U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 PM

492 posts, read 1,016,549 times

Advertisements

Hello - We are contemplating relocation to the Reston/Sterling area from Phoenix, due to my husband's job (he's a flight attendant). We prefer to be somewhat in close proximity of Dulles Airport. Can anyone give some details as to jobs (I'm in the admin field), w hat major companies are located there, rental housing, cost of living, etc? What are areas that we should look into living and areas we should avoid? I've only flown in once with him, and we didnt take any time to go sightseeing, since he was on a brief layover at that time.

Thanks!!

Last edited by from nv; 08-31-2009 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,352,108 times
Don't do it

Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,121,790 times
DC is a company town and the company is the federal government. It drives everything here. The biggest consulting companies get all their contracts from the federal government. Go to usajobs.gov to see government jobs. Some of the large consulting companies are General Dynamics, SAIC, Raytheon, Booze Allen, there are lots of them. Here are some jobs advertised: Jobs in Washington, DC - Yahoo! Hotjobs (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search-l-Washington-DC-c-Management_Consulting - broken link)

You might also want to look at living in Landsdown, Leesburg and Ashburn.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Denton56 -- Thanks for the info, and the link. Are the other cities you mention better than Reston or Sterling?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM

303 posts, read 808,142 times
Hi NV. Cost of living is high, high, high, particularly housing but also in other areas, like taxes and private schools. If you go to one of the local real estate web sites (I use longandfoster.com) you can type in your housing particulars and see if what's available satisfies your requirements.

I strongly recommend you come visit before deciding on the move. Depending on what you like from life, Northern Virginia can be Mecca or well beyond the Pale (mixing religious metaphors here, but you get the idea). For example, if you need a reasonable cost of living, close sense of community, and a house with lots of character, you're going to hate it here. But if you like the idea of living close to one of the world's major cities, mixing with people from all over the world, and having a convenient jumping-off point for space-available travel (once that perk becomes more useable again), you might really like it.

I don't have any particular job recommendations, though as Denton suggests, a government job would be golden. There are also a lot of major corporations that have their headquarters near Dulles, so you might well be able to live and work in close proximity. Traffic is a major factor here, so I think you are wise to want to live near work. There are a lot of communities near Dulles, so you should have a fair amount to choose from.

If you can post more specifics - housing requirements, budget, other requirements and desires, you will probably get a lot more specific feedback.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Hi Doppelganger...having dealt with extensive airline travel and lived in multiple locations, (Dallas, Hawaii, Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix) we're quite used to mixing with people from all over the world. We're looking at renting a 2 bedroom place, somewhat close in proximity to Dulles if possible; Since I'll more than likely be by myself most of the time, I'm definitely looking at a safe location. We dont have to deal with schools...kids are grown. lol From what I've been reading, it's costly to live there, as was Hawaii, but I'm not sure quite what to expect. We're paying $1100 for a 3 bedroom 1100 sqft home here in AZ, compared to paying $1500 for a very small 729 sqft 2 bedroom apartment in Hawaii. (Gas here is about $2.69/gal; milk is $2.99/gal.) I'm not even sure what utilities will run out there! We're paying close to $400/mo just in elec alone. We don't mind spending a bit, but if we're getting our money's worth if you know what I'm saying.

We're planning on coming out to the area within the next couple of weeks, providing we can get on the flight (space-available), and see what we can look at so that we can have a better idea.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM

303 posts, read 808,142 times
We bought a house, so I can't speak to rental prices, but there are several forum contributors here who rent in Reston. Perhaps they will jump in with particulars. If not, you might want to search the forum for references to Reston. There are lots of threads that talk about apartments available there, or you may wish to post a new message with specific issues in the title that will draw the locals' attention.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Denton56 -- Thanks for the info, and the link. Are the other cities you mention better than Reston or Sterling?
The other cities are a little farther out so you get more for your money. They also have less crime than Reston and Sterling. They are more family oriented. But if you don't have kids, you might enjoy Reston more, more restaurants and bars.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM

No, it is definitely not as expensive here as it is in Hawaii. Not even close. Do some searches for rentals in Reston and the other areas. We're somewhere between Hawaii and AZ.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:50 AM

10 posts, read 21,403 times
You are making a good move. Our unemployment is sooo much lower than the rest of the country - you shouldn't have a problem finding a job here. I would say a typical 3 BR TH rents for close to 2k a month. Sure there may be some for 1500-1600 - but basements in my area are renting around the 800-1100 range. If I were you, I would rent a small townhouse in the Countryside section of Sterling. They are very small but efficient. The location is perfect for a commute to the airport from 28 - as the ramp is right there, and it's about 6 miles straight on 28. It is next to Dulles Town Center and everything else. I think rents there are relatively cheap - 1200-1500 range. It's most likely the best value for the location, if you don't need alot of space. It's a safe area as well. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or