Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,471 times

Advertisements

There's an article in today's Prince William supplement to the Washington Post about the possibility of extending Metro to Woodbridge.

Possibility of Metro "Is Real Now" for County
Bringing Metro to places such as Fort Belvoir, Lorton, Woodbridge and possibly Potomac Mills would expedite the influx of people expected in the county for the Base Realignment and Closure proceedings and would help equalize the county's tax base.
I suspect that there would be plenty of riders if they manage to pull this off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
I imagine commuter ridership on a Metro line to Woodbridge would be quite popular. I would think the need is there, especially since I95 is an artery shared by both local commuters and vacation travelers.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
I had read about preliminary talks about extending the Yellow Line to Fort Belvoir to accomodate BRAC - at least before the economy started to tank - but that's interesting to know that Woodbridge is being considered as well.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
The more Metro lines the merrier! As soon as they complete the Silver Line I'll be riding the rails from Reston to Tyson's Corner and back everyday, removing at least one car off of often-congested Route 7. Someday way off in the future I'd also like to see the Yellow Line extended to Fredericksburg and the Silver Line extended to Leesburg. I know some may consider that to be a "pipe dream," but it's not that far-fetched. Some in the past chided that "nobody would be willing to take a train from Leesburg all the way to Tyson's or DC." I beg to differ. I regularly take the Metro's Orange Line in on the weekends now from Fairfax/Vienna/GMU to DC and think it's a very pleasant ride. I would think nothing of riding it an hour each way to work, and I'm sure the people who currently commute from Leesburg/Ashburn to Tyson's/DC would really appreciate being able to sit and work on their laptops instead of sitting in traffic.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 PM

542 posts, read 991,321 times
I also agree that more metro lines are needed, as well as extending them farther out. I ride the orange quite frequently and am surprised it hasn't been extended at least to Manassas. Should go to Gainesville. It's nice not to have to worry about dealing with the traffic on the roads, and I have to smile when I look out the window to see the parking lots that are supposed to be freeways and think that would be me if I wasn't on the train.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Would be nice, but not going to happen anytime soon. With a major airport and a huge office inventory, Dulles rail barely met FTA ridership projections. And it has a toll collection system which is providing much of the funding. And with all this, it won't be done until 2017.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,309,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I would think nothing of riding it an hour each way to work, and I'm sure the people who currently commute from Leesburg/Ashburn to Tyson's/DC would really appreciate being able to sit and work on their laptops instead of sitting in traffic.
Unfortunately, if it turns out like the Orange Line, you won't get to sit down unless you get on at the first or second stop. For several years I commuted very early in the a.m. from WFC Metro to L'Enfant Plaza and often did not get a seat. (Coming home was better because people's departure times from work are more staggered - and getting on before Metro Center helped a lot.)

Old 08-24-2009, 06:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
There's an article in today's Prince William supplement to the Washington Post about the possibility of extending Metro to Woodbridge.

Possibility of Metro "Is Real Now" for County
Bringing Metro to places such as Fort Belvoir, Lorton, Woodbridge and possibly Potomac Mills would expedite the influx of people expected in the county for the Base Realignment and Closure proceedings and would help equalize the county's tax base.
I suspect that there would be plenty of riders if they manage to pull this off.
This is a brillant idea, would be even better if it was considered 10 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This is a brillant idea, would be even better if it was considered 10 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!
As an avid mass transit rider who had to deal with slow-moving REX/Fairfax Connector buses on Route 1 for a couple years, I feel your pain.

However to be fair, it's probably difficult to determine such rapid migrating patterns as have been occurring around here.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Unfortunately, if it turns out like the Orange Line, you won't get to sit down unless you get on at the first or second stop. For several years I commuted very early in the a.m. from WFC Metro to L'Enfant Plaza and often did not get a seat. (Coming home was better because people's departure times from work are more staggered - and getting on before Metro Center helped a lot.)
I was about to say...Scran have you ever ridden the Orange Line during rush hour? From living in Arlington and commuting to clients downtown I can assure you that there is NO WAY you will be able to work on your laptop if you have any sort of conventional work hours. By the time the trains make it to my stop at Courthouse you can hardly even cram on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia