U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
Reputation: 15748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I am not writing to brag. I am writing because my jaw drops when people say it's tough here on $80K. Define tough.
You're preaching to the same folks who told me I must be "slumming it" to support myself in a 1-bedroom apartment in the suburbs on a $41,000 salary. I don't feel impoverished in the least bit. Material expectations here are just a hell of a lot higher than they are in most other parts of the nation. Everyone here "has" to drive a newer car (more often than not an Audi or BMW), "has" to have an iPhone or Blackberry, "has" to dine out twice per week, "has" to shop at Whole Foods, "has" to pose at Reston Town Center at happy hour with a martini in hand after work, and "has" to pose at Starbuck's to buy that $4 grande latte before work, etc., etc. If people here knew the first thing about being thrifty and adhering to the basics instead of caving into consumerism then perhaps they'd see that yes, you CAN live semi-comfortably in NoVA on a $41,000 salary. Yes, you CAN support a family semi-comfortably on an $80,000 salary. No, you can't enjoy the perks that some of our "shiny object-loving" peers do, but I never understood why so many thought only buying what you NEED was "struggling?" I wonder how many in NoVA are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
 
413 posts, read 1,042,653 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You're preaching to the same folks who told me I must be "slumming it" to support myself in a 1-bedroom apartment in the suburbs on a $41,000 salary. I don't feel impoverished in the least bit. Material expectations here are just a hell of a lot higher than they are in most other parts of the nation. Everyone here "has" to drive a newer car (more often than not an Audi or BMW), "has" to have an iPhone or Blackberry, "has" to dine out twice per week, "has" to shop at Whole Foods, "has" to pose at Reston Town Center at happy hour with a martini in hand after work, and "has" to pose at Starbuck's to buy that $4 grande latte before work, etc., etc. If people here knew the first thing about being thrifty and adhering to the basics instead of caving into consumerism then perhaps they'd see that yes, you CAN live semi-comfortably in NoVA on a $41,000 salary. Yes, you CAN support a family semi-comfortably on an $80,000 salary. No, you can't enjoy the perks that some of our "shiny object-loving" peers do, but I never understood why so many thought only buying what you NEED was "struggling?" I wonder how many in NoVA are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt.
I'm glad to see that you've retracted your prior statement of COMFORTABLY to SEMI-COMFORTABLY. It makes a difference.

It's blatantly irresponsible to make a statement saying $40k is comfortable. Doable yes, but a far cry from comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
Reputation: 15748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
I'm glad to see that you've retracted your prior statement of COMFORTABLY to SEMI-COMFORTABLY. It makes a difference.

It's blatantly irresponsible to make a statement saying $40k is comfortable. Doable yes, but a far cry from comfortable.
I guess I just don't expect much out of life. I just had tortellini alfredo for dinner, and that was the best I've eaten all week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 7,348,256 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
That's why I said "generally speaking.



That's why I included "closer to DC and closer to jobs and better schools."



Look at the test scores. Then comment.



Yeah, and that's why the 200k people who don't ride VRE are stuck on I95 every morning and evening.

And how do the people who live out in Manassas and Gainesville (also PWC) like riding the VRE? They wouldn't know, b/c there is no VRE and they are stuck on I66.
Speak for yourself. Don't assume we don't like riding the VRE. I love riding the VRE because I can sleep on the train, do some work on my computer and the fellow riders are very professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: NoVA
230 posts, read 1,047,541 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I guess I just don't expect much out of life. I just had tortellini alfredo for dinner, and that was the best I've eaten all week!
That first sentence is the understatement of the century.

I think there is no perfect answer to the OP's original question here. It is all relative to your debt, savings, who else may be supporting you, inheritance, etc. Just become some people like to drive a nicer car, and treat themselves to Starbuck's coffee doesn't make them evil as Scranbarre would perceive. It sounds like he is jealous and I bet you as soon as he is making a little more money he will be in line to order a mocha-chocha-latte, boot up his laptop and hit on some college girls while he stares out the window at his new Audi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Speak for yourself. Don't assume we don't like riding the VRE. I love riding the VRE because I can sleep on the train, do some work on my computer and the fellow riders are very professional.
Stop creating imaginary arguments.

I didn't specifically say people who rode the VRE hated their commute.

I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
If you buy in PW County, and since you will be working in DC, for sure, you will be hating life during the commute.
YOU may enjoy the VRE.

Others may not, but it's safe to say that >51% of those commuting into DC from PW County (Yes, that includes Gainesville and Manassas where there does NOT exist a much ballyhooed VRE) hate the commute because there are more drivers than VRE riders.

Much more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM
 
427 posts, read 973,269 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Stop creating imaginary arguments.

I didn't specifically say people who rode the VRE hated their commute.

I said:



YOU may enjoy the VRE.

Others may not, but it's safe to say that >51% of those commuting into DC from PW County (Yes, that includes Gainesville and Manassas where there does NOT exist a much ballyhooed VRE) hate the commute because there are more drivers than VRE riders.
Um, just to clarify, both Manassas and Gainesville do have VRE service:

Manassas Park VRE Station

Manassas VRE Station

Broad Run VRE Station

Now, to be fair, the Broad Run station is actually more down in the Bristow proper area, but it serves Nokesville/Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket. It's an easy drive (as in 10 miles or less, I'd say -- mostly less) from most of the large subdivisions in that area.

Were you thinking of some other parts of western PWC that don't have VRE service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
Um, just to clarify, both Manassas and Gainesville do have VRE service:

Manassas Park VRE Station

Manassas VRE Station

Broad Run VRE Station

Now, to be fair, the Broad Run station is actually more down in the Bristow proper area, but it serves Nokesville/Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket. It's an easy drive (as in 10 miles or less, I'd say -- mostly less) from most of the large subdivisions in that area.

Were you thinking of some other parts of western PWC that don't have VRE service?
I stand corrected.

I do think that many more people commute via car vice VRE and those by car about 99.5% don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times
Reputation: 15748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
That first sentence is the understatement of the century.

I think there is no perfect answer to the OP's original question here. It is all relative to your debt, savings, who else may be supporting you, inheritance, etc. Just become some people like to drive a nicer car, and treat themselves to Starbuck's coffee doesn't make them evil as Scranbarre would perceive. It sounds like he is jealous and I bet you as soon as he is making a little more money he will be in line to order a mocha-chocha-latte, boot up his laptop and hit on some college girls while he stares out the window at his new Audi.
Nope. I'm not just merely jealous. I'm not the only new transplant to have been caught off-guard by the BRUTAL wave of rampant materialism and conspicuous consumption here in NoVA either. Thanks for speaking on my behalf though, especially since I don't drink coffee and would prefer a Prius over an Audi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Ashburn, VA
577 posts, read 1,783,735 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Nope. I'm not just merely jealous. I'm not the only new transplant to have been caught off-guard by the BRUTAL wave of rampant materialism and conspicuous consumption here in NoVA either. Thanks for speaking on my behalf though, especially since I don't drink coffee and would prefer a Prius over an Audi!
I saw a lot of materialism when I lived in Dallas and heard about it elsewhere. I think it's more of a 'major metropolitan area' thing. I make my own coffee (with my reusable hemp filter) and love the average 52 mpg we get from our Prius! Plus we can use it in the HOV lanes during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top