U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:37 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,193,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I am not writing to brag. I am writing because my jaw drops when people say it's tough here on $80K. Define tough.
You're preaching to the same folks who told me I must be "slumming it" to support myself in a 1-bedroom apartment in the suburbs on a $41,000 salary. I don't feel impoverished in the least bit. Material expectations here are just a hell of a lot higher than they are in most other parts of the nation. Everyone here "has" to drive a newer car (more often than not an Audi or BMW), "has" to have an iPhone or Blackberry, "has" to dine out twice per week, "has" to shop at Whole Foods, "has" to pose at Reston Town Center at happy hour with a martini in hand after work, and "has" to pose at Starbuck's to buy that $4 grande latte before work, etc., etc. If people here knew the first thing about being thrifty and adhering to the basics instead of caving into consumerism then perhaps they'd see that yes, you CAN live semi-comfortably in NoVA on a $41,000 salary. Yes, you CAN support a family semi-comfortably on an $80,000 salary. No, you can't enjoy the perks that some of our "shiny object-loving" peers do, but I never understood why so many thought only buying what you NEED was "struggling?" I wonder how many in NoVA are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 PM

413 posts, read 1,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You're preaching to the same folks who told me I must be "slumming it" to support myself in a 1-bedroom apartment in the suburbs on a $41,000 salary. I don't feel impoverished in the least bit. Material expectations here are just a hell of a lot higher than they are in most other parts of the nation. Everyone here "has" to drive a newer car (more often than not an Audi or BMW), "has" to have an iPhone or Blackberry, "has" to dine out twice per week, "has" to shop at Whole Foods, "has" to pose at Reston Town Center at happy hour with a martini in hand after work, and "has" to pose at Starbuck's to buy that $4 grande latte before work, etc., etc. If people here knew the first thing about being thrifty and adhering to the basics instead of caving into consumerism then perhaps they'd see that yes, you CAN live semi-comfortably in NoVA on a $41,000 salary. Yes, you CAN support a family semi-comfortably on an $80,000 salary. No, you can't enjoy the perks that some of our "shiny object-loving" peers do, but I never understood why so many thought only buying what you NEED was "struggling?" I wonder how many in NoVA are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt.
I'm glad to see that you've retracted your prior statement of COMFORTABLY to SEMI-COMFORTABLY. It makes a difference.

It's blatantly irresponsible to make a statement saying $40k is comfortable. Doable yes, but a far cry from comfortable.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
I'm glad to see that you've retracted your prior statement of COMFORTABLY to SEMI-COMFORTABLY. It makes a difference.

It's blatantly irresponsible to make a statement saying $40k is comfortable. Doable yes, but a far cry from comfortable.
I guess I just don't expect much out of life. I just had tortellini alfredo for dinner, and that was the best I've eaten all week!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
That's why I said "generally speaking.

That's why I included "closer to DC and closer to jobs and better schools."

Look at the test scores. Then comment.

Yeah, and that's why the 200k people who don't ride VRE are stuck on I95 every morning and evening.

And how do the people who live out in Manassas and Gainesville (also PWC) like riding the VRE? They wouldn't know, b/c there is no VRE and they are stuck on I66.
Speak for yourself. Don't assume we don't like riding the VRE. I love riding the VRE because I can sleep on the train, do some work on my computer and the fellow riders are very professional.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM

230 posts, read 1,047,541 times
Quote:
I guess I just don't expect much out of life. I just had tortellini alfredo for dinner, and that was the best I've eaten all week!
That first sentence is the understatement of the century.

I think there is no perfect answer to the OP's original question here. It is all relative to your debt, savings, who else may be supporting you, inheritance, etc. Just become some people like to drive a nicer car, and treat themselves to Starbuck's coffee doesn't make them evil as Scranbarre would perceive. It sounds like he is jealous and I bet you as soon as he is making a little more money he will be in line to order a mocha-chocha-latte, boot up his laptop and hit on some college girls while he stares out the window at his new Audi.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Speak for yourself. Don't assume we don't like riding the VRE. I love riding the VRE because I can sleep on the train, do some work on my computer and the fellow riders are very professional.
Stop creating imaginary arguments.

I didn't specifically say people who rode the VRE hated their commute.

I said:

Quote:
If you buy in PW County, and since you will be working in DC, for sure, you will be hating life during the commute.
YOU may enjoy the VRE.

Others may not, but it's safe to say that >51% of those commuting into DC from PW County (Yes, that includes Gainesville and Manassas where there does NOT exist a much ballyhooed VRE) hate the commute because there are more drivers than VRE riders.

Much more!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM

427 posts, read 973,269 times
Quote:
Stop creating imaginary arguments.

I didn't specifically say people who rode the VRE hated their commute.

I said:

YOU may enjoy the VRE.

Others may not, but it's safe to say that >51% of those commuting into DC from PW County (Yes, that includes Gainesville and Manassas where there does NOT exist a much ballyhooed VRE) hate the commute because there are more drivers than VRE riders.
Um, just to clarify, both Manassas and Gainesville do have VRE service:

Manassas Park VRE Station

Manassas VRE Station

Broad Run VRE Station

Now, to be fair, the Broad Run station is actually more down in the Bristow proper area, but it serves Nokesville/Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket. It's an easy drive (as in 10 miles or less, I'd say -- mostly less) from most of the large subdivisions in that area.

Were you thinking of some other parts of western PWC that don't have VRE service?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
Um, just to clarify, both Manassas and Gainesville do have VRE service:

Manassas Park VRE Station

Manassas VRE Station

Broad Run VRE Station

Now, to be fair, the Broad Run station is actually more down in the Bristow proper area, but it serves Nokesville/Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket. It's an easy drive (as in 10 miles or less, I'd say -- mostly less) from most of the large subdivisions in that area.

Were you thinking of some other parts of western PWC that don't have VRE service?
I stand corrected.

I do think that many more people commute via car vice VRE and those by car about 99.5% don't like it.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
That first sentence is the understatement of the century.

I think there is no perfect answer to the OP's original question here. It is all relative to your debt, savings, who else may be supporting you, inheritance, etc. Just become some people like to drive a nicer car, and treat themselves to Starbuck's coffee doesn't make them evil as Scranbarre would perceive. It sounds like he is jealous and I bet you as soon as he is making a little more money he will be in line to order a mocha-chocha-latte, boot up his laptop and hit on some college girls while he stares out the window at his new Audi.
Nope. I'm not just merely jealous. I'm not the only new transplant to have been caught off-guard by the BRUTAL wave of rampant materialism and conspicuous consumption here in NoVA either. Thanks for speaking on my behalf though, especially since I don't drink coffee and would prefer a Prius over an Audi!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM

577 posts, read 1,783,735 times
Quote:
Nope. I'm not just merely jealous. I'm not the only new transplant to have been caught off-guard by the BRUTAL wave of rampant materialism and conspicuous consumption here in NoVA either. Thanks for speaking on my behalf though, especially since I don't drink coffee and would prefer a Prius over an Audi!
I saw a lot of materialism when I lived in Dallas and heard about it elsewhere. I think it's more of a 'major metropolitan area' thing. I make my own coffee (with my reusable hemp filter) and love the average 52 mpg we get from our Prius! Plus we can use it in the HOV lanes during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or