U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 10,553 times

Advertisements

OK! So I am a young professional, just out of college and I am looking at renting in NoVA. I went to school in Baltimore County, but I live in Fairfax Station with parents right now; I obviously have a lower budget than my parents though. One of the places I am looking is in Blooms Crossing, Manassas (the single family homes part). Actually, on Cougar Dr. if you know it. I drove through the neighborhood and I also saw the house...people seem comfy there (walking around in the evening, kids riding bikes, etc.) .

When I brought up Manassas with my parents, they told me how it isn't a great area, etc. But, statistically speaking, it seems comparable to where I've lived before. Also, the people living there say they have next to no crime (especially since they live across the street from a police officer). So, I thought I'd ask more opinions??? Is the Blooms Crossing area in Manassas a decent place to live (short-term)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 AM

280 posts, read 913,274 times
IMO, yes, the Blooms Crossing (as well as Blooms Mill and the general Signal Hill area) is safe to live, convenient to the VRE, not too convenient to other stuff.

Manassas Park gets a bad rap, somewhat deservedly, but I think that is a pretty safe area.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM

From what I've read, it's mostly stuff like auto-theft and breaking and entering in that area. Which, while undesireable, is not as bad as ...well... violent crime. The police officer across the street makes me feel better lol

Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 AM

2,721 posts, read 6,268,148 times
Yeah but what happens after he moves away ;-P

Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,647,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Yeah but what happens after he moves away ;-P
One of my neighbors used to be a Loudoun County deputy. When he started bringing his cruiser home, people stopped speeding down our street. But then he left the force... we miss the cruiser.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
One of my neighbors used to be a Loudoun County deputy. When he started bringing his cruiser home, people stopped speeding down our street. But then he left the force... we miss the cruiser.
Haha. I'll bet. Well, and also, it's only for 6 months...so if he moves away, well let's hope it won't be in the next 6 months!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:25 PM

6,587 posts, read 10,900,305 times
The area in Blooms is not bad at all. I was a police officer nearby for many years and that area overall is pretty quiet. There is no perfect neighborhood if you're looking for one. Manassas Park Govt. has its problems but the area you're looking at is fine.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 10,755 times
Default Blooms Milland Roseberry Farm.

I lived in the area myself for five years... The area is safe. The community is easy going. Blooms Crossing is an older developement near the golf course. Signal hill is a great little park. Once you start making friends out here you be walking and strolling up and down the neeighbor hood on your own...but with any community and aity..just becareful of your surroundings.

THe police stationfor Prince William county is near wellington road in MAnassas city 5 miles away.

My ental is in Roberry Farm.. signal family detactched. Did you see the VRE, New Town center and the Signal Hill Prak...cool wait for Holloween trails and the trick or treaters. The July 4th fireworks at Signal Hill Park is awesome.

Good luck is it safe and fun there. You can go into Centreville and Fairfax.. my house may be leasing in OCt. if interested let me know.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM

71 posts, read 180,330 times
Manassas Park is great area to live if you work in Alexandria, Crystal City, or L'Enfant Plaza. The Virginia Railway Express is a great way to commute into the city. I don't understand why people drive into the city. They just finished a LEED certified elementary school and town center and are currently building a rec. cener. The taxes are same as PWC/Manassas City. The tax rate is higher but that is just based on assessments. The East end of the MP is a newer development.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,735 times
I'd much rather live in Manassas than in nasty Fairfax County! I say that in jest because I've ran into a few people in the few months since I've moved here who live in blessed Fairfax County and seem to think there is a drastic quality of life difference between there and here (I'm also from out of state and I don't get the whole thing about identifying yourself by the county you live in). But I look at the hole my friend there is living in compared to what I am getting for the same price in Manassas Park and start to wonder why it's so cool to be there. I also have a shorter commute to DC than my Fairfax County coworker because I take the VRE and he has to bus to the Metro. It just seems that you have to compare places neighborhood by neighborhood rather than city by city or county by county.

Shopping is not as easy here as it is in the "Greatest County in the World," and schools are supposedly better there too. Maybe I'll understand why that's so important when my toddlers get to that age. The schools here look good enough that if my kids don't succeed, it's not the school's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia