U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:23 PM

715 posts, read 1,866,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"No, but colleges do give preferential treatment to athletes...most even get full athletic scholarships (except for ivy league schools) to include free tutoring, advising, etc."

Once again, I'll ask where on earth you get your information?
Most college athletes receive partial scholarships. Full rides are typically limited to football and basketball stars at Division I schools or former Olympians. Everyone else gets a few thousand dollars plus some free workout gear.

"Excluding the glamour sports of football and basketball, the average N.C.A.A. athletic scholarship is nowhere near a full ride, amounting to $8,707. In sports like baseball or track and field, the number is routinely as low as $2,000. Even when football and basketball are included, the average is $10,409. Tuition and room and board for N.C.A.A. institutions often cost between $20,000 and $50,000 a year."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sp...olarships.html

Granted, it's a lot better than zero, but nowhere close to a free ride for the vast majority of athletes. Plus, they do have to work much harder than the average student.
That's what I meant really...basketball and football. I'm sure some schools that are big on lacrosse like JHU, G-Town, Maryland, Syracuse, etc. also offer full rides.

Nevertheless, athletes do get preferential treatment in the application process whether they get full rides, partial scholarships, or no scholarship (ivy league, as I said).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
Whatever they have done, it hasn't helped at all. There is still very few hispanics/african-americans attending TJ. They need to work on this in the elementary school level. By the time they get to middle school, a lot of these kids will not be able to take Algebra (which is a requirement for TJ). It starts at home and the parents emphasizing the importance of education to their kids.
I totally agree. The Black kids really need to learn math in school, REAL math, because they don't have the advantages that ASians and white kids have, with parents at home who can teach the real math that is no longer being taught at schools. Asian kids go to tutors to learn more math, they all take writing class and summer math and science classes. They spend all day in Chinese school. Since poor students can't have all those extra things, and our schools continue to make our kids use the worse, most fuzzy math books, these poor kids don't stand a chance.
lac
Changing a culture that has little respect for education is harder. I watched a Black school board member, Ernistine Heastie give a speech at a meeting of the NAACP. She told that their kids weren't going to do any better in school until they got the attitudes of the Asian families. She wanted Black families to watch Asian families and try to emulate them. She said the Asians had good vaulues, staying in school, working hard, close families who were doing all they could to set up their children for success. The focus is always education, that's the most important thing. Ernestine told the crowd that they must become more like Asian families if they wanted their child to succeed, and to have worked hard enough to get into TJ. She was right. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the last 10 years, so it's not surprising that the TJ numbers haven't changed.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 AM

660 posts, read 1,499,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I totally agree. The Black kids really need to learn math in school, REAL math, because they don't have the advantages that ASians and white kids have, with parents at home who can teach the real math that is no longer being taught at schools. Asian kids go to tutors to learn more math, they all take writing class and summer math and science classes. They spend all day in Chinese school. Since poor students can't have all those extra things, and our schools continue to make our kids use the worse, most fuzzy math books, these poor kids don't stand a chance.
Even if what you are saying about Asian families is true (as an aside, Asian /= Chinese, and I don't think Vietnamese students in Falls Church have the same kinds of advantages you described), what makes you think that white kids all have parents at home who can teach them math, whether fuzzy or real? I agree that white families often have financial advantages over black families that help white children get a better education, but I think most white parents (even in vaunted Northern Virginia) are pretty useless when it comes to helping their children in math.

Admittedly, I stopped taking math as soon as I finished high school, but what is real math? If real math is calculus and trigonometry, real math is pretty useless for most people in college and in the workplace. Knowing how to interpret statistics or how to figure out which debt to pay off first are far more useful to most people, including most educated people, yet these are often derided as not being pure enough for a college-prep math curriculum.

On another note, why did Virginia put its Governor's School for Government and International Studies in Richmond and not up here? It would make a lot more sense to have a school for government and international studies miles away from, oh, the national capital and headquarters of at least one major international body (the World Bank) than in Richmond.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM

715 posts, read 1,866,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
lac
Changing a culture that has little respect for education is harder. I watched a Black school board member, Ernistine Heastie give a speech at a meeting of the NAACP. She told that their kids weren't going to do any better in school until they got the attitudes of the Asian families. She wanted Black families to watch Asian families and try to emulate them. She said the Asians had good vaulues, staying in school, working hard, close families who were doing all they could to set up their children for success. The focus is always education, that's the most important thing. Ernestine told the crowd that they must become more like Asian families if they wanted their child to succeed, and to have worked hard enough to get into TJ. She was right. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the last 10 years, so it's not surprising that the TJ numbers haven't changed.
Are you asian?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 AM

518 posts, read 1,292,855 times
TJHSST is now a Blue Ribbon School, one more accolade to add to the collection.

2009 Blue Ribbon Schools List (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/web_links/091509_2009_blue_ribbon_schools_list - broken link)

"The award goes to public schools in the top 10 percent of academic performance in their state -- private schools are judged by a national exam -- and to schools where at least 40 percent of the students are from disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate dramatic improvement." --Wash Post

Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 AM

147 posts, read 367,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
It's fairly common knowledge that the SAT is biased towards certain groups.
I'm assuming you misspoke and meant to say, "It's fairly common knowledge that special interest groups and well-meaning but uninformed supporters of social engineering have repeatedly asserted that the SAT is biased toward certain groups, but these claims have never been supported by any hard evidence."

Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 PM

320 posts, read 613,054 times
Since FCPS decided upon a "weighting" scale for high school courses, they are now refusing to give "weight" to some of TJ's toughest courses such computational physics (typically taken by students after they finish AP Physics C and AP Calculus BC). So DNA Science, Computational Physics, Quantum Physics, and Organic Chemistry, among other courses, will be weighted just like a PE (gym) class which is no weight whatsoever. This makes no sense as these courses are taken by students after they have exhausted the AP classes in the subjects. Maybe it is me but this doesn't sound logical or correct -- can anyone explain their decision to me? Maybe there is a logical reason for their decision which escapes my understanding.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
Since FCPS decided upon a "weighting" scale for high school courses, they are now refusing to give "weight" to some of TJ's toughest courses such computational physics (typically taken by students after they finish AP Physics C and AP Calculus BC). So DNA Science, Computational Physics, Quantum Physics, and Organic Chemistry, among other courses, will be weighted just like a PE (gym) class which is no weight whatsoever. This makes no sense as these courses are taken by students after they have exhausted the AP classes in the subjects. Maybe it is me but this doesn't sound logical or correct -- can anyone explain their decision to me? Maybe there is a logical reason for their decision which escapes my understanding.
Of course it isn't fair, or logical. The most difficult course in the school is Quantum Physics and the Principal and FCPS adminstration wants to count it the same as PE.

The reasons are that they want to keep down TJ students whenever possible. The administration hates that TJ kids do so well. They are of the mindset that ALL students are equal and TJ students make it obvious that is NOT true. Anything that FCPS and the TJ administration can do to force TJ kids to appear to less than what they are is all to the good in their never ending quest to make ALL students appear equal to all other students. Anything else might hurt someone's self esteem or lead people to think that some students are born smarter than others and/or some students work harder than others. Neither of those is acceptable in education circles. It is politically incorrect in their view of the world and they will never stop trying to make their view the reality even when it never can be. Everyone is equally smart and equally motivated. No one is special. No one is smarter. No one should have anything special just because they worked hard for it. It proves nothing and should not be rewarded. That's their mantra.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 AM

Have you heard the latest? The Principal at TJ is advocating doing away with ALL GPA's on transcripts for TJ kids. He has that full backing of the FCPS administration, of course. That way, no one will ever be able to tell which students at TJ worked harder, studied more, and got higher grades. That way no one will know who took more AP and college classes at TJ. ALL students will be completely EQUAL, regardless of what they do or how hard they work. (Isn't that how things work in the real world? We all get equal promotions and equal pay and equal recognition, regardless of what we do. Don't we?) All GPAs will all be secret, from the students, and from the colleges that they apply to! Isn't that swell? And so much easier for the counselors and administrators at TJ too. Better for everyone. Except the students who will be left out of the first cut of 90% of the colleges in the US because their transcripts will have NO GPA's on them.

At the PTA meeting where this was discussed, and presented to parents, 95% of the 200 parents in attendance objected. No matter. The administration wants it that way. But they are going to ''consider'' the parent's objections before making their final decision, prior to the end of the first grading period.

This is NOT a joke, although it does sound like one. These idiots running are schools are dead serious. They are preparing students for the real world by pretending that they are all equal and forcing the entire school to pretend the same too.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:23 AM

320 posts, read 613,054 times
I don't believe the GPA thing will fly -- there will be too much opposition from the parents and it will definitely make students think twice about going to TJ if it does take effect. As a parent, I would seriously think of withdrawing my child from TJ as the lack of GPA will hurt his chances when applying to college. Why work your ass off for what -- no GPA for the colleges to look at? How are they going to compare TJ students to other students? Are they hoping that the school's reputation will impress and be an automatic admit? From what I heard, the no GPA thing was thrown out there due to FCPS' stand on NOT revisiting the weighting issue. FCPS seems to want it both ways -- they will take the great publicity that TJ brings to the county but refuses to treat the school as a "unique" school. I bet no other high school in Fairfax offers quantum physics!!!!

No matter what people claim, I still believe that GPAs/rank are used to separate the thousands of applications that pour into admissions offices. With the short amount of time between the due date of the application and the date of decision, I have always found it unbelievable that adcoms have the time to read or recalculate the GPA of EACH application especially with the ten of thousands that must pour in to the top schools.

Last edited by Muffy62; 09-17-2009 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia