U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Europe
224 posts, read 622,435 times
Reputation: 54
Default Big giant bee like flying bugs, what are they?

Hi again all,

Can anyone tell me what on earth are the big giant bee like bugs I have flying around my back yard? That's the best way that I can describe them, they really do look like giant bees to me. About 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. I've never seen anything like them before. Are they wasps? They appear to be making big nests or something in the ground, like big ant mounds. I won't let my toddler out in the yard because of them, not sure if they bite etc. What a steep learning curve it's been since moving here, poison ivy, ticks etc. Now some giant flying bug that's creeping me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Censorshipville...
2,439 posts, read 3,676,297 times
Reputation: 1196
Could have been "cicada killers": Cicada Killer Wasps | University of Kentucky Entomology

We had some at work a few weeks ago. They decided that the bush near the front entrance was a good place to hang out. They'd buzz around but nobody got stung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
14 posts, read 81,536 times
Reputation: 21
Could they be carpenter bees? They can be almost as big as your thumb, are very common around here and pretty much harmless to people. The males actually lack stingers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
 
Location: DC
3,212 posts, read 7,532,349 times
Reputation: 1126
I'll second that they're either cicada wasps or carpenter bees. Regardless, I find them all scary as hell. The wasps can sting, but I've been told that they're not particularly aggressive like yellowjackets, so just leave them alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, VA
722 posts, read 1,212,480 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Family View Post
What a steep learning curve it's been since moving here, poison ivy, ticks etc. Now some giant flying bug that's creeping me out.
I'm finding that the bugs are BRUTAL this year. Even harmless ones like gnats are still annoying - never mind the mosquitoes and other things that bite. I can hardly stand to be in the backyard or at the park with my son, because I'm always instantly surrounded by a swarm of bugs. Icccccck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Europe
224 posts, read 622,435 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Could have been "cicada killers": Cicada Killer Wasps | University of Kentucky Entomology

We had some at work a few weeks ago. They decided that the bush near the front entrance was a good place to hang out. They'd buzz around but nobody got stung.

Yes looks like that's what they are, the burrows that they are leaving all over my yard look exactly the same as the ones on the link above. There are so many in our small yard that it's actually hard to avoid annoying them. Have to get rid of them some how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Europe
224 posts, read 622,435 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
I'm finding that the bugs are BRUTAL this year. Even harmless ones like gnats are still annoying - never mind the mosquitoes and other things that bite. I can hardly stand to be in the backyard or at the park with my son, because I'm always instantly surrounded by a swarm of bugs. Icccccck.
I totally agree with you, the amount of bugs around here is crazy. I just can't get over the amount of mosquitoes! I've never lived in an area where you can't even step one foot out the door without being bitten all over. My poor toddler just can't understand why she can't head outside to play. They seem to absolutley eat her alive and then she ends up with an allergic reaction to the bite. Oh & the repelent stuff doesn't do a thing for us. Maybe they're just enjoying the different flavor of our Aussie blood!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: DC
3,212 posts, read 7,532,349 times
Reputation: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Family View Post
Yes looks like that's what they are, the burrows that they are leaving all over my yard look exactly the same as the ones on the link above. There are so many in our small yard that it's actually hard to avoid annoying them. Have to get rid of them some how.
Terminix time?

I also found:
Cicada Killer Control
CICCADA KILLER CONTROL, Ciccada Killer Control, ciccada killer control, CICCADDA KILLER CONTROL, Ciccadda killer control, CICCADDA KILLER CONTROL, cicada killer control, Cicada Killer Control, CICADA KILLER CONTROL, cikada killer control, Cikada Kill
Eastern Cicada Killers - How do I get rid of them? - Yahoo! Answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 AM
 
696 posts, read 995,901 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Family View Post
Hi again all,

Can anyone tell me what on earth are the big giant bee like bugs I have flying around my back yard? That's the best way that I can describe them, they really do look like giant bees to me. About 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. I've never seen anything like them before. Are they wasps? They appear to be making big nests or something in the ground, like big ant mounds. I won't let my toddler out in the yard because of them, not sure if they bite etc. What a steep learning curve it's been since moving here, poison ivy, ticks etc. Now some giant flying bug that's creeping me out.
I'm so glad that you posted this! We are in a temporary housing situation (townhouse/apartment complex). I too was wondering what these are and didn't want to post my ignorance! Lately it hasn't been too friendly on this forum.....so I chickened out. Thanks to all of you for being so friendly on this topic! My beagles and I will be staying clear of these bugs on our walks. There is one area in particular in our complex that has swarms of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 2,167,519 times
Reputation: 711
Ah, humidity, bugs, and gloomy/overcast falls/autumns. Just a few things about NoVA that aren't at all new to me, having lived the last ten years of my life (-2 in Chicagoland) in the humid, buggy, overcast (in the transitional seasons of fall and spring, anyway) state of Missouri. I can only imagine what people who come here from other climates are going through, though. For me it actually makes life a bit easier - I feel like I'm home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top