U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 PM

36 posts, read 128,765 times

Advertisements

Currently my husband, 3 children and I live in PA.
But, we may be moving to VA/DC area around 2011.

I would be looking for a job around Ft. Belvoir. He could maybe work at Andrews Air Force Base.

Where would you live? Consider commutes, schools (my kids will be 11, 9, and 6 at the time) and real estate cost. I dont really want to live in a crowded area.

Lets just say that price doesnt matter (for now). Where would be the best places to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM

17 posts, read 39,782 times
First, I feel obligated to say the following: if your husband ends up going to Andrews AFB, I would seriously consider living in MD. The commute to Andrews from anywhere in VA is horrible. Traffic is usually awful on I-95, 495 and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. I'm not too familiar with MD communities, so I'm assuming that Charles County, MD would be good; specifically Waldorf, MD would be relatively good option as it's a bedroom community for those that work at Andrews. I definitely would post something in the MD forum to get better information regarding MD.

However, VA is the best option if your husband goes into Ft. Belvoir. Looking at your criteria, I would look into select communities in Prince William County along with areas around the city of Fredericksburg. There are a lot of posters here from PWC that can give you great insight into what communities to avoid and where the best school systems are located.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM

715 posts, read 1,867,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNomad View Post
Currently my husband, 3 children and I live in PA.
But, we may be moving to VA/DC area around 2011.

I would be looking for a job around Ft. Belvoir. He could maybe work at Andrews Air Force Base.

Where would you live? Consider commutes, schools (my kids will be 11, 9, and 6 at the time) and real estate cost. I dont really want to live in a crowded area.

Lets just say that price doesnt matter (for now). Where would be the best places to live?
Buy a home in the West Springfield HS district in FFX Cty.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,352,108 times
In my opinion, I would tell you to stay where you are. You will be in shock with the amount of traffic, commuting times up the roof, and the uncompleted Fairfax County Parkway horrendous to get into Ft. Belvior.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 AM

446 posts, read 1,486,971 times
I would look at Kingstowne in zip 22315. Homes in 22307, 22308 and 22309 would also work. (All o these zip codes are Alexandria). Virginia will have much better schools than those of Prince George's County, Md., where Andrews AFB is. Also the commute going from VA to MD in the AM and MD to VA in the PM is better than the opposite.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,655,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelermsk View Post
along with areas around the city of Fredericksburg.
Why did you choose Fredericksburg? I would not recommend this. When the op has us not considering cost, it is quite a ways out and skips over so many other areas.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:50 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
I live in Prince William County. If my magic genie showed up and gave me a chance to move, I would go to Fairfax County and I would probably move to the Burke area or West Springfield right off of the Fairfax County Parkway. It would be a great commute for you to Ft. Belvoir. Commuting to Andrews is not horrible but not the best.

I used to live in Maryland fairly close to Andrews. Don't do it. The schools suck, there is significant crime, and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,754,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNomad View Post
I dont really want to live in a crowded area.
Last I heard, the DC metro area had 7 million people. Can you be more specific about what you mean by crowded?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM

17 posts, read 39,782 times
Quote:
Why did you choose Fredericksburg? I would not recommend this. When the op has us not considering cost, it is quite a ways out and skips over so many other areas.
I chose the area around Fredericksburg/Stafford County given the OP's criteria of not wanting to be in a crowded area. The OP could easily find Fairfax County, and even PWC as a matter of fact, to be crowded.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 18,655 times
help! being stationed at andrews afb within the month. Have been watching traffic .com during the 5pm to 6pm time frame and so far md to alexandria has been the fastest with the least incidents and andrews to waldorf has been twice as slow. Which is really the better commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or