U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM

74 posts, read 247,747 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are hoping for a move to the DC area sometime soon. Working for the government, that can mean in 2 months or 8 months, all the same. Anyways, my wife is a teacher and has applied to various counties. She has received a good amount of interest but cannot commit to any school since I have not been told anything as of yet. If our move happens to come later in the school year, how common has it been for schools to have openings once classes have started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,118,809 times
That's hard to know. It depends on what she teaches, and who leaves. But these are HUGE counties, Fairfax and Loudoun, with many positions so she can probably pick up something, even if it isn't her first choice of subjects.

Good luck to you both.

BTW, my son had an interview at a Government agency. They said they would let him know in 4 to 6 weeks. We've passed the 6 week mark with nothing either way. Good thing he isn't that interested in the position. Another agency wants to hire him but can't until October 1st, when the new fiscal year begins.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,584,125 times
It may depend on her area of specialty. If she has special education endorsement there's more chance of openings. The other thing she could do is subsitute in various systems, or possibly get a long term sub position. Or, look at instructional assistant positions to get the foot in the door. Either way she would get known to some schools, and subs are always welcomed and needed. The good ones are called back and often, if they can be licensed, will get positions later. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 PM

247 posts, read 611,158 times
I agree that it would be good to get applications in and have everything ready to go, even if it's already into the school year. While positions may become available mid-year, I don't get the sense that it's very common. The best bet is likely to sub wherever possible. As posted above, good subs are always needed and is a good way to get a foot in the door. If a long term sub position becomes available, like for a maternity leave, generally the pay is higher too.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM

My wife has gotten her applications in, as we expected to know our move date by now. She has received various offers but as I stated before, she cannot commit. As far as her getting her certifications and such, that shouldnt be a problem as she has her national certification and a masters. What we are most concerned with now is that it is obvious we will not be up in that area by the time school starts. Is getting hired once the school year starts something that happens in this area or should we give up that hope. Obviously I know that I wont get a concrete answer but hopefully current teachers can chime in on whether or not they have seen it happen at their schools. The problem with substitute teaching is the pay is not the same and the work is not constant. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:57 PM

60 posts, read 161,451 times
There are many teachers county wide who go on maternity leave or retire. If you could find out if there will be vacant spots available in the middle of a school year due to these circumstances...is there such a thing as a "stand by" list?

Also, have you considered applying at private schools in the area? There are many, many top notch private schools in Northern Virginia. Just a thought!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM

We had not considered that but will look into Private schools in the area. Any suggestions for private schools in the arlington/alexandria area are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,584,125 times
Her national board certification will go a long way for her. I doubt if Arlington or Alexandria are growing that much but I do know in areas where there is growth it does happen that teachers are added as enrollment goes up. She just needs to keep her communication open with those who are interested in her. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 AM

On somewhat of a similar note, is anyone aware if private schools in NOVA offer a discount for student tuition if a parent is a teacher at the school?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
It may depend on her area of specialty. If she has special education endorsement there's more chance of openings. The other thing she could do is subsitute in various systems, or possibly get a long term sub position. Or, look at instructional assistant positions to get the foot in the door. Either way she would get known to some schools, and subs are always welcomed and needed. The good ones are called back and often, if they can be licensed, will get positions later. Good luck!
I - or rather my lady who teaches in Fairfax County - would agree with this statement. She says that for "critical need" areas like special ed as well as high school math and science, your chances may be fairly good. She says there's also a chance that openings may occur within the first few weeks of the school year as rosters are finalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia