U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,108,375 times

Advertisements

It's not the only 'skinny' house around. I'm familiar with one in Alameda, CA and here's an article about "Spite Houses".

Spite house - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,633 times
OMG that Princess St house is like a dollhouse it's so small! How much was it listed for out of curiosity?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 AM

7,910 posts, read 7,242,975 times
nice view from the bathtub

DC Metrocentric Ľ Inside Clarendon’s Thin House

Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 AM

593 posts, read 2,243,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I am not familiar with the house, but I am curious on the history behind its narrow width. Property size restriction? I would think the county would have a minimum lot size for building a home. Perhaps it's built on an pre-existing home's foundation and is grandfathered. Anyone in the know?
Apparently the house got a lot of press earlier this year...this should explain it:

What’s the Skinny? - Housing Complex - Washington City Paper

Quote:
In 2003, builder Clarke Simpson purchased the lot on Barton Street and knocked down the small home there. He expected to build two bungalows in its place, but he needed a zoning variance. He wanted to stretch one of the homes five feet wider, from 12 feet to 17 feet.
Two houses down the street got built with the variance, so he didnít anticipate a problem.
Then he met the neighbors, who were tired of seeing two houses packed in where one used to be...
he told them: ďI would build a modern skinny house. They didnít believe me. They said, ĎAre you threatening us?í I said, ĎNo, Iím telling you Iím going to build a modern skinny house if you donít give me the variance,íĒ
It's interesting that the house is being rented...I think that it is a cool/unique house to look at, and it is pretty big (almost 3,000 sq.ft) it just doesn't seem that usable for a family in the long-term...especially for $1 mil.

But I remember that they were originally asking 1.125 mil in early '09...the developer has got to be losing money on this one

Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,778,081 times
Default Spite House

The Spite House | Old House Web Blog

Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,120,605 times
I remember when they knocked down one house on 11th near Barton and put two skinny length-wise houses on the lot. Reading above, looks like this developer wanted to do the same.

This business about developers (or owners) fighting their neighbors about their plans, then doing something spiteful reminds me when I rented a house from a guy in N Arlington who had his house plans nixed by the community, so he dug up to whole back yard and left it bare dirt out of spite, and let the house go unpainted, unfixed. Cheap rent for me, though!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
OMG that Princess St house is like a dollhouse it's so small! How much was it listed for out of curiosity?
I don't know. The hard-sale time I remember was when it was on the market previously, when it sold in 2005. At that time, it sold for $535,000. I believe it took more than a year on the market. I noticed it was up for sale again this or last year, but I didn't take a look this time.

It's very cute, has a spiral iron staircase to a single-room upstairs (if I recall from the open house years ago). If it were just me and my wife, I could live in it.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If it were just me and my wife, I could live in it.
I think that the biggest problem with buying a skinny house wouldn't be living in it -- it would be trying to sell it eventually.

Seems like they'd be better off as rentals...since two people could live comfortably in one, but it wouldn't be as useful to a family with kids.

Guess that's why the Barton St. one is being rented...

Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Just found it, near Pershing. Used to do laundry at that shopping center.

If you look at Google Street View, the house isn't built yet. They've put down some foundation, and you could mistake it for work being down in someone's driveway!

N Barton St, Arlington, VA 22201 - Google Maps

Old 09-11-2009, 11:25 AM

That shopping center is a mystery to me...when I moved to the area ~1.5 years ago they were just closing it down.

They just closed down all of the shops, put a big fence around it, and haven't done a thing for 1 year now. The whole complex is starting to be overgrown w/ weeds and just looks unsightly. It's right in the Skinny House's backyard.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what is going on with that little shopping center? I'm wondering if someone had plans but financing fell through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or