Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

LMFAO! That "Arlington Rap" video is HILLARIOUS! It is so true, and so very relevant to Reston as well! LOL! I love the end "at the Starbuck's, at the Starbucks, at the Starbuck's, at the Starbuck's" while showing the bazillion different locations all around town! "Someone's German car backfired!" Classic! I'm posting this on my Facebook so my friends can see what Reston is like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 PM

323 posts, read 508,810 times
With that kind of money, definitely check out the Ballston-Rossyln corridor. The one bedroom apartments in the modern high rises are in the $1700 - 2000 range, and get cheaper as the buildings go smaller or further from the Metro. A good reference to use is:

Arlington Apartments for Rent - Arlington Apartments Reviews and Ratings

I think you'll see a general trend in the ratings that apartments run by Charles E. Smith (sometimes called Archstone) receive generally poor ratings on management, and they like to jack the rates up on you after your first year.

I've been very pleased with the management of my apartment, which is run by Dittmar (http://www.dittmarcompany.com/communities/ - broken link). They have a lot of properties in Arlington and their high-rises are really nice. Check out Quincy Plaza - recently built, nice gym, lots of extra amenities (corian countertops, etc.), great location.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Just to counter guyincognito's point I happen to currently live in an Archstone community (one of the two in Reston), and I have been rather pleased here. I've already had three service-related issues since I moved to Virginia, and maintenance has always responded very hastily and has done an outstanding job, even though the online ratings for my community all point to a TERRIBLE maintenance history.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,575 times
I liked my time in one of the Archstone apartments in the Ballston area, too. I had no complaints at all and in fact the staff was really awesome. My son was 18 months old at the time and it wasn't what you would call a kid-friendly building (full young 20-somethings who all but blanched in horror at the sight of a toddler) but the staff always took the time to say hello to my son and made us feel really welcome, even though we knew we were out of place. We didn't stay long enough to know about rent increases.

That said, I have heard good things about Dittmar as well. They were building a brand new building right near Virginia Square when I moved out to the wilderness of Fairfax last year...The Amelia...if it's open by now it's probably really swank and in an awesome location.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Yeah, it's been pretty rough. My ex fiance and I broke up. I'm in the area about to start at a law firm. It's been a rough road, but I'm back on track and ready to start my life.

Oh and the $$ is great, but causes lots of problems in a relationship (not that you asked), but I'm happy now.

Someone recommended the Gramercy? Anyone heard of that?
Making lots of money causes problems in a relationship? Usually it's the other way, lack of money causes problems. Or did you mean the long hours required to make that much money cause problems in a relationship?

In any event, sorry you have to deal with a painful breakup.

Since it's likely you will working brutal hours, live as close to work as possible. You can afford an apartment close to your office.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
LMFAO! That "Arlington Rap" video is HILLARIOUS! It is so true, and so very relevant to Reston as well! LOL! I love the end "at the Starbuck's, at the Starbucks, at the Starbuck's, at the Starbuck's" while showing the bazillion different locations all around town! "Someone's German car backfired!" Classic! I'm posting this on my Facebook so my friends can see what Reston is like!
HUH? I thought that you loved Arlington but not Reston. You would love to move to Arlington and get out of Reston. Now say Arlington is just like Reston?

BTW, it isn't.

One of those Starbucks was in Pan Am Shopping center, near Vienna. It's nothing like Arlington either. But the video is hilarious!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
HUH? I thought that you loved Arlington but not Reston. You would love to move to Arlington and get out of Reston. Now say Arlington is just like Reston?

BTW, it isn't.

One of those Starbucks was in Pan Am Shopping center, near Vienna. It's nothing like Arlington either. But the video is hilarious!
I meant the male demographics are similar---metrosexual guys who wear brown flip-flops, drive German cars, patronize one of the community's bazillion Starbuck's, own dogs (and walk around with the poop baggies), show off when they work out, etc., etc. You really can't tell a 20-something male from Arlington or Reston apart.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I thought so! I watched it twice going, "I swear to God, that's the Pan Am Starbucks...not in Arlington...am I going crazy?"

Still so funny, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia