U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM

77 posts, read 255,481 times

Advertisements

My family is planning to settle and raise our kids in Springfield, Burke area of NOVA. My husband will be working around Alexandria, VA.

Can anybody give me some detail about the following:

1. Commuting time to the work,
2. Names of excellent school districts in the Springfield and Burke areas,
3. Asian Indian communities and culture programs in the surrounding areas and
4. Average home property taxes.

Thank you and looking forward to your suggestions.

Last edited by DCNY; 08-23-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,688,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNY View Post
My family is planning to settle and raise our kids in Springfield, Burke area of NOVA. My husband will be working around Alexandria, VA.

Can anybody give me some detail about the following:

1. Commuting time to the work,
2. Names of excellent school districts in the Springfield and Burke areas,
3. Asian Indian communities and culture programs in the surrounding areas and
4. Average home property taxes.

Thank you and looking forward to your suggestions.
You will need to clarify a little bit -

1. "Around Alexandria" - covers a huge area, some parts border Springfield, yet Old Town would be a much longer commute. And Springfield/Burke covers a pretty wide area, some places near the major roads, others it could take awhile. Where abouts is work?

2. Both areas are Fairfax County school districts - there are tons of post on both areas, but overall great schools are to be had in both.

3. Can't help you there.

4. I recommend you go to the county website, there is a spot where you can look up an address. But bear in mind that things are changing as the market goes down. Home prices in Springfield/Burke can vary widely, there are Million$$ and cheaper townhouses.

Real Estate Tax*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,347,923 times
In Springfield and Burke, you want to be in West Springfield District or Lake Braddock District. I think part of Burke is covered by Robinson District as well, which is also a decent district.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Thank you for the reply.

1. It is in Fort Belvior, VA. on Rt 1.

2. How does commute look like from Burke, West Springfield as there are good schools.

3. I was thinking that Burke and Springfield are good area in terms of school.
Is there any other area that would have quite life style and good schools and better commute to Fort Belvior ?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 PM

how is the traffic back and fort from Fort Belvior to west springfiled area ?

which town will be the best for both commute and schools if working in fort belvior ?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,347,923 times
It's not a bad commute at all from West Springfield to Fort Belvoir because you can take Rolling Road to Pohick Road (same road, just changes names) all the way to its intersection with Route 1. There will be traffic on Route 1, but the traffic on Rolling Road is generally not that bad. You can also branch off in Newington and get on the Fairfax County Parkway, which intersects Route 1 further north, closer to the main entrance of Fort Belvoir. As for traffic, it's not too horrible now, but with BRAC bringing 20,000 jobs to Fort Belvoir, the traffic might build unless significant improvements are implemented on Routes 1 and the Fairfax County Parkway. The nice thing about Rolling Road is that it is a secondary road and generally is problem-free.

West Springfield is on Rolling Road itself, while the Lake Braddock school is on Burke Lake Road, just a couple of miles away. The roads do intersect, so it might only add about five to ten minutes or so to live in Lake Braddock district if you prefer that district, or if you find a house that you like there. West Springfield is also a good choice, and there are some nice neighborhoods around Rolling Road and Old Keene Mill Road.

Areas closer to Fort Belvoir do not have the same quality of schools as a West Springfield/Lake Braddock. I have friends in Mount Vernon, and while they have a beautiful house and are close to the river, they see the need to use private schools or to move to another district after elementary school because of the performance statistics at their middle school and high school. The middle school might work out for them, since it's not that bad, but the high school is not the environment that they feel will be best for their children, unless it's upgraded in the near future.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
About the real estate tax....West Springfield and Burke are not "towns" in the usual sense. They are unincorporated areas of Fairfax County.

Thus, the real estate taxes will only vary by what the house's value is assessed at. The current tax rate is $1.04 per one hundred dollars of assessed value....so on a house valued at $100K, you would pay $1,040 per year....a $200K house would be $2,080 per year, and so on.

Be warned, Fairfax County has a big budget shortfall, so the tax rate is sure to rise. But, real estate taxes will never even approach what you're used to paying in Nuh Yawk!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Thank you both of you for your reply.

Can I ask one more question ?

How is the commute to DC? Is there a close metro station for DC from Burke or West Springfield ?

Thanks!

Last edited by DCNY; 08-24-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,043,542 times
There is a Metro station in Springfield.
There is also a Virginia Railway Express (VRE) station in Burke, on Rolling Road. The VRE has limited stops and service, and terminates at Union Station downtown. My sister lives near the Rolling Road station and has commuted downtown via VRE for years with very few problems. If you have a regular work schedule that fits in with the VRE schedule, it can be a very nice alternative to Metro.
Driving to DC from Burke would take some time, but it's doable.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,688,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
It's not a bad commute at all from West Springfield to Fort Belvoir because you can take Rolling Road to Pohick Road (same road, just changes names) all the way to its intersection with Route 1. There will be traffic on Route 1, but the traffic on Rolling Road is generally not that bad. You can also branch off in Newington and get on the Fairfax County Parkway, which intersects Route 1 further north, closer to the main entrance of Fort Belvoir. As for traffic, it's not too horrible now, but with BRAC bringing 20,000 jobs to Fort Belvoir, the traffic might build unless significant improvements are implemented on Routes 1 and the Fairfax County Parkway. The nice thing about Rolling Road is that it is a secondary road and generally is problem-free.

West Springfield is on Rolling Road itself, while the Lake Braddock school is on Burke Lake Road, just a couple of miles away. The roads do intersect, so it might only add about five to ten minutes or so to live in Lake Braddock district if you prefer that district, or if you find a house that you like there. West Springfield is also a good choice, and there are some nice neighborhoods around Rolling Road and Old Keene Mill Road.

Areas closer to Fort Belvoir do not have the same quality of schools as a West Springfield/Lake Braddock. I have friends in Mount Vernon, and while they have a beautiful house and are close to the river, they see the need to use private schools or to move to another district after elementary school because of the performance statistics at their middle school and high school. The middle school might work out for them, since it's not that bad, but the high school is not the environment that they feel will be best for their children, unless it's upgraded in the near future.
And depending on what Gate he will work by, taking the Fairfax county parkway to Beulah will work as well. Belvoir has multiple parts with multiple gates, and is intersected by Rt 1. I think it will be an ideal commute from either area, with good schools in each. The completion of the Fairfax County parkway is in the immediate future, which will make the commute from Rolling Road to Belvoir even quicker, passing the new complex. Of course with all the new jobs coming it will tough, but at least they built the road before the majority of the jobs get here.

I second the comment about the schools right around Fort Belvoir, Kingstowne is a great area, with the shortest commute, but the HS (Hayfield) isn't the best. It is a very transitory area, whereas Springfield and Burke will offer more stability, if you plan on staying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia