U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,487,488 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

My friend is moving to NoVA for a few years on a business assignment. His office is in Sterling, and he is wondering what would be a good place for him to rent an apartment for his family (married with a little one).

He would like a neighborhood that is safe, not too far from Sterling, easy access to public transport, and close to amenities such as grocery stores and parks. Can you recommend such neighborhoods (in or around Sterling) and apartments as well?

Thanking you in anticipation of quick replies.

Regards,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 AM

26,555 posts, read 47,267,732 times
I will defer here to Ashburnite, Normie, and others who live in the immediate Sterling/Ashburn area for better help, but I've always been partial to Parc Dulles, which is adjacent to the Dulles Town Center. A co-worker of mine just signed a lease there and seems to be pretty happy. Just be advised there is very little mass transit anywhere in Loudoun County; there is bus service, but it tends to be much less extensive than what is available in Fairfax County due to the smaller population density. In that complex you'll be across the street from a major regional shopping/dining area. Lansdowne wouldn't be a bad choice as well, but it's a further drive to Sterling (and Route 7 can be a bear at times).

Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks ScranBarre. I shall wait for others' opinions as well.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Can someone please help out? Thanks a lot.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,157,649 times
Countryside is a nice area of Sterling across from the Dulles Town Center mall. I think there's a garden apartment complex across from the Countryside shopping center (Safeway, CVS drug store, movie theater, restaurants, Wendy's, McD, BK, Taco Bell, etc.). There's a lot of doctors in that office complex at Countryside and nearby (we have 3 personally). There's Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart Supercenter, Wegman's, etc. within 1-2 mile driving distance. Odds are that the job is located somewhere in that vicinity of Sterling between Church Rd and Leesburg Pike which would be again within 5 minutes of the apartment. Dulles Town Center with Parc Dulles and other apartments would be another choice. They have a very busy kids playground in the mall.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks, lchoro.

Are there any places in Reston or Herndon that would be ideal as well? My friend wouldn't mind commuting from there to Sterling for work.

Regards,
K

Old 09-06-2009, 11:32 AM

7,788 posts, read 12,020,797 times
The Loudoun County residents here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that if your friend is working in Sterling, which is in Loudoun County, then he should definitely look for a place in Loudoun: e.g. Ashburn, Sterling or Leesburg. The cost of living will be less expensive and the likely commute down Route 7 will be relatively brief.

Reston and Herndon might give you a less stressful "reverse" commute to Sterling but I think that might be offset by the increased cost of housing.

I also should mention that public transport in that area will consist of commuter buses. It will likely be easier for him to drive to work.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,157,649 times
Costs won't be much different from Sterling if he chooses one of the older apartments (Charter Oak, Parc Reston, Sycamores, Fairway) across from the Reston Town Center. There is a Harris Teeter and a bus station in Reston Town Center.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the replies. I shall pass on this info to my friend.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,245,999 times
kutra11, just Google the apartments and townhouses in Sterling and see what's available. There are plenty of places to choose from in Sterling whether they are in Countryside, near the Dulles Airport, across Rte 7, or the newer ones near the Dulles Town Center Mall. Sterling has a mix of older neighborhoods and brand new houses, townhouses, and apartments.

Be sure to check Craigslist too to see what's available. Some people rent out townhouses and you may get a better price on a townhouse, especially since your friend has a child.

Not the greatest: there are some housing areas in a small shopping are on Sterling Blvd (with a Big Lots,etc.)--a little shady and seems like there are transplants/half-way houses there. Just take a look. But if you see a place that costs less, you'll see why.

Plenty of shops, restaurants, and grocery stores to choose from including a fantastic Asian supermarket in Sterling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia