U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2009, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,101 posts, read 67,188,022 times
Reputation: 15748

Advertisements

Wikipedia DOES have a list of credible sources more often than not though listed nicely on the bottom of each article. This came in very handy for me when I realized I forgot to do a 3-page research paper one time a half-hour before class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2009, 02:40 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
I've seen news reports where people are angry that Ted is jumping the line ahead of dead soldiers for burial at Arlington Cemetery when he never served in the military.

Well, initially you cited "news" sources saying that Kennedy was never in the military....then when corrected, you cite evidence that that his military service wasn't quite up to snuff. (but, I'm sure dubya taking a few flights over Texas, before he went missing, is the stuff of heroes!)

Let me guess, is your "news" source the same one that identified Gov. Mark Sanford as a Democrat? I guess they know their audience. LOL

As for Ted jumping the line at the cemetary....if there's anything the military types understand, it's that "rank has it's privileges".

BTW, if you want to dance on Teddy's grave....try the politics forum. I haven't looked (lack the stomach), but I'm sure they're in a total frenzy over there.

Last edited by car54; 08-29-2009 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 05:20 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well, initially you cited "news" sources saying that Kennedy was never in the military....then when corrected, you cite evidence that that his military service wasn't quite up to snuff. (but, I'm sure dubya taking a few flights over Texas, before he went missing, is the stuff of heroes!)

Let me guess, is your "news" source the same one that identified Gov. Mark Sanford as a Democrat? I guess they know their audience. LOL

As for Ted jumping the line at the cemetary....if there's anything the military types understand, it's that "rank has it's privileges".

BTW, if you want to dance on Teddy's grave....try the politics forum. I haven't looked (lack the stomach), but I'm sure they're in a total frenzy over there.
You obviously misread.

I said that the news reported that people were upset that Ted jumped the line ahead of dead soldiers for burial when he never served.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
I've seen news reports where people are angry that Ted is jumping the line ahead of dead soldiers for burial at Arlington Cemetery when he never served in the military.
When someone noted on this blog that Ted was rightful to be buried there due to his military "service," I provided a bit more details on that.

Therefore, don't accuse people of jumping on anyone's grave until you learn how to read.

Beyond all that BS was a tidbit/link on Ted and the Catholic church, which is also very interesting. I wonder if the Pope even opened up that letter.

I don't think Archbishop Cardinal Sean O'Malley will presided over Kennedy's funeral today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
 
18 posts, read 66,893 times
Reputation: 38
"Here in Rome Ted Kennedy is nobody. He's a legend with his own constituency," says the Vatican official.

The same might be said of the Vatican itself. I wonder what percentage of people worldwide can tell you who the Pope is. He's a legend with his own constituency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 06:21 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
Reputation: 3773
So, the point of the "news" report was that there are ignorant people that are unaware that Kennedy served in the military? That doesn't surprise me. Just more tricky phrasing from the ole fair and balanced folks, eh?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have voted for Teddy for dogcatcher....the ONLY thing about him that I approve of was his support for Ireland, the birthplace of my ancestors.

I purposely ignored the Catholic stuff because it is so, so predictable....arguing politics is bad enough, but politics AND religion? Ain't gonna go there. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 06:37 PM
 
5,329 posts, read 6,119,899 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
You obviously misread.

I said that the news reported that people were upset that Ted jumped the line ahead of dead soldiers for burial when he never served.



When someone noted on this blog that Ted was rightful to be buried there due to his military "service," I provided a bit more details on that.

Therefore, don't accuse people of jumping on anyone's grave until you learn how to read.

Beyond all that BS was a tidbit/link on Ted and the Catholic church, which is also very interesting. I wonder if the Pope even opened up that letter.

I don't think Archbishop Cardinal Sean O'Malley will presided over Kennedy's funeral today.

And you put service in quotes, which along with the way you emphasized parts of the quotes from Wikipedia connote that you are backpedaling yet still trying to slur him. I got my info from the same source before posting, and what I took away from it was that he served. Arlington Cemetery officials override your objection (which, be honest, never was about "some people in the news", right?)

Fact is, you tossed out an insinuation that Kennedy doesn't deserve burial in Arlington with a falsehood ("he didn't serve"), I corrected that, and you come back still maintaining his service wasn't really service and therefore he's disqualified.

I dare say he served the country a lot more than anyone else on this thread. Your obvious dislike of him doesn't change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
LOL!

I was thanked for posting data that I found on the net. Then you felt the urge to make a post against someone thanking me for providing the information that I CLEARLY said came from Wiki.


LOL!!!!!
Yes, you clearly identified the information as coming from Wiki. Did I suggest otherwise?

However, I did feel the urge to point out that the praise seemed disproportionate to your cut-and-paste [hatchet] job, which seemed uncouth, given that the burial service was this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Yes, you clearly identified the information as coming from Wiki. Did I suggest otherwise?

However, I did feel the urge to point out that the praise seemed disproportionate to your cut-and-paste [hatchet] job, which seemed uncouth, given that the burial service was this afternoon.
With regard to your opinion about it seeming "uncouth," remind yourself that this is a blog. Posters, ScranBarre in this case, are allowed to post what they want as long as it's within the guidelines and rules. Should this blog have been shut down today? It wasn't.

If it upset you, too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
And you put service in quotes, which along with the way you emphasized parts of the quotes from Wikipedia connote that you are backpedaling yet still trying to slur him. I got my info from the same source before posting, and what I took away from it was that he served. Arlington Cemetery officials override your objection (which, be honest, never was about "some people in the news", right?)

Fact is, you tossed out an insinuation that Kennedy doesn't deserve burial in Arlington with a falsehood ("he didn't serve"), I corrected that, and you come back still maintaining his service wasn't really service and therefore he's disqualified.

I dare say he served the country a lot more than anyone else on this thread. Your obvious dislike of him doesn't change that.
Ok, so you admit that you got on Wiki just so that you were able to notch down that he "served" x years in the military. So when I did the same, but "cut and paste" a bit more information that you read and learned yourself, but didn't bother to post, then that's wrong?

Puhleaze.

Last edited by live_strong28; 08-29-2009 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,865,989 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well, initially you cited "news" sources saying that Kennedy was never in the military....then when corrected, you cite evidence that that his military service wasn't quite up to snuff. (but, I'm sure dubya taking a few flights over Texas, before he went missing, is the stuff of heroes!)
What's your point in bringing up George W. Bush?

Ok, so Bush took a "few flights over Texas" as part of the Air National Guard.

"In May 1968, Bush was commissioned into the Texas Air National Guard.[28] After two years of active-duty service while training,[29] he was assigned to Houston, flying Convair F-102s out of Ellington Air Force Base.[30] Critics, including former Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe and Russ Baker, have alleged that Bush was favorably treated due to his father's political standing, citing his selection as a pilot despite his low pilot aptitude test scores and his irregular attendance.[31] In June 2005, the United States Department of Defense released all the records of Bush's Texas Air National Guard service, which remain in its official archives.[32]
In late 1972 and early 1973, he drilled with the Alabama Air National Guard, having moved to Montgomery, Alabama to work on the unsuccessful U.S. Senate campaign of Republican Winton M. Blount. In October 1973, Bush was discharged from the Texas Air National Guard and transferred to inactive duty in the Air Force Reserve. He was honorably discharged from the Air Force Reserve on November 21, 1974, at the end of his six-year service obligation.[33]"


George W. Bush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Read again, Bush ACTUALLY FLEW a US Air Force Aircraft! Can you do that?

And what did Teddy do? He polished his shoes nice and shiny as as part of the honor guard. Whoopeee!!!

"Kennedy enlisted in the United States Army in June 1951.[9] Following basic training at Fort Dix, he requested assignment to Fort Holabird for Army Intelligence training, but was dropped after a few weeks without explanation.[9] He went to Camp Gordon for training in the Military Police Corps.[9] In June 1952, he was assigned to the honor guard at SHAPE headquarters in Paris.[2][9] His father's political connections ensured he was not deployed to the ongoing Korean War.[2][10] While stationed in Europe he travelled extensively on weekends and climbed the Matterhorn.[11] He was discharged in March 1953 as a private first class.[9][11]"

Ted Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top