Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM

49 posts, read 127,068 times

Advertisements

Hope this isn't too rude. I get lots of info here, but am wondering if there's a more Reston-specific forum online anywhere, since right now (as a almost new resident), I have lots of questions and just want to hear from fellow Restonites (or is it Restonians?), and hopefully also limit the snarky Reston-haters ;-) I've googled, looked in Yahoo Groups, etc. I only found one, but it seems to be limping along with forum software that the mods have been somehow locked out of, and traffic has come to a trickle. I've tried to create groups like this when i lived in Vienna, but for whatever reason it seems really hard to create an online community for a relatively small place (despite so many tech-savvy residents)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Besides the Restonian there's not any other Reston-specific sites I can think of. You also have the Reston Association and Reston Citizens' Association, both of which may be biased though because their main goals are just to sugar-coat and promote the community to others.

P.S. I'm not a "Reston hater." If you read the Restonian you'll see there are a TON of us in Reston who like to poke fun at the community through satire. We're by no means "anti-Reston" though. Do I get frustrated at times that Reston can't be more like Arlington? Yes. However, I'm still generally positive regarding this place.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM

49 posts, read 127,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Besides the Restonian there's not any other Reston-specific sites I can think of. You also have the Reston Association and Reston Citizens' Association, both of which may be biased though because their main goals are just to sugar-coat and promote the community to others.

P.S. I'm not a "Reston hater." If you read the Restonian you'll see there are a TON of us in Reston who like to poke fun at the community through satire. We're by no means "anti-Reston" though. Do I get frustrated at times that Reston can't be more like Arlington? Yes. However, I'm still generally positive regarding this place.
Hmmm, I don't think I had you in mind as a Reston Hater. I'm all for self deprication, but especially when you are moving to a new place, you actually want to look at it in a good light, or otherwise, why are you moving there? I'm sure over time I will find a lot to make fun of Reston for, but at least initially, I'd like at least SOME kind of honeymoon, heheh.

There's another blogger in Vienna and just about every entry he posts is really attacking of the mayor, the town counsel, and/or Vienna in general. It's great to have critics, but after a while it does also wear on you. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, as they say, but they also say that you can catch more flies (?) with honey than you can with... vinegar? Just wish sometimes there was a middle ground!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM

There's actually no "anti-Reston" presence that I can think of really. My Restonian pals and I like to be witty with our satire (i.e. "News Flash: Prozac-doped soccer moms in SUVs drive into Macaroni Grill in mass panic as Reston HOA bans Russet Brown as an approved front door color!") Some who really DO fit the town stereotypical demographic get mortally offended, but such is life. What good is life if you can never take a joke at yourself?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:43 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
There's actually no "anti-Reston" presence that I can think of really.
I think there is a substantial anti-Reston presence on this board.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I think there is a substantial anti-Reston presence on this board.
I never noticed it before. If anything Reston has the most members/supporters on here right now.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM

247 posts, read 688,019 times
Should anyone find one, or create one, I'd be up for joining a Reston board. While generally people on here are nice and friendly, I've witnessed the Reston-haters from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia