Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 AM

52 posts, read 216,289 times

Advertisements

I checked out Great Falls. It was very nice. Anywhere else to check out?

Flat places like Great Falls would be great but I'm also looking for something a bit mountainous for some uphill hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 AM

70 posts, read 114,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbg View Post
I checked out Great Falls. It was very nice. Anywhere else to check out?

Flat places like Great Falls would be great but I'm also looking for something a bit mountainous for some uphill hiking.

Try Shenandoah National Park (SNP) in northern VA. has 500 miles of trails, mostly hilly.

-Appalachian Trail goes thru SNP, 105 miles

-White Oak Canyon trail is nice, but popular and may be busy at times.

-Old Rag Mountain, popular, but more challenging than any other in SNP.

Shenandoah National Park Hiking Page

Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Maryland Heights near Harpers Ferry
LocalHikes - Maryland Heights

Sugarloaf Mountain Park
http://www.patc.us/hiking/destinations/sug_loaf.html

Old 09-05-2009, 04:27 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I know of these Virginia parks close to DC, they have hiking trails that aren't flat but aren't rugged either:

Turkey Run Park Home Page

Welcome to Potomac Overlook Regional Park

One hour or more from DC: endless opportunities. I just got back from doing the Stony Man trail on Skyline Drive.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
I like going to Prince William Forest
Prince William Forest Park - Hiking (U.S. National Park Service)

I'm not sure if it will be rugged enough for you, but it may be worth a try. I really like it because it's not very crowded. Sometimes I'll go on a 3 or 4 hour hike and not see a single other person!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
There are tons of good hiking guidebooks for the DC metro area. For the beginner or someone new to the area, I highly recommend Moon Outdoors Take a Hike Washington DC. It profiles several hikes in the northern part of Shenandoah, but most of the book is devoted to good hikes within two hours of DC, in Virginia and Maryland, as well as the District itself. It's well-written and the trails described in the book are generally well-blazed and/or easy to follow.

And I definitely second the recommendation for hiking Old Rag. Many people in this area will tell you it is the best hike in the mid-atlantic, bar none. Another hike with some really nice views at the end that I have always enjoyed is the hike to Mary's Rock in northern Shenandoah. You should be able to find it on the NPS maps fairly easily.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Another hike with some really nice views at the end that I have always enjoyed is the hike to Mary's Rock in northern Shenandoah. You should be able to find it on the NPS maps fairly easily.
I second this recommendation.

Here's a link with info:

Buck Hollow / Mary's Rock Hike

Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,322 times
Near Potomac Overlook Park, try the Donaldson Run trail. It is very hilly closer to the river before it connects to the Potomac Heritage Trail. Bring good shoes as you will be crossing the stream a number of times.

The trailhead is at 30th St N and Military Rd. It also connects to trails in the Potomac Overlook Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia