U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM

65 posts, read 172,360 times

Advertisements

Strasburg area....

My wife and I could potentially be relocating to the strasburg area due toour jobs. She will be relocating from orange county, CA and I will be relocating from the Greenville, NC area.

I've read so much about NOVA being expensive and all, but I still had a few questions. My wife and I will be making in the 6 figure salary range combined but we are still very frugal pple and are pretty careful with how we spend money.

We dont mind a 1hr commute (from what i understand, for folks in this area, thats almost standard). What areas should we look at? I've identified manassas from google maps but ive read some bad things about it already. My wife always readily wants a great mall that is accessible within 20-30 miles, good restaurants and likes to go out often. I've also identified Chantily and leesburg. Are these areas in the "boonies". I've head Mclean is nice, but that puts us out of the 1 hr commute target.

We probably will be renting an apartment for a while, then move on to renting a house before even thinking about buying. Any ideas or help will be appreciated!!

Alex

Last edited by bimori; 09-09-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,053,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimori View Post
Strasburg area....

My wife and I could potentially be relocating to the strasburg area due toour jobs. She will be relocating from orange county, CA and I will be relocating from the Greenville, NC area.

I've read so much about NOVA being expensive and all, but I still had a few questions. My wife and I will be making about 180K+ combined but we are still very frugal pple and are pretty careful with how we spend money.

We dont mind a 1hr commute (from what i understand, for folks in this area, thats almost standard). What areas should we look at? I've identified manassas from google maps but ive read some bad things about it already. My wife always readily wants a great mall that is accessible within 20-30 miles, good restaurants and likes to go out often. I've also identified Chantily and leesburg. Are these areas in the "boonies". I've head Mclean is nice, but that puts us out of the 1 hr commute target.

We probably will be renting an apartment for a while, then move on to renting a house before even thinking about buying. Any ideas or help will be appreciated!!

Alex
It's true that a 1hr commute is more or less standard out here but not necessarily for a "reverse" commute like you are considering. Strasburg itself is essentially a small town surrounded by "the boonies".You may want to consider Winchester which is a lot closer (~20 miles) and will probably have a lot of the things you are looking for, except perhaps a major mall.

The closest major shopping mall would be the Premium Outlets in Leesburg which might appear to your frugal sensibilties. Leesburg itself can be a nice place to live; it's the "capital" of Loudoun County, so to speak. The downtown area has a Main Street feel to it. Others here can direct you to about neighborhoods in general.

Chantilly seems to have blossomed as a relatively affordable choice for those who want to live in Fairfax County, especially for those who work in the Dulles and Tysons Corner areas. You would probably find yourself heading out of town for anything beyond the usual suburban midscale retail suspects, but Dulles Town Center outdoor mall as well as the colossus that is Tysons Galleria would be within striking distance.

I only "know" Manassas primarily through consensus here rather than much experience. It does appear that some parts of the city and surrounding area are nicer than others. You would probably find yourself spending free time in Old Town Manassas. Again, others here can fill you in better with their impressions.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM

380 posts, read 999,864 times
Winchester does have all the retail you could want including a mall.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,053,392 times
You are right, clintsullivan! Here it is:

Simon Malls | More Choices — Apple Blossom Information, Apple Blossom Gift Cards

Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,624,845 times
I would look for a home in the Haymarket area, there are some nice older homes and some recent development. You will be about 45 min from Strasburg one way on route 66 and about the same driving time to Fair Oaks and Fair Lakes shopping in the other direction and a little farther to the Dulles Town Center in Sterling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia