Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM

105 posts, read 389,187 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've been reading a lot of the posts here about the area and wanted to ask my own question. I'm a recent college grad who just got a job working at Ft. Belvoir.

Rather than paying the rent I've decided to look for a TH in the area ($250,000 is my limit). I found a nice one in the Roxbury of Mt. Vernon subdivision (for $215,000) and just want to know more about the area. It's close to the base ( about 4 miles) which makes my commute just plain awesome, but is biking a possibility? How safe would that be?

How safe is the area in general. The subdivision I'm in is located right off Route 1 (i've read some things about the RT 1 Corridor here that make me a bit nervous) and near Buckman Rd (heard other things about these areas) but also right next to a large church (how does that affect values?)

My main questions would be how safe is the area? it looked decent from what I saw with the newer shops closer to the base, and the neighborhood was in good condition besides 3-4 for sale signs.
What would the long term outlook be? Am I getting myself into a bad area where it's going to be hard to re sell the property? The school district doesn't look that stellar (I think it's MT vernon High) but I've read some good things online about their new principle).
What about renters? Are a lot of people moving because of BRAC looking for short commutes or the atmosphere of the neighborhood? Any idea how much I'd be able to rent a bedroom (with its own attached private bath) for?

My impression is that it's def. more urban then the Lorton or Springfield areas but with all the BRAC influx could it be an area on the up and up?

Thank you!

Also any disc golfers out there looking to play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 07:41 PM

8,967 posts, read 21,048,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeller View Post
Hi everyone, I've been reading a lot of the posts here about the area and wanted to ask my own question. I'm a recent college grad who just got a job working at Ft. Belvoir.

Rather than paying the rent I've decided to look for a TH in the area ($250,000 is my limit). I found a nice one in the Roxbury of Mt. Vernon subdivision (for $215,000) and just want to know more about the area. It's close to the base ( about 4 miles) which makes my commute just plain awesome, but is biking a possibility? How safe would that be?

How safe is the area in general. The subdivision I'm in is located right off Route 1 (i've read some things about the RT 1 Corridor here that make me a bit nervous) and near Buckman Rd (heard other things about these areas) but also right next to a large church (how does that affect values?)

My main questions would be how safe is the area? it looked decent from what I saw with the newer shops closer to the base, and the neighborhood was in good condition besides 3-4 for sale signs.
What would the long term outlook be? Am I getting myself into a bad area where it's going to be hard to re sell the property? The school district doesn't look that stellar (I think it's MT vernon High) but I've read some good things online about their new principle).
What about renters? Are a lot of people moving because of BRAC looking for short commutes or the atmosphere of the neighborhood? Any idea how much I'd be able to rent a bedroom (with its own attached private bath) for?

My impression is that it's def. more urban then the Lorton or Springfield areas but with all the BRAC influx could it be an area on the up and up?

Thank you!

Also any disc golfers out there looking to play?
Unfortunately there's probably a reason why the TH is available for $215K. Just a few miles west in Kingstowne or north around Huntington, you can find 1B condos going for more than that.

While the Route 1 corridor between Alexandria and Lorton has been revitalizing over the last several years, some sections have been more successful than others. Judging by the price point of the TH community you're considering, I'd guess that it's not perceived as one of the favorable ones.

That said... I've been saying for a while that the Route 1 area is due for a massive overhaul once the BRAC employees start arriving. Those people may first try to jump over to dwellings in Kingstowne but eventually that will become overheated. You could potentially be making a good long-term investment. Just be prepared for the possibility of dealing with an imperfect situation in the short term.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM

26,677 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Unfortunately there's probably a reason why the TH is available for $215K. Just a few miles west in Kingstowne or north around Huntington, you can find 1B condos going for more than that.

While the Route 1 corridor between Alexandria and Lorton has been revitalizing over the last several years, some sections have been more successful than others. Judging by the price point of the TH community you're considering, I'd guess that it's not perceived as one of the favorable ones.

That said... I've been saying for a while that the Route 1 area is due for a massive overhaul once the BRAC employees start arriving. Those people may first try to jump over to dwellings in Kingstowne but eventually that will become overheated. You could potentially be making a good long-term investment. Just be prepared for the possibility of dealing with an imperfect situation in the short term.
I tend to agree with Tone509 here.

Most of the negative comments about this area probably came from my postings. I work in the Rt. 1 area and i just dont think much of it. But i'll try to

Safety; you wont be hearing of shootings and murders, but I have had a few customers come in and tell me about petty robberies. More likely its mostly nusiance crimes.

Schools; since your home is in Fairfax County you can probably convince someone they are buying a home in the nations best school system albeit the worst part.

One thing i would DEFINTELY try to do is rent for a very short-term and see if its an area you can tolerate. Oh yeah, dont count on your commute being "awesome" this is Washington DC traffic and there seems to be a high number of accidents on the southbound side of Rt. 1 when i'm heading into work from the Northbound side. Also, be careful when driving because Rt.1 is VERY HEAVILY patrolled by the UNFAIRfax County Police.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 PM

Thank you for the input!
Any other advice about the area? I read the sticky about moving to NOVA

Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM

84 posts, read 286,722 times
Roxbury of Mt. Vernon as in Roxbury Dr? as in Roxbury DR off of Buckman Road? As Mpnty Python said "Run Away, Run Away"..

That section of Buckman Road is one of the worst neighborhoods in Fairfax County..

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Hey Beach, mind elaborating? Thats the right road, Roxbury DR. Do you live in the area? What makes it so bad?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM

84 posts, read 286,722 times
Go back up Janna Lee Ave & 7 Woods Dr and lookie see who is hanging out.. That area is one of the lowest income areas of Fairfax County. If you see a Police Officer in the area, ask what they think..

Check out the "hanging out" and foot traffic at the 7/11 on RT 1 at Ladson Ln.. People waiting at 0600 (when beer goes back on sale) to buy a "40" to finish the night.

Yes, there are more good, hard working people there.. but the area has a reputation..

But.. Rout 1 as a whole and that section specifically has gotten much better than it used to be. It will only get better as property values go up.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM

142 posts, read 565,174 times
I would say it's a mixed bag. The Roxbury Dr. neighborhood is the exact, shall I say, border as to where the nicer neighborhoods begin to the south, and the rougher neighborhoods exist to the north. It's definitely a convenient spot and Route 1 has and continues to improve dramatically, but it's a risky proposition as it's next to a HUGE low-income apartment neighborhood just across Buckman Road and then the Audobon trailer park up the street. If you can find something better, I would say pass.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks beach and adc! One of the main draws to this area for me was the price and it's condition. The TH was in really good condition for the price it was listed at. I drove around looking at numerous TH's in the Lorton, Springfield, Burke and Alexandria area and many of them were selling for more in worse condition.
I'm 24 years old and an engineer working an Ft. Belvoir. This isn't going to be the last place I own. I'm looking at is as a way to keep more of money in my financial circle (build equity instead of paying rent).

With prices so low right now does anyone think this is a property that I'd lose money on? Am I trying to convince myself that a bad situation is good?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM

59 posts, read 161,799 times
I lived in Huntington on Route 1 and used to go to a barber near the base. You definitely see drifters and vagrants in the area. I got asked for spare change several times. My old apartment had a few cars broken into. None of this kind of stuff makes the area unliveable; but it does lower property values.

Are you comfortable with this sort of environment? If you came straight out of college and lived in working class apartments like I did, then you might be fine with it in the short term. But not everyone is comfortable with living in a moderately safe urban blight. If you think marriage or kids are in the short term future, I'd give that consideration.

I agree with the other posters; if you settle in for the long haul (5+ years) I think you could reap some modest real estate gains due to BRAC. Otherwise, I'd give this area a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia