U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Are You Happy Living in NoVA?
Yes 83 69.17%
No 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 PM

63 posts, read 118,461 times

Advertisements

ScranBarre, I was your age when I moved here from Scranton. I took a low paying job to get my foot in the door of the career I wanted. Many nights I sat in my closet and cried, tired from working double shifts, and scared of running out of money. But, I was so happy to get out of Scranton that I didn't let myself get too depressed. I knew there was so much potential here in every capacity, and it didn't look like a dump which really depressed me while in Scranton. I had to have a roommate to make ends meet and to be able to live close to DC. Everything turned around after about a year. I got my dream job, made more friends, and my social life became pretty good. I think a combination of willing to share an apartment to be close to DC, waiting it out, and knowing I never wanted to go back to Scranton were key to my eventual happiness. But, that's me. I do feel you should wait before moving anywhere, but if you are truly still depressed after a year or more, than life is just too short to not move on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,458,656 times
I am very happy living in NoVa but how many times have you asked a similar question on this forum?

I'm convinced you would find something wrong with everywhere you lived but that is just my opinion. So far I haven't seen any evidence to indicate otherwise.

I really think you just need to move somewhere else for your own emotional well being...life is too short to be miserable.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM

510 posts, read 585,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I am very happy living in NoVa but how many times have you asked a similar question on this forum?

I'm convinced you would find something wrong with everywhere you lived but that is just my opinion. So far I haven't seen any evidence to indicate otherwise.

I really think you just need to move somewhere else for your own emotional well being...life is too short to be miserable.
Anyone who's read his posts knows he could stay here another year or two and he would still be miserable. He should move to Pittsburgh - as he claims to know that area and seems to think he would be happy there. The chances of him being happy there are better than here, which seem to be between slim and none. At least there it's a fighting chance.

He is so negative on this area, it doesn't matter what anyone's going to say - he's asked this question often on this forum, and by now he isn't going to get a response that is going to be what he wants to make him happy, whatever that is.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM

7,781 posts, read 12,002,970 times
I don't think this thread was intended to focus on anyone in particular, whether we are trying to be helpful or not. I admit to being "guilty" in perpetuating this.

How about we get back to sharing our own reasons for being happy (or not) in NOVA?

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM

655 posts, read 1,314,646 times
meetup for 20's and 30's new to dc area lotsa members
DC Metro 20's & 30's New In Town & New Friends Meetup (Washington, DC) - Meetup.com

NOVA gay and lesbian professionals meetup group

The NOVA Gay & Lesbian Professionals (Arlington, VA) - Meetup.com

what about moving to arlington or falls church and sucking up the longer commute? or just take the bus to avoid driving in traffic if you move to arl or falls church (won't save commute time I think but will save stress vs driving) ? new job in say fairfax/tysons, arl, alx, or dc so you can live in arl, alx or dc?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM

655 posts, read 1,314,646 times
Arlington Gay and Lesbian alliance
well here is the link pg including more dc area groups

Related Links ~ AGLA ~ Arlington Gay and Lesbian Alliance, Arlington Virginia

Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 PM

7,781 posts, read 12,002,970 times
Thank you, vivo.

Once again, returning to the topic of one's personal happiness in NOVA will lengthen the life of this thread.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 PM

24 posts, read 58,170 times
Happy: good area for jobs, my family lives nearby, the change of seasons, shopping, found friends I really like, like my neighbors, love the lot my house is on, national news is local news, found a church we love, my kids are happy here.

Unhappy: expensive, traffic, lot of counting other people's money, I hate hot summers, people seem to think when they complain that things should change to the way they like.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM

15,215 posts, read 17,920,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrive View Post

Unhappy: expensive, traffic, lot of counting other people's money, I hate hot summers, people seem to think when they complain that things should change to the way they like.
Hehe, I actually count other people's money for a living. Makes living in NoVA more depressing.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 PM

5,603 posts, read 9,525,629 times
As I stated in the many other threads: happiness is in YOURSELF, some folks want others to make them happy and that can't happen. I do also believe though that this area is possibly too fast paced, etc. for some and that is fine - you do need to be somewhere that you enjoy something basic: the weather, your job, amenities, whatever so you can pursue further happiness.

I am generally happy here, sure there are things I'd like to change and I personally don't see living here for the rest of my life, but I make do/ensure that I'm happy with the way things are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia