U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 AM

63 posts, read 199,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbearsmama View Post
ibecowtippin - thank you for bringing optimism to some of pessimistic comments i see on here. i appreciate how you broke it down in simple numbers and show how it is possibility. i'm trying to move to the city but i don't need to live the city life. thanks so much.

the biggest challenge for me...cooking every night...eekkkk. i'm sure i can do it though
Hey, cooking at home every night allows for a healthier diet, which means less healthcare cost And you can get the kid(s) involved in learning to cook as well. Some english muffins, a jar of pizza sauce, cheese, pepperonis, you can have make your own pizza night for around 8 bucks, and the kids have a blast making their own creations. switch the muffins for tortilla shells and sauce for refried beans, and then you have mexican pizzas.

Yes, we love cooking in our house, can't you tell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,567,132 times
Quote:
the biggest challenge for me...cooking every night...eekkkk. i'm sure i can do it though
You'll learn quick things to make. Cook a big meal on Sunday and eat it all week. Especially come winter-time I'll make soup (minestrone is cheap, easy, and keeps well), lasagna, baked zucchini, shepherd's pie, stews, chili, pasta salads, etc and just eat it for about 10 days. Or I'll make a pot of meat and vegetable tomato sauce and pour it on pasta. Buy a bunch of boneless chicken breasts on sale and freeze them. If they're thick like Perdue you can even cut them in half to get twice as many. They cook in the microwave if you can't handle bringing out a pan one night (it happens). Add some veggies and you've got a meal. Pita pizzas are also really easy and more of a "treat" for me (top some pita bread with veggies, cheese, and herbs, bake for 5 minutes at about 425, and you're done). I like using chopped tomato, goat cheese, fresh basil (from my plant), and a drizzle of olive oil. It takes me 10-15 minutes to make it, from pulling the stuff out of the fridge to sitting down and eating it.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM

43 posts, read 74,087 times
haha. cooking won't be too bad. i know how to cook i just never do since i cant find the time...but i have faith. oh and just fyi, i do copy and paste a lot of these comments so i can save them on my computer. receipes are welcome, lol. i can probably start a receipe folder...hmmm

ibecowtippin - as for basement apartments, ive actually been looking at them to get a rough figure on how much rent would be. i know 2br basement apt are hard to come by but ive seen a few. ive also been looking at 1BR apt with dens. i really dont want to live in an apt for the sake of my neighbors but im still looking at it as an option.

if anyone knows of places hiring for someone with a degree, please let me know. i'd appreciate the help. i have references, cover letter and resume if you'd like to see too.

hope everyones having a great friday. its raining in GA

Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,137,491 times
Quote:
haha. cooking won't be too bad. i know how to cook i just never do since i cant find the time...but i have faith. oh and just fyi, i do copy and paste a lot of these comments so i can save them on my computer. receipes are welcome, lol. i can probably start a receipe folder...hmmm

ibecowtippin - as for basement apartments, ive actually been looking at them to get a rough figure on how much rent would be. i know 2br basement apt are hard to come by but ive seen a few. ive also been looking at 1BR apt with dens. i really dont want to live in an apt for the sake of my neighbors but im still looking at it as an option.

if anyone knows of places hiring for someone with a degree, please let me know. i'd appreciate the help. i have references, cover letter and resume if you'd like to see too.

hope everyones having a great friday. its raining in GA

there are some great recipes on the Food and Drink forum and some really helpful and friendly people. You can also check out Kraft.com for recipes

Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 AM

63 posts, read 199,201 times
Quote:
USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site if you haven't already. That's how I got my position (so yes, it is possible to get a good federal job without having an "in").

My wife started out at TSA HQ as an admin and has moved up over the years. What's your degree in? They hire a lot of people continuously to work in acquisition. Pretty much any business degree will do.

Be persistant with putting in applications through that site though. Also, really focus on the KSAs, usually a one page answer per questions (I also do interviews for my job for candidates so could provide pointers if you go that route).

It took me about two months to get replys from my resumes. The problem was, I threw out about a dozen or so resumes at job postings and a majority of them started calling me for interviews. It became very busy. I even got a call 3 months after I accepted a position for an interview, so had to turn it down.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM

43 posts, read 74,087 times
I'd appreciate the help ibecowtippin. I've applied with USAJOBS before but those questions...phew...I can't think of anything to write or even know where to begin...I see jobs that I'd like to apply to all the time though.

Degree is in Finance. I just got my resume and cover letter professionally rewritten to help get my foot in the door. I have experience with a lot of different jobs just none dealing with finance directly, ie accounting, budgeting, etc but I'm more than capable of doing it. I'm pushing my resume out there for some sort of leads since I know most hiring processes are lengthy in nature. I want to be able to make my move preferably in November...but the way things are looking, I'm unsure if thats going to happen.

Since I'm in another state this entire process isn't something I'm familiar with so not hearing anything is driving me insane, grrrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia