U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,951,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
If they did very well as the youngest, think what they might have been had they been among the older group! They may have been the STARS of their schools.
You can't just assume that an older child is going to be more successful. I have seen it with my own eyes that they are often underchallenged, bored and can become troublemakers and bullies. Frankly I feel sorry for those boys in my twin's grade.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,106,031 times
I've also seen the boys who are the oldest become domineering and bully-ish, especially if they're physically bigger than the other kids. I've also seen girls who were the oldest become manipulative with friends when they reach the junior high clique-y stage. And I've seen students who clearly would have benefited from going later. There's no set answer. (And Denton, how do you know that my kids weren't/aren't stars at their schools ?)

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM

12 posts, read 9,585 times
Ayt . I think it doesn't matter at all !

Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM

35 posts, read 64,468 times
Am I to understand that the parent even has an option of going in early or holding back a year? My daughter is a late Nov birthday and I think the cutoff in Stafford is 9/30. She is very advanced (physically and intellectually); do I even have a fighting chance of putting her in kindergarten 2 months before her 5th birthday?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM

5,913 posts, read 6,168,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjiSmith View Post
Am I to understand that the parent even has an option of going in early or holding back a year? My daughter is a late Nov birthday and I think the cutoff in Stafford is 9/30. She is very advanced (physically and intellectually); do I even have a fighting chance of putting her in kindergarten 2 months before her 5th birthday?
No, generally you only have the option to hold back. It's very hard to push ahead.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 826 times
my child is eight yrs old thought he was going from 2nd to 3rd only to find out hes not birthday is in apr my first thought is its not fair to him he is very disapointed and only has a half a day of school left

Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM

120 posts, read 224,416 times
People often talk about holding their kids back in order to give them a better chance. You have to know your child. I believe this to be the truth. Holding them back does not give them a better chance in my opininon - in some ways I feel that if a child is challanged they will need to work harder to keep up. This is not necessarily a bad thing. If a child is challanged becuase lets say they are younger rather than older and maybe not as challanged - isn't it better to have a child work harder? I don't know - just my 2 cents. Its like what is called sand bagging in volleyball. Its where you enter a division which you know your competition is not as tough and you have a chance to win RATHER than to go against the people in a harder division where you may have to fight against every opponent and not win/place. However going again tougher opponents gets you to be a better player and you have to work harder to get ahead. I don't know if that is the most appropiate example but again it goes back to the challange thing. I also don't understand what is the big deal with testing. If you child gets tested and can pass - then great! The schools seem to make testing for entry passed the cutoff date a really rare exception.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 PM

120 posts, read 224,416 times
If your child misses the cut-off date you have the option of enrolling them into private kindergarten which in Fairfax is ridiculously expensive....and I fault the school districts becuase if you pay they recognize that your child has completed the grade and at the end.....your child goes to 1st grade in public as long as he/she is 6 by Jan 1st of that year.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM

980 posts, read 2,054,777 times
There are no advantages in my opinion. My oldest daughter was born in November. She was allowed to start school in September, then was kicked out when someone realized that her birthday was two weeks beyond the 10/31 cut off. Even though she could clearly handle the work and had no trouble keeping up with the other kids, it was decided that she wasn't ready. That was 12 years ago, and I still don't agree with the rule. Every child is different and should be evaluated as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy339 View Post
My sons have August birthdays. Is there an advantage to holding them back from kindergarten for a year or does it not matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia