Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

I gross $41,210 and am living semi-comfortably in a 1-BR apartment in Reston for $1,135/month. Don't listen to some who think you can't hack it on anything under $50,000 in NoVA. Methinks it all depends upon your lifestyle. I'm most certainly cutting corners left and right to live here and am not "keeping up with the Jones's," but I just stomach it, knowing that in two years I'll be a GS-11 making in the $60k range, where instead of just "breaking even" every month I'll be able to start stowing some money for a down payment on my condo in DC or North Arlington.

Another consideration might be to work two jobs. I'm currently looking around myself for a second job to work only on the weekends and perhaps a weeknight or two per week just to give myself a bit more of a "safety cushion" of income should something happen to my car, for example. A 60-hour work-week isn't really that terrible. I worked 40 hours while taking 18 credits per semester in college and survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Not sure why my friend's daughter is stuck on a certain amount for rent. I think she's pretty conservative fiscally and she wants to be able to save while she rents. Again, she's not opposed to roommates (actually wants one) so I'm thinking that she wants to get a pretty nice place and can do that if they pool their amount.

I do believe that she still wants to shop for some nicer work clothes, save for her future, and still be able to spend comfortably. And this girl has a head of hair. Her haircuts, styles, coloring is VERY pricey. Does she have to have all that? No, but it is her choice to do so. So, as everyone says, it's all about what you consider "comfortable" and she is not comfortable paying $1200 per month. She also drives a pretty old car and has for years. I'm thinking that she feels she's going to have to replace that within the year.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Not sure why my friend's daughter is stuck on a certain amount for rent. I think she's pretty conservative fiscally and she wants to be able to save while she rents. Again, she's not opposed to roommates (actually wants one) so I'm thinking that she wants to get a pretty nice place and can do that if they pool their amount.

I do believe that she still wants to shop for some nicer work clothes, save for her future, and still be able to spend comfortably. And this girl has a head of hair. Her haircuts, styles, coloring is VERY pricey. Does she have to have all that? No, but it is her choice to do so. So, as everyone says, it's all about what you consider "comfortable" and she is not comfortable paying $1200 per month. She also drives a pretty old car and has for years. I'm thinking that she feels she's going to have to replace that within the year.
I was just curious, and you're right, it is her choice in terms of what she wants to spend. I also just wanted to convey that if she has to pay $900 or $1000/month she doesn't have to freak out, just re-work her books a little bit.

If she really wants to cut down the rent, tell her to look into renting a 2 or 3-bedroom house in Ballston. My roommate's boyfriend lives with 2 guys about 3 blocks from the metro and I think they each pay about $800/month. It's quieter than Clarendon, but it's an easy metro ride (you can also just walk). If she doesn't know anyone, I saw ads looking for roommates in that range as well.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
All this talk of budgets has got me thinking - so I went online and looked for a budget program. As I'm older than most of you looking for your apartments on an entry level budget, the first budget program that I looked at was AARP. I'm hoping the printout will publish here and that we can have a discussion of just how much someone can/should spend for an apartment. (note that on page 2 the first two columns are based on inputs and the second 2 columns are based on their recommendations, with the 5th column being the difference betweein input and recommended numbers.)

The attached budget allows for a $54K salary and $500 contribution to an employer savings plan and $110 for savings. It includes $1,200 for rent and a combined $200 for cable/telephone/internet. It has a $300 car payment and minimial debt payment of $100/month (listed as credit card payments). Other than that it is a pretty lean but liveable budget.

What do the rest of you think? Is it liveable for someone making $54K to spend $1,200 on rent?

Home Budget, Monthly Budgeting Calculator : AARP
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 54K Budget.pdf (102.5 KB, 356 views)

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 AM

257 posts, read 565,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
All this talk of budgets has got me thinking - so I went online and looked for a budget program. As I'm older than most of you looking for your apartments on an entry level budget, the first budget program that I looked at was AARP. I'm hoping the printout will publish here and that we can have a discussion of just how much someone can/should spend for an apartment. (note that on page 2 the first two columns are based on inputs and the second 2 columns are based on their recommendations, with the 5th column being the difference betweein input and recommended numbers.)

The attached budget allows for a $54K salary and $500 contribution to an employer savings plan and $110 for savings. It includes $1,200 for rent and a combined $200 for cable/telephone/internet. It has a $300 car payment and minimial debt payment of $100/month (listed as credit card payments). Other than that it is a pretty lean but liveable budget.

What do the rest of you think? Is it liveable for someone making $54K to spend $1,200 on rent?

Home Budget, Monthly Budgeting Calculator : AARP
Depending on where you live, you can get a 1-bdr for $1200. It puts you "far enough" out in the suburbs though. You can get a studio for that if you want a better location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: