U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,316,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I'm disappointed in the Trader Joe's here because their prepared food selections aren't as big as what I am used to.
I was at the Trader Joe's in Bailey's Crossroads last week, and the checker mentioned that the store would be expanding. Evidently the store will move their warehouse/stock room space (currently in the back of the store) over to the Office Depot space adjacent to them. He said that the store was going to be much bigger. I'm hoping they add to their frozen food aisle.

Quote:
Give me Wegmans any day. I actually enjoy shopping there. It's a happy place to be.
I agree! I really like their house brand of items.

We also like produce from farmers markets and have had good luck with quality produce and good prices at some of the Asian markets (like H-Mart).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM

696 posts, read 1,495,993 times
Quote:
IGive me Wegmans any day. I actually enjoy shopping there. It's a happy place to be.
ABSOLUTELY! We are heading there right after naptime. Oh happy day....my girls love it there!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM

131 posts, read 371,263 times
There are many Korean owned Asian/International grocery stores that offer good produce, good selection and good prices - H-Mart, Q-Mart, Lotte, Global Food, and several more.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,204,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Could you please cut the snarky comments? it becomes annoying. Makes it appear you are always looking to pick a fight. Which we all know couldn't possibly be true, and that you would never want to appear that way to others.

Thank you.
I wasn't the one who started to pick this particular fight, but thanks for once again absolving the one who did start with the snarky comments just to under-cut me instead.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,204,935 times
Quote:
I've been here nearly 3 years. I haven't even been to the Whole Foods. I may make a road trip to see what it is like. We had one in Albuquerque but it was on the other side of town and I wasn't fond of paying $5 for a bell pepper. I'm disappointed in the Trader Joe's here because their prepared food selections aren't as big as what I am used to. Give me Wegmans any day. I actually enjoy shopping there. It's a happy place to be. I just recently went to the new Lotte store in Chantilly (? that area confuses me) They have some really fresh produce.
Don't feel badly. I have a Whole Foods less than a mile from my home in Reston and still have never set foot in the place. I think I have the image of "Whole Paycheck" in my mind and instinctively think I'm relegated to dollar stores and sales at Giant.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Don't feel badly. I have a Whole Foods less than a mile from my home in Reston and still have never set foot in the place. I think I have the image of "Whole Paycheck" in my mind and instinctively think I'm relegated to dollar stores and sales at Giant.
You can probably supplement and/or treat yourself with a few things here and there. But I agree it would take a very financially comfortable or health-focused determined person to focus most of their food budget at Whole Foods.

BTW, Safeway might be a decent compromise as they have their own organic brand.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,776,153 times
Aajzjmsmom, welcome to VA. I am surprised that no one but ScranBarre has suggested anything to do except grocery shopping. B-o-r-i-n-g. Okay, the Courthouse area is as you said, catered towards single, young professionals. However, be sure to partake of the great restaurants and eateries in that area as well as Clarendon (very nice) even if it's just walking out for a cup fo coffee or desserts for the kids.

You are in an ideal location for (a) downtown DC, where the smithsonian is free and has things for children, as well as other museum, theatres, parks, and centers the kids will enjoy. And, of course, any festivals and events for families, and (b) Rte 66 west that will take you to outlying areas to explore and enjoy. Just check the weekend paper and web sites and have a great time exploring your new area.

Since there's already alot of discussion on supermarkets I won't comment (although, like many others have mentioned, Wegmans is a tough act to follow and any farmer's markets are fantastic for price, quality, and just meeting some nice people and supporting their work).

Anyway, best of luck to you and your family!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,139,589 times
Quote:
Found a Giant's today and was pleasantly suprised at both their prices and how uncrowded it was. Until I can get up the courage to drive to the nearest Wegmans this will be where I shop. I even got a Giant card to save money. I also have a Safeway card.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,726 times
Quote:
That is the smallest Whole Foods, barely a Whole Foods. I wouldn't bother either. Choices there are too limited.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Found a Giant's today and was pleasantly suprised at both their prices and how uncrowded it was. Until I can get up the courage to drive to the nearest Wegmans this will be where I shop. I even got a Giant card to save money. I also have a Safeway card.
I've found all of the stores to be pretty empty lately. I do love August in Washington, for that reason, everyone's gone. The weather, however, is Gawd-awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia