U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 AM

316 posts, read 390,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Let's not marginalize the blacks who have succeeded and don't use the 400 years as an excuse. I don't hear asians screaming that they need lower standards just to qualify.

Obama (a man of both white and African parents) has said many times people should take responsibility and not ask for handouts.
I totally agree!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,980,189 times
"And Claremarie, anyone CAN be anything they want to be when they grow up. It may not be to "society" standards but there is almost always a way around everything if people really wanted to do it. If you are legally blind, correct your vision and become a pilot or have someone help you to fly."

Right. And wonder how many folks would want to get into that particular aircraft. There are good reasons for "society's" standards on things like pilot qualifications.
One of my sons wanted to be a Navy fighter pilot. But he is extremely nearsighted, which is one disqualification, and he's too tall to fit into the cockpit of a fighter jet, which is the other disqualification. I could lie to him, and tell him that he can be a fighter pilot if he REALLY wants it, or I could help him accept the reality of his situation and encourage him to find another dream.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 PM

154 posts, read 297,629 times
Default Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"And Claremarie, anyone CAN be anything they want to be when they grow up. It may not be to "society" standards but there is almost always a way around everything if people really wanted to do it. If you are legally blind, correct your vision and become a pilot or have someone help you to fly."

Right. And wonder how many folks would want to get into that particular aircraft. There are good reasons for "society's" standards on things like pilot qualifications.
One of my sons wanted to be a Navy fighter pilot. But he is extremely nearsighted, which is one disqualification, and he's too tall to fit into the cockpit of a fighter jet, which is the other disqualification. I could lie to him, and tell him that he can be a fighter pilot if he REALLY wants it, or I could help him accept the reality of his situation and encourage him to find another dream.
I am sorry to hear that about your child. I am a mother so I would be sad if my sons were not able to do exactly what they wanted to do as most parents probably are when this occurs. I would try to encourage my children to never give up, keep an open mind and try to follow their dreams another way. I know I have had to overcome quite a few obstacles to follow my dreams but now I have almost accomplished them because I never gave up. I may not have went about it the "traditonal" way but I did it and a lot of people (including myself) are proud of me. Sometimes, I still feel that my life is not my life and that it is a dream.

However, this is where people can agree to disagree and move on. It's your child so that is the choice you can make.

Take care.

Last edited by NOVAChick; 10-03-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
I think it's GREAT that they are putting more effort into getting MORE miniorities into everyone's BELOVED TJ. It's great that more BLACKS and HISPANICS will be attending. The TRUE face of America should be represented in the FUTURE which are our children and our children are made up of MANY races. Not one or two or even three. AMERICA is not made up of just ONE or TWO races. In EVERY post I have read recently, you focus on Blacks and Hispanics. Are you racist?

Anyone who thinks miniorities DON'T matter needs to get over themselves. I HATE racist people and EVERYONE should have a chance to be successful. The Color of someone's skin knows NO boundaries. ANYONE can be the next PRESIDENT. Anyone can be a doctor, a lawyer, a nuclear scientist. I am so SICK of hearing about race. If someone is mad about it, move out of the United States. It's not anybody's country. Everyone here are immigrants and who's to say we aren't all ILLEGAL? Who is anyone to make the law? Everyone got here some way but NO ONE derived from America.

Keep tweaking FCPS! Keep TWEAKING!
Huh? How is it racist to think that Blacks shouldn't have different standards than any other group? How is it racist to think that every race in FCPS should be treated the same?

I totally agree, I am sick to death of hearing about race. It is NOT us who focuses on race, it's FCPS who spends millions of our dollars every year, doing what YOU want, TWEAKING their system for BLACKS.

BTW, some of us were NEVER immigrants. Some of us were COLONISTS.

Just thought you would want to know.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:

The son of my dear friend worked very hard to get into the Naval Academy in Annapolis. He finally got his appointment but during his physical he learned that he was color blind. He took the test two more times, but was simply too color blind to get into the Academy. He was heart broken. But his mother, like you, helped him to pursue another dream. He's now completing a PhD in Chemistry and being courted by drug companies across the country. He loves his field and his future is golden.

You are right, there are reasons for job qualifications. Some things cannot be overcome, no matter how much we wish for it to be different. We do our children a disservice when we tell them that they can ''anything'' when they grow up. My skinny sons who lack gross motor skills will never play for the NFL or the NBA. They've learned to cope. They've learned to compensate by using their brains.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
"Anyone can be a doctor, a lawyer, a nuclear scientist."

But that is simply not true. You need well-above-average intellectual ability to enter any of these professions, as well as certain personal qualities such as diligence. When we tell our children that they can be ANYTHING they want, if only they put their mind to it and work really hard, we do them a tremendous disservice. You can't be a concert pianist if you are tone-deaf, you can't be an airline pilot if you are legally blind, you can't be a professional basketball player if you are 5 feet tall, you can't be an attorney if you have an IQ of 95.
And if skin color doesn't matter, then what difference does it make if all of the students at TJ are Asian?
Race shouldn't matter at TJ. If TJ becomes 100% Asian, so be it, those are the students who should be there because they are the most qualified and willing to do the work necessary to be successful there.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
OH YEAH!!!! You should see the math they are doing in Pr. WM. I pity those kids who have parents unable to teach them math. These kids will be in a load of trouble once they hit middle school. All my friends are teaching their kids math or hiring tutors for them. I can't wait to see the math scores once these elementary kids hit middle school. Once again, who does this hurt -- the poor and the minorities! Of course, the board would contend that this program is suppose to lift the test scores of those groups! What a waste of money!
Guess what? Loudoun county just adopted the same stupid math program as Prince William. As a result, several more families in my neighborhood have gone to home schooling. The others are hiring math tutors. Meanwhile the educrats can't figure out why poor kids aren't learning any math and aren't prepared to take higher level math in high school! Sheeze. It's SO obvious why the gap continues. Are educrats just stupid? Or what?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
You all brought it up and I am sick of hearing about it. You put everyone in a box when every Asian is not successful and every Black person is not a failure. Maybe you all should learn Black history. If your ancestors were enslaved for 400 years and just recently "freed" only to still have to face inequality then it is kind of hard to be as "successful" as all the Asians or any other race who has not faced such adversity.

If you all don't like what TJ is doing, stop griping about it and do something about it. TJ is doing what it is doing for a reason. Instead of whining, why don't all of you name ONE thing you have done to change the "affirmative action" treatment at TJ.

I am Black and I could give two craps about affirmative action. It's not ALL that great and I don't need any handouts. I have worked hard for everything I have, despite the fact that my family has had to build from scratch since not too many generations ago, they WERE slaves.

I am sick of people trying to speak on something they know nothing about. I think people are extremely insensitive to what Black people had to go through and everyone wants to sweep it under the rug and cry b/c the government is trying to give Black children and Hispanic children a chance.

I hear people whining about things like this all the time and it disgusts me. Because everyone else has it so good and whose ancestors probably ALWAYS had it so good, you sit back and whine, "Why are they helping these minorities who should have had it together by now?"

It DOES make me sick. When someone has been enslaved for 400 years (and this is just in America alone, I am not even counting the slavery in other countries), it's kind of hard to just "bounce back" and have this GREAT, driven mentality. Any intelligent, normal person knows what even ONE instance of abuse can do to a person's mentality let alone centuries of abuse. I think a great deal of Black people are doing well considering what their families have had to face over the centuries of abuse. Of course, the destroyed mentality of the Black ancestry makes it hard for parents of past generations to go back and actually believe in a country that did nothing but purposely break them down from the time they enslaved Blacks and brought them here from Africa. Whites made sure Blacks didn't know how to read and when Black people did try to move up and open a business, White people would burn down their businesses.

Read about Black Wall Street next time you want to go shooting at the mouth about how Black people don't EVER try to be successful. Learn what happens when they tried to move forward AFTER they had to overcome 400 years of slavery.

What Is Black Wallstreet?

Most of you have probably never heard about it because it was covered up and they don't teach this in the school's textbooks.

Or try this on for size:

AFRICAN-AMERICANS,

People only want to know what they know so they can believe in what they want they want to believe. Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

For a race that built this country and were treated inhumanely for too long to even make any sense, I think more programs like TJ should be available to the obviously disadvantaged. People consider disadvantaged in this day and age to be people who are poor but the disadvantaged are the people who didn't have the liberty to build their wealth since they arrived to America. If you look at the reality of the situation, Whites and probably other races had a 400 year head start to become wealthy and inbred in their children that they can be anything and that they can be successful. While Blacks were being torn apart from their families, the Black husbands were sent to the fields while the White slave owners raped their Black wives.

Try watching Unchained Memories: Readings from the Slave Narratives. Oprah, Whoopi Goldberg and several well-known and successful Black figures portray the slaves and their stories.

Black people have come a long way, look at our President and his wife and children. Not ALL Blacks are sitting back and trying NOT to make it and be successful.

And the reality is, Black people DESERVE the extra advantages that are given to them. How about we get affirmative action and A LOT of special treatment and apologies for 400 years then we can call it even.

Try reading this and see how this is just the beginning but HARDLY enough.

After 400 years, Virginia issues official apology for slavery | World news | The Guardian

Black people didn't ask to come here and I am pretty sure we are the only race that came here (in such a great amount) against our will. And we deserve to be here because we built this country and it is our country. Just like Native Americans deserve to be here but they were driven out of America or to plantations because they wouldn't cooperate with the idea of slavery. Which is ironic when they were here first.

And by the way, I am successful because of me. NO ONE has given me anything because I was Black even though if they did, it wouldn't be wrong of them. Everyone has been afforded great opportunities in America. Blacks deserve to be afforded great opportunities too. Isn’t this the Land of “opportunity”?

I served my country, I'm about to be the first person in my family to graduate from college and my husband, who is Black has ALSO served this country and has 2 degrees. We work hard for everything and plan to be successful without any handouts. And we have NEVER expected any handouts for our children. We pay for private school tuition just like any other parent WITHOUT a Black person discount. Imagine that! We shop at the same grocery stores WITHOUT special discounts. My husband and are looking for jobs just like any other person. I went to college just like any other race and the only discount I received was because my husband and I served our country. You tell me where we are getting special treatment? You sit back and put me in a box and tell me when we have even been asking for special treatment?

And Claremarie, anyone CAN be anything they want to be when they grow up. It may not be to "society" standards but there is almost always a way around everything if people really wanted to do it. If you are legally blind, correct your vision and become a pilot or have someone help you to fly. If you are 5 ft. tall, create your own professional basketball team and play basketball. Who said you had to play for the NBA? I am not a believer in standing in the way of children’s dreams. I am a strong advocate in encouraging them to be whatever they want to be. I guess Black people shouldn't have told their kids that they could be President of the United States because I guess that was "impossible" too. And yes Obama is Black based on the "one drop of blood" rule created by White people. If that rule was good enough for hundreds of years then I don't know why people should try to contest it now.

People can forge their own path and make their own way. What is stopping them? And tone deaf children/adults can play the piano professionally if they really want to. There really isn't even a such thing as "tone deaf." Do some research and check out these links for starters before shutting down a child's dream.

Music Simply Music - Preschool
Source of tone deafness | Ask Metafilter

It's people like you who make children feel like they are limited before they even leave the house.

And when I said "anyone", I meant any RACE can be a nuclear scientist, doctor and lawyer. If you followed my entire post, you would have better understood the context of that statement.

I think if Black people can try to overcome the racial divide then every other race can get over themselves and do the same. Expect to see the government and the state try to rectify what they did. It was NOT ok and some people are actually aware of that. Grow up and realize that this is why Black people are sick of hearing the whining and hearing why they get "special" treatment. And you can ignore everything I have just said and the information I provided to you but the facts are the facts and THIS is why some programs (like the one at TJ) have been put in place for Black children. I went to college and learned about the majority of my history as well as studied it on my own. I cannot account for why Hispanics are being afforded such programs and I do not speak on things if I do not know them to be true. That would have to be a different post by someone who has more knowledge of Hispanic history.

But I do know that Blacks are getting the so-called "special" treatment because we deserve it just like any Race would if they had been knocked down for 400+ years. At the end of the day, some people know the reality of what happened and they know that what happened was wrong. It was inhumane and normal people are trying to make up for the past which I think is a step in the right direction. Just an apology will not suffice.

Whether you agree with the truths of the situation is up to you.
You cannot have it both ways. You cannot say that you don't care at all about affirmative action and then write volumes explaining why you deserve affirmative action.

Slavery ended a long time ago. Many Asians come into this country with nothing, yet they make it. They don't even have the advantage of speaking English! Why do they succeed despite all the odds? It's their culture. They value families, two married parents, BEFORE children. They value education and hard work and saving money. Those have ALWAYS been the pathways to success in America. Handouts have never helped to elevate any culture or race in our country. Blacks were making real progress in our country before the handouts started, before Blacks were told that they couldn't possibly make it without handouts and affirmative action.

When the Black culture decides to behave like the Asian culture, their children will be just as successful as Asian children. No one else can force the Black culture to change. No one else can order their priorities for them.

One of my favorite columns, by Black economist/educator, Walter Williams, explains this far better than I can: Losing The Race (http://economics.gmu.edu/wew/articles/00/losing.html - broken link)

Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 AM

73 posts, read 172,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Guess what? Loudoun county just adopted the same stupid math program as Prince William. As a result, several more families in my neighborhood have gone to home schooling. The others are hiring math tutors. Meanwhile the educrats can't figure out why poor kids aren't learning any math and aren't prepared to take higher level math in high school! Sheeze. It's SO obvious why the gap continues. Are educrats just stupid? Or what?
Yes, I have heard about Loudon. Don't these school boards realize that parents are teaching their kids the math at home. If the parents didn't help their kids, the test scores would fall but as a parent you don't want your kid to fail their SOL test. It is a double-edge sword as you want the lower test scores so they will throw out this stupid math program but you don't want your child to have a failing SOL score on their record. I feel bad for those kids whose parents are unable to teach or afford a tutor for their kids. These are the groups that we always target for SOL remediation and they will probably need even more remediation when they hit middle school.

MI is a SUPPLEMENT to traditional Math. It should not replace traditional Math. Kids aren't taught the algorithms in elementary school and heck, what happens when they enter middle school? We will have kids trying to multiply with their fingers and toes!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 AM

2,439 posts, read 5,980,189 times
"Don't these school boards realize that parents are teaching their kids the math at home."

Isn't it ironic that as the public school system devotes an increasing amount of time to flu-prevention hygiene, safe sex education, drug-free education, obesity prevention, Internet safety, bully prevention, tolerance and acceptance -- all the sort of things that used to be the responsibility of parents -- parents now are forced to teach the basics of math and reading at home so that their kids don't get left behind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia