Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 PM

42 posts, read 136,404 times

Advertisements

HI-- I have been a lurker here for a few months while my DH has been interviewing. Well.. turns out he got the job and we are going to relocate to the DC area as soon as we sell our Cleveland, Ohio home.

We are looking for a SFH for around $550k. I am a stay at home mom and we are planning to use public schools. (we would love to find a 4 bdr. with a finished basement--which we know puts us out pretty far in our price range.)

My DH's new job is North of the Foggy Bottom Metro Station near Georgetown. He will receive money to use the Metro. He could also pay $8 a day to park near his office if need be.

We have been looking in several areas including the Fairfax/Woodson HS are, Franklin Farms near Oak Hill and then the Cascades/Countryside areas 20165 of Loudon County.

Could anyone help us decide where to go? We know his commute will be long. He will not have standard 9-5 office hours, so the buses and VRE trains don't really work for him. He is more than happy to drive to a Metro and ride from whereever.. and he plans on going to work early in the AM.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
I think Fairfax, Franklin Farm, and Potomac Falls (Sterling) are all great areas. We live in Ashburn and we paid $525K in 2008 for our single family, 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, finished basement home. Real estate has gone down since then (although seems to be picking back up) so you should be fine with that price and want list especially in the Countryside/Potomac Falls area. Our home is worth about $460 right now, so that should give you some idea.
I know the schools in Fairfax and Loudoun are great so really depends on what you want. Fairfax and Franklin Farms seem busier to me than say Sterling. Where we are (Ashburn) is very stay-at-home-mom oriented. I would say Sterling is a lot like that too. Fairfax has that too but I think has a lot more working moms as well.
Good luck! It's an exciting time!

Old 08-05-2009, 03:19 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Reston is a little closer to DC than the areas you mentioned - so the commute will be a little more manageable. Here are a few options currently on the market in Reston in your price range.

View Property Details- 2645 FOX MILL RD, Reston, VA 20191
View Property Details- 2120 THOMAS VIEW RD, Reston, VA 20191
View Property Details- 11618 FOXCLOVE RD, Reston, VA 20191
View Property Details- 10717 OLDFIELD DR, Reston, VA 20191
View Property Details- 1803 POST OAK TRL, Reston, VA 20191
View Property Details- 11019 RING RD, Reston, VA 20190
View Property Details- 2104 SALT KETTLE WAY, Reston, VA 20191

Here is a link that will give you more information about Reston.
Welcome to Reston Association!

Here is a link for the property records in Fairfax county. Will give current assessment and previous sale prices.
Fairfax County

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
I would recommend Fairfax/Woodson high school or OakHill/Oakton high school. Sterling and Ashburn would be much longer commutes. Reston has some nice areas but the high school is not good. Some of the elementary schools in Reston are also not good. You might also find a house in Vienna/Madison high school which would also be a better commute.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
You might also look in Falls Church (county) near Shreve Road, as there is a neighborhood with some houses around $500-600K. Schools are also very good - Shrevewood/Kilmer/Marshall - and the area is close to the West Falls Church metro station (which is a bit closer to DC than the Vienna station, the last stop on the Orange line).

The other neighborhoods you are looking at are very nice as well, but would be a longer commute. A lot depends on the age of the house you're seeking. In general, the SFHs in the Falls Church/Vienna/Fairfax areas in your price range are going to be older than the properties in the Franklin Farm or Loudoun (Cascades) neighborhoods.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:31 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
I would stay within Fairfax County to avoid an excessively long commute.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 PM

274 posts, read 708,871 times
I'm a Franklin Farmer from Ohio too and we like this area. While Franklin Farm (Chantilly Highlands, etc.) is a good community, Ashburn has newer homes with a longer commute. There are affordable homes in each community with pros and cons for each. That said, we stayed close to the toll road for traveling into the Tyson's area, hubby has a flexible commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferma View Post
HI-- I have been a lurker here for a few months while my DH has been interviewing. Well.. turns out he got the job and we are going to relocate to the DC area as soon as we sell our Cleveland, Ohio home.

We are looking for a SFH for around $550k. I am a stay at home mom and we are planning to use public schools. (we would love to find a 4 bdr. with a finished basement--which we know puts us out pretty far in our price range.)

My DH's new job is North of the Foggy Bottom Metro Station near Georgetown. He will receive money to use the Metro. He could also pay $8 a day to park near his office if need be.

We have been looking in several areas including the Fairfax/Woodson HS are, Franklin Farms near Oak Hill and then the Cascades/Countryside areas 20165 of Loudon County.

Could anyone help us decide where to go? We know his commute will be long. He will not have standard 9-5 office hours, so the buses and VRE trains don't really work for him. He is more than happy to drive to a Metro and ride from whereever.. and he plans on going to work early in the AM.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Jen

Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 PM

42 posts, read 136,404 times
Jlyles-- could you please tell me what the commute times would be from Franklin Farms/and or the Asburn/Sterling/Cascade areas?

My DH will be working in DC -- near Foggy Bottom Metro and Georgetown.

thank you for your help!
jen

Old 08-07-2009, 05:10 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
Quote:
Jlyles-- could you please tell me what the commute times would be from Franklin Farms/and or the Asburn/Sterling/Cascade areas?

My DH will be working in DC -- near Foggy Bottom Metro and Georgetown.

thank you for your help!
jen
Commute times vary drastically by what time you go and how you travel. For example I traveled from Reston to Thomas Circle in DC for five years aiming to arrive at the office at 8:30 am. Reston is closer than any of the places you listed. I would estimate to add 10 minutes for Franklin Farm, 20 minutes for Asburn, and 15 minutes for Sterling/Cascade to my drive times.

Alone in a car via Toll Road & GW Parkway: 1:10 to 1:30 (without any significant traffic accidents)
With rider in car using HOV on Toll Road and I-66: 45-50 minutes
Fairfax Commuter Bus to METRO: 1:20 to 1:30

Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,283 times
Quote:
HI-- (we would love to find a 4 bdr. with a finished basement--which we know puts us out pretty far in our price range.)
This just isnt true anymore. You'd be surprised what you can find in Fairfax for 550K.

I wouldnt rule out the nice neighborhoods. Just go to www.franklymls.com and put in your price range and each of the nice towns in NOVA.

Some neighborhoods where you might find something.

Canterbury Woods, Willow Woods, Red Fox Forest, Truro,
Mantua

Granted a lot of the homes in some of these are more than 550K but I have seen homes in your range pop up. Grab one if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia