U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:51 PM

17 posts, read 34,698 times

Advertisements

How does this area (dulles/sterling - 20166) compare to neighboring Ashburn in terms of real estate appreciation and resale?Do you think being closer to airport and more commercial real estate(shopping centers)/companies(AOL etc) might be bad for the residential communities?Personally as buyer ,I find these 2 factors as positive instead of negative. (Wanted to know how others on the forum feel about buying a home in this zipcode).Are schools really bad compared to Ashburn?

Last edited by movtova; 02-18-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movtova View Post
How does this area (dulles/sterling - 20166) compare to neighboring Ashburn in terms of real estate appreciation and resale?Do you think being closer to airport and more commercial real estate(shopping centers)/companies(AOL etc) might be bad for the residential communities?Personally as buyer ,I find these 2 factors as positive instead of negative. (Wanted to know how others on the forum feel about buying a home in this zipcode).Are schools really bad compared to Ashburn?
If you feel those are positive aspects, that's all that matters. I lived in almost the same area (near Frying Pan Park in Herndon, which is not Sterling but next door). IMO, being close to IAD was wonderful. I also liked having a lot of commercial buildings nearby. There was a huge shopping/office complex about 6 blocks from my house, so everything we wanted was within walking distance. Yet, once you drove down the side streets my neighborhood seemed apart from all that. The neighbors were tight knit and kids played in the streets.

I will say, though, that it was a starter home. We just sold it and bought a new house in Cascades and as much as I was very happy in Herndon for many years, Cascades is an upgrade.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks Caladium. I find surprising that there is not even a single Loudoun County Public School in this zipcode..20166.This probably means not much residential development/construction has happened in this area.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,234,619 times
Quote:
Thanks Caladium. I find surprising that there is not even a single Loudoun County Public School in this zipcode..20166.This probably means not much residential development/construction has happened in this area.
No, the reason that there isn't any schools is that 20166 is Dulles airport. I'm actually surprised that they group any residential streets as part of the Dulles zip code.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 PM

You bring a good point Guamanians ..Does this mean the residents of 20166 cannot expect any public school of their own?In that case ,sounds like it is better to not look for a home in these communities :-)

Loudoun Valley - The Overlook - New Homes in Dulles, VA by Toll Brothers (http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesearch/servlet/HomeSearch?app=community_description&comm_num=4804 - broken link)

http://www.richmondamerican.com/Find-Your-Home/Virginia/Northern-Virginia/Winsbury/Community-Landing.aspx (http://richmondamerican.com/Find-Your-Home/Virginia/Northern-Virginia/Winsbury/Community-Landing.aspx - broken link)

These are the 2 communities i know in the zipcode.Toll brothers has been there for a long time and richmond american is relatively new.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
You bring a good point Guamanians ..Does this mean the residents of 20166 cannot expect any public school of their own?In that case ,sounds like it is better to not look for a home in these communities :-)

Loudoun Valley - The Overlook - New Homes in Dulles, VA by Toll Brothers (http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesearch/servlet/HomeSearch?app=community_description&comm_num=4804 - broken link)

http://www.richmondamerican.com/Find-Your-Home/Virginia/Northern-Virginia/Winsbury/Community-Landing.aspx (http://richmondamerican.com/Find-Your-Home/Virginia/Northern-Virginia/Winsbury/Community-Landing.aspx - broken link)

These are the 2 communities i know in the zipcode.Toll brothers has been there for a long time and richmond american is relatively new.
I don't think it is a big deal really. You can transition north into Sterling which is zip code 20164. I'm sure there are other zip codes all around there. I just know that 20166 is Dulles airport (and apparantly surrounding locales)

Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Transition into 20164 is the part that worries me.I have been told by many friends and others to stay away from 20164 zipcode.I heard 20165 area of sterling is really good in terms of schools , community etc but all old construction(1990's).I guess Sterling is not really a place for my home search.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Transition into 20164 is the part that worries me.I have been told by many friends and others to stay away from 20164 zipcode.I heard 20165 area of sterling is really good in terms of schools , community etc but all old construction(1990's).I guess Sterling is not really a place for my home search.
It's not all bad. If you're worried about Sterling, then maybe check out Reston, Herndon, or Chantilly. But, (depending on who you ask) Reston & Herndon will have the same stigma attached to them that Sterling does.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:14 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,865 times
Quote:
The kids in that area currently attend these schools:

Rosa Lee Carter ES (Ashburn)
Stone Hill MS (Ashburn)
Freedom High School (South Riding)

Rosa Lee Carter ES and Stone Hill MS are both located within the other part of Loudoun Valley Estates. Toll Brothers is on the hook to complete Loudoun County Parkway through to 606, and that will make it easier to get from one side of LVE to the other, without going down through Arcola and back up. The school board is probably unlikely to redistrict those kids across the Greenway to Sterling schools. The area you're considering is technically Sterling but it's really closer to Brambleton and Arcola. Brambleton kids attend Stone Hill MS.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:58 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,292 times
The schools for the area off Old Ox Road originally mentioned, Oak Grove, are Forest Grove ES, Sterling MS, and Park View HS. There are 2 other areas in Sterling in the same schools, Dominion Station and Peace Plantation, off Church road. Another area in 20166 is the area near Dulles Town Center, south of Rt 7. Those schools are Countryside ES, River Bend MS, and Potomac Falls HS. All these areas are in Sterling and all are in 20166.

I don't understand what stigma is supposedly attached to Sterling, Reston, or Herndon. All of those areas have lower priced housing along with housing in the million dollar range. I would say that is true for most areas in NoVa except for the newer areas built in the last 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia