Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM

246 posts, read 1,354,678 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about having to take the written exam and getting a VA driver's license if you are coming from another State? I am coming from CA and will be getting a new VA license....will I have to take the written test.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 05:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
Does anyone know anything about having to take the written exam and getting a VA driver's license if you are coming from another State? I am coming from CA and will be getting a new VA license....will I have to take the written test.

Thanks

No, if your CA license is valid, you take a vision test only.

But you need to bring all kinds of stuff....check out:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 PM

There is this 30 day limit to get things changed over...however I won't get an electric bill for at least then. How can I make that deadline. Also, will they take a copy of my lease agreement as proof of VA residency??

Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
There is this 30 day limit to get things changed over...however I won't get an electric bill for at least then. How can I make that deadline. Also, will they take a copy of my lease agreement as proof of VA residency??

They won't ask you when you got here, so just do it as soon as you can.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:18 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
The copy of your lease should suffice.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 PM

I heard from some that the copies are no good and they were turned away! What gives with VA DMV!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 PM

25 posts, read 47,246 times
Quote:
I heard from some that the copies are no good and they were turned away! What gives with VA DMV!

An agent *could* give you a hard time (if they were so inclined) if you gave them a computer print-out of a recent utility bill. The verbiage on the DMV website says original (no copies), so technically, a print out from your computer is not an original from the utility company.

Save yourself the possibility that this could happen and bring an original copy--the one that the utility sends you if you don't opt for electronic only.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:

What gives with VA DMV?

They don't want to be snookered by the oldest trick in the book....altered (white-out, erasures, etc) documents with the alteration not evident on a photocopy.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What gives with VA DMV?

They don't want to be snookered by the oldest trick in the book....altered (white-out, erasures, etc) documents with the alteration not evident on a photocopy.
Thats not the point....the point is why request that changes need to be made in 30 days when they do not accept photocopies of lease, etc. Just make it 60 days.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Thats not the point....the point is why request that changes need to be made in 30 days when they do not accept photocopies of lease, etc. Just make it 60 days.

I rent several houses and I always provide my tenants with an original lease when they take possession. I thought everybody did that...

What did your landlord do? Give you a photocopy of the lease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia