Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times

Advertisements

The Parker-Gray public housing section in Old Town is relatively small and in many parts is interspersed with some of the most expensive housing in the city. Whatever the comfort level is with that, it doesn't seem to have depressed or discouraged the premium housing there. Would I walk through Parker-Gray at 3am drunkenly jamming out to my Ipod with loose change hanging out my pockets? Perhaps not. But you might be one of many commuters walking to and from the Braddock Road Metro.

You should definitely be able to find at least a 2BR/2BA condo in Old Town Alexandria for under $500K. A townhome may be tough unless its a fixer-upper.

If you like convenient, familiar midscale retail, Kingstowne is your place. You will probably find THs in your range as well. Many of the roads are a little too wide for the community to be considered walkable... although I see plenty of people jogging on the sidewalks. The Manchester Lakes community might be one of your better bets.

I can't comment much on Dupont/ Logan Circle or Clarendon/Courthouse... except that finding a nicer condo under $500K may be as difficult as in Old Town if not even more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 AM

754 posts, read 1,738,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Whatever the comfort level is with that, it doesn't seem to have depressed or discouraged the premium housing there. Would I walk through Parker-Gray at 3am drunkenly jamming out to my Ipod with loose change hanging out my pockets?
Ok that mental image made me laugh! I guess I need to decide *IF* I were to move to Kingstowne, if that would affect the kind of lifestyle I have now. I have lived in the 'suburbs' before and I was unhappy. Primarily because the distance to travel to anything particularly during the week where rush hour ended at 7, made me not want to do anything. Right now because it's not really a hassle for me to go anywhere, I can go to work, come home (within 25 minutes), change, walk my dogs, go to my boxing class, come back shower/change and go to dinner with friends and not skip a beat. Somehow I think if I move further out, I'd end up more like a hermit. BUT, I can't deny there is something to be said for having a little more space and the convenience of a small yard for my dogs and not having to worry about walking them in the rain (like today), or fitting in time to walk them when I'm running late etc.

You've given me much to think about!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,003 times
I don't own a dog (yet) but I do live in the Courthouse/Clarendon neighborhood and there are lots of dog owners here. There is a fenced-in dog park that I walk by all the time -- it is right at 1299 N. Herndon Street, which is 2 blocks from the Clarendon Metro station.

The Arlington town website has a list/map of all the "Community Canine Areas" (yikes, what a name) here that should help you out: Community Canine Areas : Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources : Arlington, Virginia

Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,225,940 times
If you like where you are now, I would not recommend Kingstowne unless you are specifically looking for more open space and a less urban feel.

Patrick and Henry Streets, and the couple of blocks immediately around them, tend to be shabbier than other parts of Old Town because, face it, who with lots of money wants to live right on Route 1 with all the traffic?

The large public housing areas of Old Town are diminishing, and there's a lot more development going on above Washington Street in the past few years. Places that used to be a concentration of lower income are becoming more mixed.

The northern edge of Old Town (Bashford Lane area) is full of older townhouses. You could even ride a bike to the Pentagon (about 4 miles).

Outside of Old Town but still Alexandria, Del Ray and Rosemont have duplexes and townhouses under $500,000. Right now there is a 3BR townhouse in 22301 for $474,000.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 08-28-2009 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia