U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM

1,195 posts, read 2,516,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbg View Post
Enough with the scare tactics.

There are easy ways around that. Just set a requirement that the store must have over 10,000 sq ft of retail space. I doubt Costco and Giant carrying vodka will affect property values.
Like I said before, watch all the NIMBY's come out the woodwork when the old 10,000 square foot church or the abadonded Kmart that gave your community "character" is turned into Ahmad's house of booze, equipped with winos bumming change, underaged drinking, single sells, blunts, and check cashing.

Time will tell whether this is a good move or not, but are you not willing to sacrifice a couple bucks for a pint of Captain Morgans to prevent a bunch of nonsense? I live in Prince George's County, and one thing I really wish could be changed is the amount of liquor stores, EVERYWHERE! You have owners (who don't live in the county BTW) serving customers already drunk and agitaded (sp), bootlegging on sundays, folks hanging around "just because" and other issues, all tied directly with the liquor stores and the owners who could give less than a s-h!t.

At least with the ABC stores, you have strict government regulation, as well as real federal inspections, guidelines, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM

52 posts, read 198,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Like I said before, watch all the NIMBY's come out the woodwork when the old 10,000 square foot church or the abadonded Kmart that gave your community "character" is turned into Ahmad's house of booze, equipped with winos bumming change, underaged drinking, single sells, blunts, and check cashing.

Time will tell whether this is a good move or not, but are you not willing to sacrifice a couple bucks for a pint of Captain Morgans to prevent a bunch of nonsense? I live in Prince George's County, and one thing I really wish could be changed is the amount of liquor stores, EVERYWHERE! You have owners (who don't live in the county BTW) serving customers already drunk and agitaded (sp), bootlegging on sundays, folks hanging around "just because" and other issues, all tied directly with the liquor stores and the owners who could give less than a s-h!t.

At least with the ABC stores, you have strict government regulation, as well as real federal inspections, guidelines, etc.
Again, easy solution. Maximum 3% of your inventory can be alcohol. I know where you're going with this because someone, somehow will try to circumvent the rules. I agree liquor stores are not good for any community but heavy regulation like ABC is not the answer either.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM

660 posts, read 1,499,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbg View Post
Oh man, drinking alcohol takes planning here.
It takes a tiny amount of planning to buy spirits before 9 PM, yes. But it takes the same amount of planning to buy alcohol at a private store, and those are rarely open 24/7 either.

I also don't really see the problem with the state selling liquor. I mean, I think the drinking age should be lowered, but I still think alcohol is something that the government needs to regulate. And it's a lot easier for the government to regulate itself and abide by its regulations than it is for the private sector. ABC stores have no incentive to avoid checking IDs, for example, whereas the private sector does.

Now granted, I am used to this system, because I'm from VA and the state where I went to college had the same system. I guess if I had moved here from elsewhere I would feel differently. As it is, I find liquor stores in Maryland sketchy, even when they are in nice neighborhoods.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM

52 posts, read 198,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
It takes a tiny amount of planning to buy spirits before 9 PM, yes. But it takes the same amount of planning to buy alcohol at a private store, and those are rarely open 24/7 either.

You're right, coming from a different system does make you look this differently.

I agree with the drinking age thought because it will lessen the forbidden fruit effect. I'm from Europe so that experience shapes my views on this as well.

I come from a place where many supermarkets are open 24/7. They do suspend alcohol sales at 2am.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,065,115 times
I'm from GA where there are liquor stores. A lot of them are nice, clean and well run. There's nobody hanging out at them or anything like that. They can open until midnight but they have to close on Sundays. So moving here I was bummed by the 9pm closing times but buying liquor on Sunday makes up for it. So I guess it's all about perspective.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM

246 posts, read 1,213,033 times
I used to live in CT and its similar there. Beer is sold in supermarkets but not hard alcohol. You have to go to an actual "Liquor" store for that...kind of inefficient if you ask me and a monopoly. Also, in CT no alcohol of any kind is sold on Sun. and after 9 or 10 PM everyday. In my opinion, this is asking for trouble. People tend to overbuy alcohol (I did!) and feel obligated to finish all of it at a party. You get more intoxicated people having the opportunity to get their hands on the keys of a car. Better to allow longer hours to purchase alcohol so people buy in moderation and will go out to buy more if they run out. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,572,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
I used to live in CT and its similar there. Beer is sold in supermarkets but not hard alcohol. You have to go to an actual "Liquor" store for that...kind of inefficient if you ask me and a monopoly.

It is. I used to work with an economist doing a private study of the monopolization effect of state alcohol regulation and the consumer harm involved (if any). It was an interesting topic.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM

573 posts, read 2,282,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm from GA where there are liquor stores. A lot of them are nice, clean and well run. There's nobody hanging out at them or anything like that. They can open until midnight but they have to close on Sundays. So moving here I was bummed by the 9pm closing times but buying liquor on Sunday makes up for it. So I guess it's all about perspective.
Ah package stores. Depends on the county though for the time cut-off. Dekalb is 11:45, Fulton is later, don't know the exact time though. And I agree, many of those liquor stores are maintained quite nicely and are not sketch by any definition of the word.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,101,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I think that has more to do with those specific areas of PG County. There are a lot of nice areas of MD with liquor stores that don't have that element.

Here's the other thing: In MD, there's very few grocery stores selling beer and wine, so for any alcohol at all, you're probably going to have to make a liquor store run. This increases demand for liquor stores which is why you have one on every corner.

In VA, everyone goes to the grocery store for beer and wine, which automatically lessens the demand for liquor stores. Even if VA allows private liquor stores, there just wouldn't be a market for all the liquor stores MD has.

An even better way to solve the problem is to allow grocery stores to sell liquor. Then the only purely "liquor" stores that would exist are the gigantic superstores like Total Wine. Small liquor stores that attract an undesirable element wouldn't be able to survive, because they wouldn't be able to compete with the grocery stores on price.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,516,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
I used to live in CT and its similar there. Beer is sold in supermarkets but not hard alcohol. You have to go to an actual "Liquor" store for that...kind of inefficient if you ask me and a monopoly. Also, in CT no alcohol of any kind is sold on Sun. and after 9 or 10 PM everyday. In my opinion, this is asking for trouble. People tend to overbuy alcohol (I did!) and feel obligated to finish all of it at a party. You get more intoxicated people having the opportunity to get their hands on the keys of a car. Better to allow longer hours to purchase alcohol so people buy in moderation and will go out to buy more if they run out. Just my thoughts.
In Prince George's County, they recently raised last call to 12:00 Am, before it was 2:00 am (or later, depending on the store). The reality was liquor stores like Tic Toc in Langley Park, and others were doing serious harm to the community. The stores would close @ 2:00 (on the books at least, but we all know they stayed open later than that) and reopen @ 5:00 AM. So in essence you had guys drinking, hanging out, starting fights, etc all night, taking a breather for 3 hours and right back on it. Literally the same dudes would be out all night, and all day. The store also would fullfill all needs, barber shop, check cashing, lotto, bar, you name it they had it. That place had the worst repuation for stabbings, cuttings, fighting, prostituion, shootings, robberies, you name it for the longest time, not too mention the owners were making a killing at the expense of the community (the owners are the Eastern Motors guys if that gives you an idea of what type of people we are dealing with here).

That was a serious problem, and I for one am more than happy that they close @ 12:00 AM. I would love more Federal regulation in the state, if not but too keep everyone on their toes, and to force the sleazy owners to clean up their act. What business do you have out @ 2:00 buying booze anyway unless you are about to get into something you have no business doing? Get your stash early, and if you are not in bed before 12:00 Am, you need to go on home .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia