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:23 PM

182 posts, read 540,642 times
I only lived in San Diego for a few months last summer but man I'd move back there from Northern Va in a heartbeat...

There's lots of differences and similarities between the two areas, but in a nutshell, I'd say:

DC = more yuppie, white collar, transit-oriented, hustle bustle, great job market. Pricey but not as pricey as San Diego. Lots of young people, but again they're all college educated, probably have their masters, and are really focused on their careers and whatever alphabet agency they work for.

SD = much more laid back, not nearly as white collar, large military presence. Perfect weather, great beaches, good nightlife - has a "state college" type of nightlife. Lots of young people either work in retail or are in the military. Not as hot an economy as DC's, but good for biomedical engineers and the like.

Of course one could write a whole book comparing the two cities, but here is a start. Both are great cities for young people, but it's still east coast vs. west coast. Good lucking choosing.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,377 times
Default San Diego

I lived in San Diego for 8 years (1992-2000) and cloby in Orange County from 2000-2006. Been living in Fairfax County VA since then.

I would love to go back to living in San Diego. For me, there is no comparison. Gang crime? Dont kid yourself. It is everywhere. I never felt concerned about walking the streets in San DIego... and probably less now than even when I lived there.

See link:

http://www.house.gov/forbes/documents/gangtravel.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdd View Post
I've been searching around on the San Diego thread but with discussions of gang crime out in SD- I can't really grasp what the differences must be like. Anybody living in the DC metro area/Arlington who has lived in San Diego who can tell me what it's like to live there? I've heard the weather if great. But here we have so many people in their 20s to 40s, G-Town, so much to do, the trails, not even to mention all the museums - I wanted to get a San Diegan view of whether it's really better to live there than here.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Arlington, VA vs San Diego

Well - I'm a newly single gal around 40 and wonder if you folks think SD is really an either/or young people or families and perhaps I'd be out of luck on meeting people my own age? Or am I not realizing that the population size is pretty decent. It's pretty dense here in NoVa/DC.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,377 times
Default Pop density

Quote:
Well - I'm a newly single gal around 40 and wonder if you folks think SD is really an either/or young people or families and perhaps I'd be out of luck on meeting people my own age? Or am I not realizing that the population size is pretty decent. It's pretty dense here in NoVa/DC.
San Diego is the 7th largest city in the US. Recently eclipsed by Phoenix for the #6 spot. There are over 1 million people in the city, nevermind the whold county. I think you'll do much better as a single in San Diego than in NoVA.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:21 AM

Where'd you get that stat? I only ask cuz I'd like to see the rest of the list.

D

Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 AM

261 posts, read 1,666,819 times
Quote:
Where'd you get that stat? I only ask cuz I'd like to see the rest of the list.
Looks like he got it from the City-Data top 100 list: http://www.city-data.com/top1.html

Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,005 times
I haven't lived in Va, but plan on moving there to somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley. I currently live in San Diego. In my opinion if you like city life that is relatively stress-free, San Diego is great. There are gang areas here, but they are easiy avoided.

One thing about this place: "sun tax". Generally employers tend to offer lower wages as the area is desireable and they feel that they have a captive audience.Disclaimer: I got this info from friends that work here, I am newly retired military and haven't worked here.

I want to mov to VA because I passed through on a motorcycle road trip and fell in love with the place. I plan to open a modest coffee shop in Staunton, Luray, Strasburg or somewhere else in that area. So if you have any suggestions for me it would be appreciated.

Final word on San Diego, get used to being referred to as "dude!" and get a surfboard! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia