U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM

63 posts, read 192,791 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to go to Charleston, SC, and I hear it is nice. That should be doable, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 PM

14 posts, read 62,512 times
Wow! These are great recommendations! Will definitely keep that list handy. Specifically looking for labor day weekend, so if anyone else finds good deals for that weekend, give me the heads up.

Much thanks to all!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I second the recommendation for Cape May. We've been going there every summer since I was 12. I like all of the other recommendations, too. It depends what you like and what you want to get out of the vacation - relaxation, sightseeing, cost, etc.

Other options might be:

-New Hope, PA (outside Philly)
-Berkeley Springs, WV
-Virginia Beach, VA
Speaking about Cape May, any recommendations for places to stay? I've always stayed at Congress Hotel but this summer we thought we'd try something new. Maybe rent a house, maybe another hotel--very open to all suggestions (except sleeping bag on the sand, I'm a little old for that LOL).

Old 03-15-2010, 02:44 PM

3,286 posts, read 10,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Speaking about Cape May, any recommendations for places to stay? I've always stayed at Congress Hotel but this summer we thought we'd try something new. Maybe rent a house, maybe another hotel--very open to all suggestions (except sleeping bag on the sand, I'm a little old for that LOL).
The Hotel Alcott and Rhythms Of the Sea are among my parents' favorites. I stayed with them at Poor Richard's years ago and liked it. La Mer's also nice. Honestly, the only place there I didn't like that much was the Grand Hotel. When we stayed there it was just outdated and a little dingy (they may have remodelled since then, in which case disregard my comment).

Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I would suggest a B&B. There are so many nice ones around. The only one that we stayed at before we had kids now has a new name and new owners so I can't recommend. My parents have stayed at the Windward house and were pleased. It's on Jackson Street which is one of the prettiest streets in Cape May - right in the heart of the downtown.

Popular ones that I always hear about but have no first-hand knowledge are the Chalfonte, the Abbey, the Cliveden, Captain Mey, and Carroll Villa. But I'm sure there are many other good ones - there are literally dozens as you know.

I've stayed at the Inn of Cape May (across from ocean) when it was called the Colonial. It was nice to experience living like they did in the turn of the century. At the time I stayed there, they had the original elevator (still do), no air conditioning (not sure if they do or not), no televisions in the room, and old skeleton keys. They've had new (for about 20 years now) owners so they have upgraded it quite a bit. I loved sitting on the front porch in their rockers - still do. We usually go there at least one evening to sit and people watch. Anyway, that might be a consideration.

If you are looking for something more modern and spacious, we have stayed at Summer Station (across from ocean) which is a condo-tel with a living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, and its own washer dryer. We stayed there for many, many years, but it got pretty expensive so we moved to another hotel. My brother's family still stays there and they really like it.

Avondale By The Sea is a pretty nice motor lodge. It's not super big but right across the street from the ocean. And their stay includes breakfast.

My family has been going to Cape May for about 30 years so if you find a place and want opinions, feel free to ask me. Even if I didn't stay there, someone else in my family may have. For B&Bs, Jackson Street and Columbia Street are very popular.

I don't know of any houses for rent. But I had friends who owned a condo in Regent Beach. There are a lot of rentals there, I believe. It's a very nice place with a nice pool and right on the beach.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,983 times
Charleston, SC is amazingly gorgeous. The NC Outer Banks and Wilmington, NC (another really cool, historic town) would be closer, though.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:41 PM

989 posts, read 2,466,785 times
We love the Shenandoah Valley. It's beautiful and relaxing. The activities vary with the seasons. Lakes for the summer, skiing for the winter, hiking when the weather cooperates, lots of caverns to explore.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,983 times
Speaking of the Shenandoah Valley, has anyone stayed at the Big Meadows Lodge in the National Park?

I've been wanting to stay there since I moved to VA a couple years ago.

It's not a grand NP lodge like the Ahwahnee (at Yosemite), but it probably fits into its environment very cozily.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Speaking of the Shenandoah Valley, has anyone stayed at the Big Meadows Lodge in the National Park?
I've been wanting to stay there since I moved to VA a couple years ago.

It's not a grand NP lodge like the Ahwahnee (at Yosemite), but it probably fits into its environment very cozily.
It's nice in a lot of ways. Not quite my cup of tea--when I go up to the Shenandoahs I like the individual cabins. They're rustic, which I like. None of them have telephones, most have stunning views. When I get away from it all, I really like to get away from it all.

Alicia, if you stay at the lodge you might want to go into Luray to eat. The restaurant at the Big Meadows Lodge is only so-so.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM

By the way, Alicia, if you've never been to Cape May you've got to go. If ever there was a town that says "custom made for Alicia" this one is it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia