Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 14,631 times

Advertisements

I'd love some advice from all of you. I hope to, in the future, be an active member of this forum and give back for all the advice you've given me.

I'm single, 25 and a first time apartment hunter. My gross income is $165,000.

My questions:

1) How much should I be spending on an apartment? All I need is a one bedroom. I would like to be in a place that is safe, near a metro and has underground parking. I've seen one bedrooms for about 1700 in Arlington and such, but this seems way too expensive. Then again, I have no idea what I should be spending. I have no idea what I can afford. Like I said, I'm just starting out. This is pretty new to me.

2) What are some of the areas I should be looking at? Keep in mind, I'm pretty young and I'm single. I'd like to be in an area with single women around my age + good bars, movie theaters and people who like poker and basketball.

3) This is an optional question: Do you have any recommendations on specific apartment complexes or buildings that you or your friends live at and really enjoy?

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to do my research, but I think getting a sense of things from people actually in the area is probably essential right now.

Cheers,

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,195 times
Where are you working? You can afford to pick and choose with your income, unless you have a lot of debts. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions, many people in this area have read Ayn Rand.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:18 AM

246 posts, read 1,355,209 times
I would just like to have your job at 25 making $165K gross !!!....with that salary $1700/mo is nothing. I think the rule of thumb is not to spend greater than 36% of salary on housing (see link, item #3 6 Financial Rules of Thumb (http://ezinearticles.com/?6-Financial-Rules-of-Thumb&id=420467 - broken link))

Based on your gross, you probably can spend $2K+/month on a really nice place. Once again, where do you want to live and where do you work? The closer you are to the metro the higher the prices (i.e your $1700/mo place probably was walking distance to metro).

Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 AM

64 posts, read 232,920 times
I would stay close to the Arlington Metro stops: Ballston, Courthouse, Clarendon and even Rosslyn.

What do you do for a living?, if you don't mind me asking

Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm a lawyer.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Yeah, it's been pretty rough. My ex fiance and I broke up. I'm in the area about to start at a law firm. It's been a rough road, but I'm back on track and ready to start my life.

Oh and the $$ is great, but causes lots of problems in a relationship (not that you asked), but I'm happy now.

Someone recommended the Gramercy? Anyone heard of that?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM

No, but they look nice.

The Gramercy at Metropolitan Park Apartments For Rent in Arlington, Virginia - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 08-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks novadude,

Yeah, those look pretty nice. I just sent an email to the Gramercy. It has potential.

Zot: 35% huh? I guess I'm being a little conservative. Makes me feel a bit better.

Does the area around pentagon city have nice bars and single women and cool dudes or is it an older more family oriented? I want to make some friends near where I live so I won't be completely lame and just work all the time.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:45 PM

I don't know anyone who lives around pentagon city...

What you should do is get on the metro and then get off at one of the Arlington Metro stops after work on a Thurs or Friday. Then you can see the happy hour crowd. Arlington is always packed. Always see fit people exercising, business people, people goin out for drinks and having fun.

This has already been posted, but If you haven't seen it, you must watch. Arlington is known for everything he describes. He is spot on. Funny video.

YouTube - Arlington: The Rap

Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM

313 posts, read 551,800 times
Are you pretty set on Arlington? Otherwise, if you want to meet people, in Reston they have the Town Center and with your salary, you could choose just about anywhere in that place. I moved here about a month ago and am a 23 year old single guy...lots of single attractive females around here. Although, if you don't have a a car and if Metro closeness is highly desired then...yeah, stick closer to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia