Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My sister has two kids (one boy and one girl) with late August birthdays (Aug 25 and Aug 29). Their cutoff in PA was Sept. 1. So they really were going to be the youngest if she sent them on time. In each case the children were academically ready (they were both reading) and their preschool teachers felt they were ready to start kindergarten. Before she made her decisions, she fretted over her choice for years. She ended up deciding to send each one on time (didn't hold them back). Her children are now 21 and 19. Looking back, she says she wished she had held her daughter back. Her son was fine academically, emotionally, and socially. Her daughter was always behind socially, and academically she was just "eh." Is there any way she could have known that at age 5? She says, "no." Unfortunately, only hindsight is 20/20. I have a 2-year old son with a late July birthday and plan on sending on time, unless I have reason not to. But I do hate the idea that he will be one of the youngest in his class.
Your son will hate it too. Why set him up to always be the youngest kid in the class? And most likely one of the smallest. My brother and I were always the youngest in our class and we hated it. Everyone got to do everything before we did. Also, if my brother had been among the oldest he would have been more likely to be better at sports.

Academics are not the problem, not in kindergarten. It's the social and psychological aspects all through school. And if the child has ANY problems, the school will always jump to the conclusion that the young age is the problem. The reality may be something else entirely, but it's an easy out for administrators, just blame it on the age of the child and look no further. Cheaper and easier for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
This is the drawback I've heard about. The age gap seems even larger when you compare the two. I've read and discussed this with people and most agree that if your child seems ready, his/her preschool teacher thinks the child is ready, and your child is excited about going to let them start. If not, keep them back a year. Some people think ahead to when the child will be in high school; for boys and sports they think it's important that their son won't be one of the little ones and has a better shot at making the teams. It's called red-shirting kindergartners. I'm not saying that's horrible, in fact if you have a small boy child and he's on the shy side, maybe it would be good to hold him back if you think he'll get picked on.
PLEASE do not rely on a pre school teacher. Kindergarten is NOT the problem with young students. Nearly ANY kid can do well in kindergarten. It's SO much more, it's the upper grades that matter FAR more than kindergarten. The youngest kids are at a big disadvantage socially in 7th grade, 9th grade, etc.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
My b-day is in July. I started school at age 5. As did many other "summer birthdays." I didn't know this was such a huge deal.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:47 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Someone is always going to be the youngest in the class.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:06 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,817 times
welll just wait until my CT transplants come to the school my kids will absolutely be the youngest since CT has the 12/31 cut off and they wouldn't have even been able to start k in Virginia when we did

I agree with those who said that if your sons are physically small, that should factor in. My son is tall for his age and to look at the class as a whole, you would never know he was younger than every other boy in the class. My daughter is average sized and again she does not look small amongst her 2nd grade classmates...in fact she is bigger than some of them. In fact in the class, the kids that stick out are the ones that were held back and are a year older...

To the person who said they have never heard of anyone regretting holding back...I have absolutely heard of it.

and to the person concerned about getting their license last...come on, it's a matter of months, that is going to ruin your life? that's ridiculous.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 AM

85 posts, read 224,487 times
My daughter whose birthday is Sept 23rd already completed kindergarten when we moved to Georgia.

Georgia follows the birthday policy however I would not allow them to place my daughter in kindegarten.

I had the documents faxed from the school in NY stating that the kindergarten was accredidated and she was placed in 1st.

Now she is a sophmore in high school with an excellent GPA and is one of the youngest in her class.

If I didn't fight for her or just allowed her to repeat kindergarten who knows if she would have thrived or not.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
You can't possibly see into the future. Just go with your instincts. IMO, if you're in doubt, it's better to err on the side of sending them rather than holding them back. You can always keep them in kindergarten for another year if necessary, but it's much more difficult to have them skip ahead later. And, as a previous poster mentioned, northern Virginia is full of transplants, many of whom began school in systems with very different starting dates, including those from countries in the Southern Hemisphere with different school years. It all works out.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 AM

247 posts, read 688,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
PLEASE do not rely on a pre school teacher. Kindergarten is NOT the problem with young students. Nearly ANY kid can do well in kindergarten. It's SO much more, it's the upper grades that matter FAR more than kindergarten. The youngest kids are at a big disadvantage socially in 7th grade, 9th grade, etc.

You can't make blanket statements about the "youngest kids are at a big disadvantage socially..." That will not apply to every kid. There are those who are ready to go even if they are young for their class and do fine socially, academically, sports-wise, whatever.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
...and to the person concerned about getting their license last...come on, it's a matter of months, that is going to ruin your life? that's ridiculous.
Look up "tongue in cheek".....

Old 09-07-2009, 08:34 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpascal View Post
You can't make blanket statements about the "youngest kids are at a big disadvantage socially..." That will not apply to every kid. There are those who are ready to go even if they are young for their class and do fine socially, academically, sports-wise, whatever.

Denton is the master of the blanket statement....

I agree that the "young for their class" can excel if they want to. The stuff about being at a disadvantage in sports is just an excuse. If they want it bad enough, they can do it!

For me, it was football...I wanted it! I trained and practiced on my own (and with dad) for years and it paid off. I went straight from the freshman football team to the varsity squad and I started (offensive line) my junior and senior years. And this wasn't some namby-pamby program....these were the legendary Bob Hardage's championship Annandale teams of the late 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia