U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 21,159 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just moved to Leesburg from florida and I am looking to move up there with him within the next couple of months. I am a recent grad and just got my RN. I have been looking for jobs online and haven't really found anything on the internet. I was wondering if it was difficult to find opportunities for new grads. Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM

621 posts, read 2,921,226 times
I'm a new grad and still can't find a job. New grad jobs are very hard to come by up here. INOVA has somewhat of a hiring freeze right now, unless you have experience. Prince William does not have any new grad spots open either. It's very hard, but good luck, I hope you find something.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 21,159 times
thanks good luck to you too! I think its like that everywhere, Im in South Florida and a bunch of my classmates along with myself can't find anything! What happened to the nursing shortage!?!?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,655 times
I read somewhere that formerly retired nurses are joining the workforce once again because their retirement accounts took a big hit.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 AM

446 posts, read 1,486,383 times
One thing you could do is speak with George Mason and Marymount universities which both have large RN programs. You could just call as a prospective student and ask about the RN job market.

The other thing you could do is go to large medical practices. Maybe they will be needing an RN soon. Just dress nice, bring a resume and cover letter and just walk practice to practice.

While not really close to Leesburg, for fun, I'd see if NIH was hiring any RNs.

Last but not least, check with the public school systems and see if they are hiring any school nurses or nurse aides. School may not be the place you want to be forever, but it might be a good place to start.

Either way, good luck to you. Fall is a great time to be here as you will see our beautiful fall foliage in the Virginia countryside just west of Leesburg!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,917,991 times
I thought RNs were in extreme demand across the country? I thought healthcare was where they needed people. I must be wrong.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,194 times
Look for career fairs, too:

Upcoming Inova Career Fairs | Inova Health System (http://www.inova.org/about-inova/events/2009/career-fairs.jsp - broken link)

University of Virginia School of Nursing Annual Career Fair
Monday, November 30, 2009
4 to 6 p.m.
Newcomb Hall Student Center
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA

http://health-care-job-fairs.advance...tOverview.aspx

Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 AM

257 posts, read 498,608 times
I read in the paper that Reston Hospital was actually laying people off (not necessarily RN's, but in general, I know that was true.)

It *is* funny how the RN field went from boom to bust relatively quickly. I think it has to do with the economy, and how much drain there is on hospital resources without the matching revenue.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:24 AM

2,281 posts, read 5,570,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I thought RNs were in extreme demand across the country? I thought healthcare was where they needed people. I must be wrong.
In California, most of the nurses are cheaper paid imports from other countries, esp. the Philippines.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM

621 posts, read 2,921,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
That's what most people think. I do believe they are still in high demand, but either they are not hiring, people are not retiring, and like VRE said retired nurses are coming back into the field, due to retirement problems etc. It's especially hard for us new grads. There are seem to be a lot of jobs for nurses with experience, but no one wants to spend the money right now to train new grads. Hopefully the economy will turn around soon and we can find jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia