Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
With regard to "space for additional students" for underenrolled schools, KG clearly does not fall into that category. Kids are getting shoehorned into that school, and it would probably be a benefit if the French Immersion program went away.

KG has roughly an average of 15 students/teacher, while Sherman and Chesterbrook which are non GT schools, they have roughly a 11-12 ratio. Westgate which hugs McLean's border also has 11 kids/teacher.

If KG was underenrolled, I'd expect to see a ratio of 11-12 with the French Immersion program. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph.
Yes, the neighborhood that surrounds Kent Gardens has turned over in the last 15-20 years since they began the French Immersion program. Like all aging neighborhoods, they experienced a decrease in elementary population when the first generation (or was it the second generation) of children aged out. The school system thought an immersion program might help to boost the population. Later, as the older folks moved out, they were replaced by younger families and the school population grew. The same thing happens in every neighborhood as it ages. Now the school is over crowded, as it once was, in a previous generation. This happens in almost every neighborhood. School age populations change.

Of course they didn't put a magnet language immersion program in a school that was overcrowded, as it is now. They put the program in a school that was losing population. Rather than take the short sided approach of closing the school, as they did in so many areas of the county, they tried to attract more out of boundary students to fill up the school. Doesn't this seem like an obvious solution?

Of course there are no poor schools in McLean, but some draw from higher income areas than others. duh. Even McLean has newer, higher, income areas, and older, less affluent, areas. Kent Gardens is in one of the lower income area FOR McLean, not to be confused with lower income areas in the rest of the county. It's all relative.

I am glad that you are happy in Kent Gardens and that you like the school. You are welcome to your opinion. You are not welcome to your ''facts''.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Yes, the neighborhood that surrounds Kent Gardens has turned over in the last 15-20 years since they began the French Immersion program. Like all aging neighborhoods, they experienced a decrease in elementary population when the first generation (or was it the second generation) of children aged out. The school system thought an immersion program might help to boost the population. Later, as the older folks moved out, they were replaced by younger families and the school population grew. The same thing happens in every neighborhood as it ages. Now the school is over crowded, as it once was, in a previous generation. This happens in almost every neighborhood. School age populations change.

Of course they didn't put a magnet language immersion program in a school that was overcrowded, as it is now. They put the program in a school that was losing population. Rather than take the short sided approach of closing the school, as they did in so many areas of the county, they tried to attract more out of boundary students to fill up the school. Doesn't this seem like an obvious solution?

Of course there are no poor schools in McLean, but some draw from higher income areas than others. duh. Even McLean has newer, higher, income areas, and older, less affluent, areas. Kent Gardens is in one of the lower income area FOR McLean, not to be confused with lower income areas in the rest of the county. It's all relative.

I am glad that you are happy in Kent Gardens and that you like the school. You are welcome to your opinion. You are not welcome to your ''facts''.
It's clear to everyone that if KG was ever a low scoring school, those days are long, long gone no matter how you present your "facts."

Even with Chesterbrook (Kirby Road) and Spring Hill (Spring Hill Road), both those areas used to be "lower income." Many homes that feed into Churchill Road, Chesterbrook, Spring Hill, and Franklin Sherman, nevermind just KG, are modest and older.

Given that, there are many pockets of communities that have expensive homes that feed into all the above mentioned schools. For example, the $2 mil homes on Evans Farm Dr. feed into KG. Ballantrae feeds into Franklin Sherman, etc.

Last edited by live_strong28; 08-10-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Yes, yes, there, there, it's all ok.

I am sure that you know many rich people and some of them send their kids to Kent Gardens. But that's hardly the point, is it? We were responding to the OP's question about why Fairfax county has some immersion schools and Loudoun does not. Asked and answered. Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes, there, there, it's all ok.

I am sure that you know many rich people and some of them send their kids to Kent Gardens. But that's hardly the point, is it? We were responding to the OP's question about why Fairfax county has some immersion schools and Loudoun does not. Asked and answered. Your mileage may vary.
Yes...so until you're able to justify your point with real facts that KG was a low scoring, low income school, then your facts will remain only your facts, while my facts will continue to be taken from real, current, and verifiable data.

That point unfortunately, may or may not get through to you....even with schools like wealthy and high scoring Great Falls ES getting a language immersion program despite your theories.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM

Yes, yes, Kent Gardens is doing fine now. Apparently their plan worked.

Happy now?

Obviously Kent Gardens is very near and dear to you. As I said before, I'm glad that you are happy there.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes, Kent Gardens is doing fine now. Apparently their plan worked.

Happy now?

Obviously Kent Gardens is very near and dear to you. As I said before, I'm glad that you are happy there.
Unfortunately, that's just pure conjecture on your part about KG being "near and dear to me," just like it was pure conjecture on your part when you made unfounded statements about KG and why schools get immersion programs. I just presented facts that easily refuted your theories.

To humor you, since we all need some humor, what is FCPS's master plan for Great Falls ES's to transform them from a low scoring, and low income school? As I said before, caveats to already baseless arguments don't make a stronger argument.

Why bother wasting funds at rich and well performing schools such as Wolftrap where the parents supposedly don't value kids learning to count to 10 in Chinese or wasting time eating fortune cookies and sweet and sour pork when the money can be pooled for poor and low scoring schools elsewhere?

I rest my case.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Unfortunately, that's just pure conjecture on your part about KG being "near and dear to me," just like it was pure conjecture on your part when you made unfounded statements about KG and why schools get immersion programs. I just presented facts that easily refuted your theories.

To humor you, since we all need some humor, what is FCPS's master plan for Great Falls ES's to transform them from a low scoring, and low income school? As I said before, caveats to already baseless arguments don't make a stronger argument.

Why bother wasting funds at rich and well performing schools such as Wolftrap where the parents supposedly don't value kids learning to count to 10 in Chinese or wasting time eating fortune cookies and sweet and sour pork when the money can be pooled for poor and low scoring schools elsewhere?

I rest my case.
In praise of language programs, whether located in Loudoun or Faifax and for whatever reasons, I offer the following:

"Dude, vous etiez sans aucune doute le mec le plus granulaire du forum City-Data hier soir! Felicitations! Vive toujours l'ecole Kent Gardens libre et riche!" [Dude, you were, without a doubt, the most granular guy on the City-Data forum last night. Congratulations! Long live free and rich Kent Gardens Elementary!]

Last edited by JD984; 08-11-2009 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
The immersion programs were not implemented solely to help out lower income, lower performing schools. Orange Hunt ES has the German immersion program and it has never been even close to low income (single digit free/reduced lunch %) or low performing.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
In praise of language programs, whether located in Loudoun or Faifax and for whatever reasons, I offer the following:

"Dude, vous etiez sans aucune doute le mec le plus granulaire du forum City-Data hier soir! Felicitations! Vive toujours l'ecole Kent Gardens libre et riche!" [Dude, you were, without a doubt, the most granular guy on the City-Data forum last night. Congratulations! Long live free and rich Kent Gardens Elementary!]
Word....no doubt playa.

Granularity rules.

Long live all free and rich ES's in McLean.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The immersion programs were not implemented solely to help out lower income, lower performing schools. Orange Hunt ES has the German immersion program and it has never been even close to low income (single digit free/reduced lunch %) or low performing.
Another great example to squash baseless theories.

Add that under the list of caveats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia