U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,798,500 times

Advertisements

An interesting point I saw in your link:

From 1926-1950, 1,305 deer were imported from out-of-state sources into Virginia. Virginia has received deer from more states (11) than any other state in the southeast. The average cost of deer purchased out-of-state was $50/deer, with costs ranging from $25-125/deer. The last deer was imported into Virginia in 1950.

So we caused our own problem!!!! We wouldn't have a deer over population now if we hadn't imported them here 50 years ago.

Deer hunting is fine by me, as long as the hunters use them for food. Hunting for sport seems wrong to me, but people have to eat. If it's ok to eat steak, it's ok to eat venison.

We have two deer that regularly sleep in the woods near my house. I understand that they've tried several times to lure this herd into Algonkian Park, where they would be safer, but they keep walking back over here and seem to have taken up residence along Lowes Island Blvd. They also seem to prefer the Blvd. to the wooded areas behind the houses. Many Vermont deer have different termperaments, but these deer seem to prefer roadside living to a large wooded park (even though they had ample food in the park).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,798,500 times
From wiki:

White-tailed deer tend to be smaller in temperate locales, averaging 77110 pounds (3550 kg).[6]

Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,983,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
From wiki:

White-tailed deer tend to be smaller in temperate locales, averaging 77–110 pounds (35–50 kg).[6]
Your wikipedia grab apparently got lost in translation:

White-tailed deer from the tropics tend to be smaller than in temperate populations, averaging 77–110 pounds (35–50 kg)

Last time I walked outside it didn't feel too tropical here.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,252 times
I live in Haymarket. I'm retired navy and enjoy hunting and eating venison. Also share excess with feed the hungry. I pride myself on being a safe and considerate hunter. I would like to find hunting property within 50 miles of Haymarket.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:12 PM

7,908 posts, read 9,608,783 times
I have had no problem deer hunting all over Loudoun in the past year. Unfortunately, it has been with my car. Two confirmed fatalities, 4 hits total. There are a lot of deer out there.......

Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 PM

27 posts, read 41,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeckw6194 View Post
I live in Haymarket. I'm retired navy and enjoy hunting and eating venison. Also share excess with feed the hungry. I pride myself on being a safe and considerate hunter. I would like to find hunting property within 50 miles of Haymarket.
I've been hunting public land for the past several years or so here. It can be productive, you just have to get to the out of the way management areas or the national forest. 3 million + acres of land you're already paying for

Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 AM

639 posts, read 1,146,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I had another thought, try the Middleburg Hunt Club and I think there is a Piedmont Hunt Club. They are for fox hunting but they would surely know farmers who will let hunters in, if they let fox hunters ride on their farm they may also let deer hunters in.

Also try Snickersville Hounds/Hunt - I hunt with them sometimes. Another option.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 AM

639 posts, read 1,146,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Also try Snickersville Hounds/Hunt - I hunt with them sometimes. Another option.

Whoops - just noticed I responded to an old post.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,999 times
I am a vegetarian and I don't like killing deer any more than any other vegetarian. But I am also a Naturalist, working for a Loudoun County Park. Deer populations are out of control and this has a HUGE impact on the health of the rest of the ecosystem. While it's unfortunate that any creature must be killed, currently there are no other reasonable and practical means of controlling their population. We took out the predators that used to control the deer population and it is our responsibility to deal with the fallout from that.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM

124 posts, read 233,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina.driskell View Post
I am a vegetarian and I don't like killing deer any more than any other vegetarian. But I am also a Naturalist, working for a Loudoun County Park. Deer populations are out of control and this has a HUGE impact on the health of the rest of the ecosystem. While it's unfortunate that any creature must be killed, currently there are no other reasonable and practical means of controlling their population. We took out the predators that used to control the deer population and it is our responsibility to deal with the fallout from that.

Bring back the wolves!

When they get fat off the deer and start to overpopulate...

Bring back the Mountain Lions to eat the wolves!

Then bring back the Sasquatches to eat the Mountain Lions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia