Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times

Advertisements

OrangeFish,
Look at the charts that you sent me and you will see that Flint Hill numbers look awfully strange, unless they are doing away with their Local Level 4. In past years, many fewer students chose to attend the center, this year, 16 chose it. It's going to be rather difficult for Flint Hill to offer the local smart class with only 8 students. But only a handful of schools actually have enough students to fill a whole GT class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Interesting. I think I know you, from the GTAC, or whatever they're calling it now. I am surprised that Carol Horn would tell you about the closing of a Local Level 4 before the parents were told.
The principal told me.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
OrangeFish,
But only a handful of schools actually have enough students to fill a whole GT class.
There was much discussion during the School Board's retreat session on this very point. I'm not sure I would call it unanimous (plus all School Board members did not attend), but it was certainly a majority of School Board members stating that there needed to be a (re-)examination of how Local Level IV schools get implemented re: how many students are GT Center-eligible at the school.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 AM

I saw a former SB member this week. He said that Stu Gibson is working on the UBS issue and will be spending time in Switzerland. That's the reason for his frequent absences from SB meetings and it's likely to continue for the foreseeable future. It's a HUGE tax case and great for Stu's career. His absence from the SB can only help GT students.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
There was much discussion during the School Board's retreat session on this very point. I'm not sure I would call it unanimous (plus all School Board members did not attend), but it was certainly a majority of School Board members stating that there needed to be a (re-)examination of how Local Level IV schools get implemented re: how many students are GT Center-eligible at the school.
I have to wonder why they suddenly care now. Most of those schools have never had numbers that are even close to a full class of GT students. They're probably just making noises but won't do anything about it. typical.

Heard this week that Dale's contract will be renewed without a hitch. They delayed it for a month (August, when everyone's gone) to make it appear they want the public to have notice and time to fuss about it, but they want to continue with Dale. I think most of us already knew that, didn't we?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
The principal told me.
Oh, that makes more sense. Surely it's public by now since school starts in two weeks.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Oh. I forgot. The schools aren't in Vienna or McLean. At least your postings are consistent, Neen.

Both Canterbury Woods and Wakefield Forest are great elementary schools, as is Frost Middle School and Woodson High School.
Is this your pathetic attempt to ''out'' me? WAAAAAY too late, people here already know who I am and that's fine with me.

I think we've established that I know who you are. Would you like me to return the favor and post your name? Be happy to, dear. Just let me know.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
The principal told me.
How strange since in the past your principal was able to have a Local Level 4 with only 1 GT center eligible child. Why did she decide not to do so again this year? I must say it would be pretty silly to continue to have classes that are supposed to be equal to GT center classes when there is only 1 child qualifies to be in a GT center class.

What school did you choose for DD? I do hope it works out well for her, and for you. It's not easy to have very gifted children who have ADD, but half of boys at TJ seemed to be that way, so they do learn to cope with it. Having a GT child is both a blessing and a curse. But much more on the blessing side. They bring us far more joy than agony.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
I saw a former SB member this week. He said that Stu Gibson is working on the UBS issue and will be spending time in Switzerland. That's the reason for his frequent absences from SB meetings and it's likely to continue for the foreseeable future. It's a HUGE tax case and great for Stu's career. His absence from the SB can only help GT students.
Talk about the law of unintended consequences. Some guy who sold a business in Colorado or Florida cheats on his taxes and, miles away, kids still have the option of attending a GT center because it diverts the attention of a school board member.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I think we've established that I know who you are. Would you like me to return the favor and post your name? Be happy to, dear. Just let me know.
Feel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia